Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 6:30:49 PM EDT
I am looking to pick up a 9mm large frame handgun to help my wife shoot all that 9mm we bought (like she needs any help!)

I've limited the choices down to a Beretta 92 FS, Browning Hi-Power, or a CZ 75.  What do you have and what do you suggest?  What are some plus's and minus's of these firearms?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably find that the regular 92FS has a grip too large for her hands, they're to large for most peoples hands.  There's a new 92 Vertec model though that has a smaller grip so you should make sure you look at it when deciding.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say either the Browning if you want a single action 9mm semi auto and the Beretta if you want a double action.

I would really have to disagree on the part about the Beretta being to large for small hands, we have a red gun training aid modeled after the Beretta in my Criminal Justice class, same size and feel (I know because I have handled the Beretta before in real life and I am in no way a FNG to the firearm world, I have handled and fired firearms since I was 10, I have researched firearms since I was 8), of course the weight isn't the same though there is a model offered that duplicates the weight but that is like 159 bucks which is to much.  But the smallest girl in my class, she is about 5'1 to 5'2, weight at about 85-93 lbs, and small hands (really if you think of the word mouse you would think of her), but she can hold the model just fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a 92FS & a High Power, like them both but love only the HP. For me, it just seems to point better.

The HP was adopted by more military's than any other sidearm before or since. There's a reason for that.

The best thing to do is have your wife shoot them before you buy them. Failing that, have her handle them at a gun show.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The CZ is a nice shooting but heavy gun.  The one I've handled had a steel frame.  Nice to shoot but you'll be making a lot more trips to the chiropractor if you carry that thing.  

The Beretta I own is deadly accurate.  My next gun will be a Browning Hi-Power.  The gun feels great in my hands and they have a lot of history behind them.  One thing with the Hi-power like the 1911 there are no real drop in parts.  The guns are nice though.

The Hi-Power or Beretta will serve you well.  Find a range that rents guns and test fire both.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
What BobCole said.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I gave my Beretta 92f/s to my Mom for Mothers Day and she loves it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The Browning is tought to beat for point-ability (sp?).  The grip is also a little smaller (at least it feels that way to me).  If the SA vs. DA is not an issue, get the Browning.  Also dont overlook the Sig 228.  You'd have to give me 2 Berreta 92's to get me to part with my sig 228.  My wife, (5'2'', 115 pounds) prefers both the sig and the Browning to the berreta.

Insert ** what Bob Cole said here **
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
HP:  small grip, sweet trigger, single action.

92FS:  large grip, avg. trigger, DA, ambidextrous weapon, de-cocker.

CZ75:  small-med grip, creepy trigger, DA/SA (allows CnL carry) no de-cocker, cheap hicap mags.

If I was serious about a CZ, I'd get the CZ75BD, with the decocker for a more traditional double action pistol.

I have owned all three.  The only one I still have is the 92FS.  I found I was most accurate with it, I really dont care for SA pistols, and the CZ's trigger bothered me.  If I would have had a better trigger, and a BD model, I would probably still have the CZ.  I will be getting one of those one of these days, if I find one cheap.

I think you should really consider a Sig P226.  Hardly ever hear anything bad about those.... and they are known for great triggers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
HP:  small grip, sweet trigger, single action.

92FS:  large grip, avg. trigger, DA, ambidextrous weapon, de-cocker.

I think you should really consider a Sig P226.  Hardly ever hear anything bad about those.... and they are known for great triggers.

Of course the HP would have a smoother action than that Beretta, it is a single action and basically operates off a static trigger, a very light pull will cause it to go off.  If you are going to think of buying a Sig I would say a P228, it has a small grip and is compact over its full size brother the P226. But look into the Beretta series of the 92, they have a good line of pistols from the compact models to the full size.  But try to find a range that rents and have her fire off some rounds with each.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I've heard only good things about CZ 75's but the trigger will be heavier as it is an import and finish won't be as nice. the 75's have nicer grips but then you can change out te grips on your high power to combat grips that look and feel better for about $50

HP :

1 It shoots every time you pull the trigger

2 It is accurate (under 5inches at 25yds with both HP's I own)

3 It is affordable ($300-$500)

4 Hi capacity 13-15-17rd mags availible through Cdnninvestment.com

5 it has a nice grip frame

6 it has a single action trigger

7 it has a safety

8 recoil is moderate to light

9 dissasembly is easy (lock the slide half open with the thumb safety and pull the slide stop out) [it is one thing I would like to see on my 1911- 1911's take a hold it back at the right point while pushing out the stop which is harder to do.]

Beretta 92 (my results are all M9 based)

1 It may jam a lot (I couldn't get two in succession from 10 M9 pistols drawn from my units arms room) I hear Civy pistols actually shoot.

2. the grip frame sucks- it is wide and too small in circumfirance

3. I don't like the open topped action (this is opinion)

4. the trigger is terrible and may lead to fliching and inaccuracy.

5. capacity is high 15rds.

6. it isn't terribly accurate 5-7inches at 25yds

7. recoil was high for a 9mm
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I own both a Beretta 92FS and a CZ 75 and I really must say it would be a toss up in my book.

I'd probably lean toward the 92FS simply because of the de-cocker. It's deadly accurate and very reliable.

The trigger on the CZ is a bit heavy, but not much heavier than anything else. The finish on mine is just as good as the Beretta, and mine is an older model marked with "Made in Czecklosovakia" before there was such a thing as the Czeck Republic. I've never had a single jam with it (3000+ rounds through it) and its always been accurate as all hell. Oh yeah, and I don't consider the weight to be that bad as some people say, but that's something that will vary by the person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top