Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2010 6:49:50 PM EDT
I've been a gun guy for awhile and I'm looking to get my 1st 1911....I'm hard on my guns at the range and in daily usage but i clean them well and expect them to work. I know that I cant be totally crazy with a 191 1but I expect it to take some abuse. I'm just curious what the hive would suggest for a finish.

Take in mind that I live in Florida and its not going to be a high end 1911...more then likely it will either be a Taurus or a lower end Springfield(before anybody says it yes I know i could get a used Colt but I honestly can't find a used Cold in my price range that I like. I've handled Colts and the only ones I like are the high end ones...I know it sounds crazy)
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:09:10 PM EDT
First off skip on the Taurus and thank me later.

For a production pistol I would recommend a Springfield every day of the week over a Taurus no questions asked.
For model of a SA look for a Loaded in stainless and I think it will do everything you could ever want and more. They are fine pistol not a high end pistol but has the bells and whistles for the price you pay. If you want more options a used Kimber Warrior would be a score also.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:09:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:05:24 AM EDT
To answer your question, I don't think you can go wrong with either a blued or stainless. The choice comes down to your individual tastes.

I can tell you I have a stainless that shows little scratches here and there but most can be removed unless they are deep. There are so many "blue" type finishes available today that give the buyer many choices––hardhat, melonite, ionbond, etc. I would think with an EDC piece in Fla. a blued gun would hold up better.

jmho
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:12:49 AM EDT
Rock Island Armory Park'd
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:35:39 AM EDT
You can almost blow the finish off of a blued Taurus 1911 with your breath. Wear resistance is almost non existent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:18:39 AM EDT
a blued finish will not hold up well. I love the look of a blued gun but damn, it just isnt that tuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:23:18 PM EDT
I'd be inclined to recommend stainless if you don't mind sliver/bright colored guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2010 5:38:55 PM EDT by C_Rion]
Sir, I honestly believe, that at your pricepoint, you are going to be dissapointed in the 1911. I would seriously and honestly suggest you hold off and save a bit more, till you can afford one in the $750-$800 range. This puts you in Colt 1991A1, Remington R1, Kimber Custom 2 range. I know you say you only like high end Colt, but honestly, the new CNC produced basic Colts have been deemed by some very competent 1911 folks to be some of the best 1911 pistols Colt has ever produced. I just think you'll be alot happier saving for a while longer and getting one of the above three over the Brazillian Knock offs.

ETA: Blued steel. Cheaper for your price point, and a Break Free CLP cloth weekly will keep corrosion at bay.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:36:42 PM EDT
You need to take a long hard look at the Rock Island series of pistols. Full size, tactical, "commander" sized, and compact. I've got 2 (full sized and compace) and I trust my life to them. They are relatively inexpensive and a great value for the money. Wipe it with a silacone cloth and you'll have all the rust resistance you can ask for.

ka
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 2:15:39 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]

Originally Posted By C_Rion:

ETA: Blued steel. Cheaper for your price point, and a Break Free CLP cloth weekly will keep corrosion at bay.

Nobody in their right mind would get a blued gun in an environment that'll exacerbate corrosion. Park is nice because it can be rubbed down with CLP and it will hold onto it, not to mention that it wears much better.

Besides, the OP states that he's looking for Taurus or lower Springfield. Sounds like a $600 gun. Nearest new Colt is $750 (1991 NRM), and he can't find an appropriate used Colt.

IonBond/Melonite>Hard Chrome>Ceramic coat>spray-coats>parkerizing>bluing>bare carbon steel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:59:01 PM EDT
Whatever guy. I have been carrying blued and parkerized guns for 14 years, in some very austere and corrosive enviroments, and not once have I had corrosion issues, and none of those weapons have been "stainless".
My advice to the OP to save a little more and get a better American produced Weapon and not one of the two Brazzilian knockoffs still stands.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:24:48 PM EDT
Before This goes any further let me clear something up....I do have a wanting for a nicer, higher end 1911. The TRP is actually on my "guns-to-get" list.

To C_Rion: Actually I don't think I will be disappointed. I have personally taken out The Taurus 1911 and 2 different Rock Island 1911's(the 5inch and the 3 inch) We ran them REALLY hard. 400 rounds per Rock Island in about 3 hours and a little over 200 rounds in the Taurus(the owner has ran over 2000 rounds though it in just a few months) We ran all of these 1911's without a single malfunction. I will be the very 1st person in line to bash a Taurus but now I have to rethink my statements. I also think that YOU(C_Rion) are missing the entire point of a true 1911....From what my grandfather used to preach to me about 1911's they are supposed to be inexpensive workhorses/combat pistols that go bang with a big hole. They were not deigned to be high dollar show ponies......just a thought from my grandfather.

This does'nt mean I don't appreciate the craftsmanship of a Nighthawk or a Wilson. It also doesn't mean I wont tweak mine just a little bit.

So back to the "OP"...is it seeming that Stainless is the preferred?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 7:32:18 PM EDT by C_Rion]
Sir, I believe YOU have missed the true price point of a Modern manufacture 1911. In your grandfathers time, skilled craftsmen with the knowledge to build a good gun were plentiful and cheap, so the guns were affordable. Today , a skilled craftsman who has the knowledge and skill to build a good gun is NOT plentiful, so you have to pay more to get the same level of skilled labor that was cheap in your fathers time. In 1911's, you absolutly do get what you pay for. But hey, if cheap is what you want, then there are obviosuly makers who are happy to oblige you, but, do not think for a minute that a modern cheap 1911 gun will be any near the quality of a TRUE 1911 built 50 years ago. It will NOT!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:26:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 12:26:09 AM EDT by balloo93]
For a bang around 1911 I'd say get the RIA Tactical. Price is right and if you decided to upgrade, the majority of part out there will swap on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:03:47 AM EDT
I would get a springfield loaded myself, but if I truly wanted cheap, I would buy the RIA tactical before the taurus...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:42:56 PM EDT
Parked RIA or SA Mil Spec
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:46:08 PM EDT
i live in hawaii where humidity and salt air spray can be a serious problem. SS would get my vote for a knock around gun
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:50:29 PM EDT
I've only got two 1911's, one Springfield Mil-Spec, lightly customized, and a Taurus.

So far, the Springfield has been 100% reliable. Any ammo, FMJ or JHP. Any mags. It just runs.

The Taurus has failed repeatedly. Doesn't matter what mags, what ammo, it just failed constantly. I just got it back from Taurus (turnaround was quick, about 1 week), but I haven't had a chance to check function.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 10:07:41 AM EDT by porider]
I must have gotten lucky on my Taurus PT-1911s. Both are the Park Railed versions. One was new and the recent I got used. Both run just fine and is very accurate to boot. The only complaint is the finish and the sights. Oh man the finish sucks, but believe me when I say I do not care. They are cheap (in the relm of 1911s) but the slide to frame fit as well as the bushing and barrel fit are great for a $500-$600 1911. Sure you'll fine better finishes in a Springfield TRP or a Ed Brown but you could have bought a lot of ammo for the $$$ you plunked down. Truth be told I would not grab either Taurus 1911s if in a SHTF situation. I'd defer to me Les Baer. For the range and some fun times plinking the Taurus cannot be beat, especially if you drive it like you stole it! I'd go with the Taurus as a first entry level 1911. Do not take the red pill like I did and start down the 1911 12-step program. Step 1 - Buy an entry level 1911 thru Step 12 - Buy more 1911s in different flavors and sizes... Not good for the wallet.

Top Top