Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
I enjoy long hot showers (who doesn't), and usually leave my SW laying on the counter. There is a LOT of steam in the room for around 30 mins. Is there any possibility of the steam infiltrating the powder in the ammo?

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibility is such a loaded question. I'd have to assume you don't run a horrifying risk if you cycle your defensive ammo. I live in a climate that's a constant shower.

ETA: I'd worry more about eventual rust to the internals than the ammo failing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Isnt Remington Golden Saber sealed around the primer?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you carry in the shower?
If it's that dangerous just get soap on a rope
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would you carry in the shower?
If it's that dangerous just get soap on a rope

"That's not a treasure!  That's soap on a rope!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I shower with my GLOCK on a shelf anove the shower head. No problems, but I cycle out my carry ammo every week at the range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I shower with my GLOCK on a shelf anove the shower head. No problems, but I cycle out my carry ammo every week at the range.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew a guy in school. He had served in the military, I don't remember which branch, but he was some kind of MP. This seemed to qualify him as a weapons expert and he spent lots of time "Schooling" me in why his Sig 226 was a better pistol that a Glock, 1911, etc...

Finally one day I asked him if he wanted to go to the range with me so I could try this wonderful firearm. He told me that it wasn't possible cuz during a visit by his brothers family and kids he had stashed the 226 on a shelf above his shower and forgot it there. It had rusted almost solid.

The guy was a fucking
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not the ammo I would worry about.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you saying you take your gun to the shower with you?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying thats a bad idea?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever floats your boat bro.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm just saying man, where do you draw the line? gun in the gunsafe? Gun in the trunk/glove compartment? Carrying a gun when your outside the house, inside the house?

It also depends on where you live, I don't know where triburst lives, but I know if I lived alone in a shady apartment building, i'de shower with my piece nearby as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every neighborhood has the potential to be a "bad neighborhood"..........

Or at least make it on the evening news.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Purely playing the percentages (hey, an alliteration!), I think it's probably overkill, too.

But with Senor Murphy, and his damn law............. well, let's just say that I'd hate to be the guy you read about who was surprised by a home invasion while he was on the shitter.*

Jake.

* Also applies to the shower.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep my Beretta 92FS on a shelf above the showerhead also.

I breakdown and relube everything weekly. Ammo is also cycled out weekly.

No problems so far. Just make sure you keep oil on it.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Better wipe that thing down with an oily rag or silicone cloth pretty soon afterwards.
RUST!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]
. . . or just buy a Glock and forget about it.

I shower with a G19 on the sink outside the shower and I don't lube or clean it at all afterwards.  I change out my ammo every other week and occassionally clean it but thats it and no rust EVER.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#19]
If BigBore can leave his Glock in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a bag of rock salt on top of it and after 4 days pulls it out and shoots it i dont think 1/2 hour of minimal steam will affect it if oiled now and then, just keep an eye on your ammo and cycle it out now and then and you be fine

as to anything but a Glock i dont know, my Glocks i have i know i can beat and punish, but my 1911's i treasure and i wouldnt want them going throuhg it, but like i say my Glocks are the the weapons i know wont be hurt by just about anything
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Try a clean, dry, plastic zip lock bag.  Put the weapon in the bag prior to going into the bathroom.  I wouldn't leave it in the bag after getting out of the bathroom.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I do keep it in the shower room with me. The door to the bathroom is locked, the home security system is on, home door is bolt locked.  I am not an extremely paranoid person, but due to a few ‘life incidents’ that have occurred to me I am extra precautious.

My deal is that I carry ALL of the time, to the point that I feel if I ever go without having a weapon close to me for even 10 seconds, if something were to happen, it would happen in those 10 seconds when I was least prepared.  Being murdered is one thing, but being murdered with the twist of irony that it was the one minute in the last 6 months you were without your gun, well that’s just shitty.

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#22]
never thought about this issue.  I'm going tol be putting a gun in the bathroom from now.  Great idea.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Better wipe that thing down with an oily rag or silicone cloth pretty soon afterwards.
RUST!

The pistol is a GLOCK 19 and I've been doing it for years with no problems at all. I have never used any oil or protectant on the outside of the pistol.

For those who think it is a stupid idea:
When could you possibly be more vulnerable in your own home than when you are in the shower? You're naked and it's hard to hear anything with the water running and the door closed. I would prefer not to add unarmed to the equation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#24]
+1

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When could you possibly be more vulnerable in your own home than when you are in the shower? You're naked and it's hard to hear anything with the water running and the door closed. I would prefer not to add unarmed to the equation.

HIJACK

kids were sleeping, about 10 pm, wife is not home yet.  Alarm is on, bathroom door is open, taking a shower.  My wife scared the living shit out of me.  I didn't hear the beeping of the keypad, or the front door.  she yanked open the curtain and screamed.  I happened to be rinsing my hair at that second.  I can't believe how vulnerable I was.  I could have had my frickin AR in the damn shower with me, it would have been useless.  

I am getting a transparent door put onto the shower, and I WILL get even.

Hijack over.

Fish
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HIJACK

kids were sleeping, about 10 pm, wife is not home yet.  Alarm is on, bathroom door is open, taking a shower.  My wife scared the living shit out of me.  I didn't hear the beeping of the keypad, or the front door.  she yanked open the curtain and screamed.  I happened to be rinsing my hair at that second.  I can't believe how vulnerable I was.  I could have had my frickin AR in the damn shower with me, it would have been useless.  

Hijack over.

Fish

Yes, I like the "tactical" see through shower curtains.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]
TriBurst-> Where you at in KY?

“See Through Bullet-resistant Tactical Assault Shower Door complete with gun rack & built in range finder”. Sorry, thought of having AR in shower with me caused an outloud laugh … not good when you’re browsing from work….

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#28]
why not create a little "insulated" drawer within read as part of the bathroom cabinetry and keep a stainless in there with one of those moisture packets and just check it occasionally?...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I think this depends on your situation, but your better to be prepared than not. Every neighborhood has it's possible trouble and you can take it how you want. There are always vagrants and theives walking around that are looking for an opportunity. I take my 92FS with me when I shower and keep it under my shirt and clothes on the toilet cover to protect it from excessive moisture, but normal quality ammo can take that kind of moisture easily. Soaking it in water would be another thing, but there was a lesson passed on to me a while back of sealing your primers with a little bit of clear nail  polish around the primer seat to keep out moisture. If you do it right and let it cure properly the ammo will be pretty much waterproof. That's what alot of the Navy Seal ammo is like, but it's contracted like that from the ammo manufacturer.  Ammoman even had some overrun for sale a while back from what I remember. I live in a humid environment as is and keep putting off doing to all my back stock of rifle ammo too, but I'll get to all of it soon enough. I keep all my firearms properly corrosion protected inside and out and wipe my pistols that I take everywhere off just about daily with some Tetra oil and  grease. That keeps them very well protected for just about anything but a long swim in the ocean and not time to do it afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#30]
gee, I guess I'm not the only one with a "shower" gun. Wow and here I was thinking I was nuts for keeping a gun with me in the shower.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I am working out a patent on my new Rubber Ducky AOW as we speak.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
gee, I guess I'm not the only one with a "shower" gun. Wow and here I was thinking I was nuts for keeping a gun with me in the shower.

Hell no, there was a thread about this on WarRifles a while back too, that had many many responses. You'd be surprised just how many people do and prefer to be able than not if something were to happen when their a bit indisposed on or around the old porcelain god.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RUST!

The pistol is a GLOCK 19 and I've been doing it for years with no problems at all. I have never used any oil or protectant on the outside of the pistol.

For those who think it is a stupid idea:

You are 100% correct!!! I carry too in the shower, a SIG 229 with no problems ever. I keep it oiled.

The scary thing is you can't hear anything with the water running.....remember the movie Psycho?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I know it's a only a movie but look what happened to John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.  He was at the guys house to kill him and went to the bathroom, leaving his weapon on the kitchen counter.  The guy got home and used John Travolta's machinegun on him.  

It could happen to you.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#35]
They aint takin me on the shitter!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I think even if your pistol was rusted shut, the image of a naked guy holding a pistol while covered in Mr. Bubble soap would seen most criminals running out of a house due to flashbacks of the tossed salad man from their old cell blocks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#37]

HIJACK

kids were sleeping, about 10 pm, wife is not home yet. Alarm is on, bathroom door is open, taking a shower. My wife scared the living shit out of me. I didn't hear the beeping of the keypad, or the front door. she yanked open the curtain and screamed. I happened to be rinsing my hair at that second. I can't believe how vulnerable I was. I could have had my frickin AR in the damn shower with me, it would have been useless.

Hijack over.

lol, Your wife has a pretty good sense of humor, lol, Keep us posted on the Revenge part.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I dont worry about steam much. besides there is no place hotter or damper than iwb carry in Virginia during the summer. gun still goes bang
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#39]
  Maybe you guys should consider wearing your body armor while in the shower for peace of mind!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top