Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 3:48:41 PM EDT
Beretta M9 magazines?

Considering getting an M9, but don't know that much about them.

Wondering what's so special about the new "Sand-Resistant" magazines with "PVD" finish that the USMC is supposedly in cahoots with Beretta on.

Midwest Gun Works has em for $39.

Any better than the inexpensive Checkmate Industries mags?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
cdnn has em 10$ cheaper. and they are 17rnd too.

www.cdnninvestments.com/be909m17blma.html

they just have an indent down the side that the follower rides on instead to let the sand by.

i would get mecgar mags before checkmate.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a stronger spring and a ridge to dust/dirt can move to.  I have used my issue ones for a while without any failures.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
good weapon that can take a beating. issue mags are fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nope..............    
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on where in Oregon you are. I don't know too much about the geography out there as I've only visited the PacNorthwest portion of family out in the Yakima Valley one time. Still, I'd say that you'll be fine with most any magazine as long as you're west of the mountains. Unless you live in a sand-box. I'm partial to factory mags and don't any magazines that aren't stamped as Beretta's own.

That said, +1 on cdnninvestments for mags, they're the best prices around. Also check the EE, that's where I got most of mine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the Checkmate mags, for the price they can't be beat.  I love my Berettas.  I have 3 and saving to buy a 4th.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Beretta M9 magazines?

Considering getting an M9, but don't know that much about them.

Wondering what's so special about the new "Sand-Resistant" magazines with "PVD" finish that the USMC is supposedly in cahoots with Beretta on.

Midwest Gun Works has em for $39.

You could try these....www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=89&t=464047&page=1

I ordered some.  I have not been to the range w/ them as of yet.  They were Airtronics marked, current USGI contract, I guess some have been Checkmate marked.  @ 5 for $45 shipped, it's worth the "chance".

FB
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I just range-tested the new Mec-Gar AFC 18rd and 20rd magazines yesterday in my Dad's new (to him) 92G.

Of all the magazines I have used over the years (MG, factory Beretta, Check-Mate, etc) these are by far the finest and finely made.  I completely recommend these mags above all others.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Copes Dist.
They are in the industry section.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I 2nd the Mec/Gar's!!!  just as good as factory, cheaper, and hold 3 more rounds..... what's not to love???
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
/\  Big + 1.  I love my 18 Mec-Gar mags, they are the shit.  No (2/M9 is complete without 6 or more of these.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why I bought 8 of them!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on the Mec-Gar 18 rounders.  I got tons of factory 15's, and only a few 18's, and all i use are those 18 rounders... about 1k rounds down range, never a problem, and they don't show wear as bad as the factory ones.  The sand proof ones are fine, if you live in arizona, otherwise, get the mec-gar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted: i would get mecgar mags before checkmate.
I'd stay away from Check-Mate mags. They are prone to rusting. I've only used Mecanica de Sarca mags with my 92fs. As far as I know, they are the actual manufacturers of the Beretta brand mags. Mec-Gar seems to have a good rep, but I haven't had to buy any new mags.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'd stay away from Check-Mate mags. They are prone to rusting. I've only used Mecanica de Sarca mags with my 92fs. As far as I know, they are the actual manufacturers of the Beretta brand mags. Mec-Gar seems to have a good rep, but I haven't had to buy any new mags.

MECCANICA DEL SARCA (MDS) is part of Beretta Holdings.

sarca.it/frameabout.htm

FB
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
another +1 for 18rd mec-gar
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Old fashioned tag for info in thread.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
One question I have regarding the Mec-Gar mags is where can a person purchase replacement mag springs once the original ones wear out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MECCANICA DEL SARCA (MDS) is part of Beretta Holdings. sarca.it/frameabout.htm FB
Arfcom is better than Wikipedia!
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Those are for the 90-Two not the M9/92FS
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the 15 rd with the metal follower and baseplate. I just don't trust the new 18 & 20rd Mec-Gars with the plastic baseplate and plastic follower.

I've had a couple bad experiences with these type of mags, one a Mec-Gar 17rd and one a Beretta 19rd made by Astra. Both were high quality mags, but the non-legged hollow plastic follower design can cause problems. One time I took a spill with the 17rd mag and the follower was vertical on the inside of the mag and had jammed it up.

Same thing happened to me with an Astra made Beretta 19rd mag once, but was not a result of a jar that I know of, I just happened to remove the mag one day and it was that way. I'd not had any problems with the mag before and both kinds always ran fine at the range. But that time I was carrying around a 1 shot Beretta for awhile and didn't even know it. Stopped trusting both of those mags after those episodes!

Now I only use the factory/MDS or Mec-Gar 15rd mags with the solid (with legs) followers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are for the 90-Two not the M9/92FS

The 90-Two magazines work just fine in the 92FS/M9 pistols. I have been running them for a few years without complaint.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]
GREAT thread!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The gray Beretta PVD mags are excellent and a far cry from the shitty Checkmate mags.

Mec-Gar 18rd mags are excellent too, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#26]
44MAG_COM,

You are correct, Sir.  They are the finest magazines in the world, for the best combat handgun in the world.  I have two M9A1s, and two CX4 Beretta carbines.  Those are my carry mags, as well as my initial combat mags.  Though I have Pro-Mag 33rd mags for the CX4s, the first 60 mags are all Mec-Gar AFCs in 20rds.  I talked to the head of Mec-Gar here in the states by phone, when they first came out, and bought my first twenty from him.  Glad that you're now carrying them, and I'll be placing an order with you, next month, for another twenty.  Every semi-auto weapon should have at least twenty mags apiece...

Those of you that have family or friends in Iraq or Afghanistan, send them at least five mags from Mec-Gar...  The 20rd AFCs are "cheap" insurance, and a gift that will keep on giving...

CFL, out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top