Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2004 11:23:15 PM EDT
I'm going to be going on a fairly long backpack trip, and am thinking of carrying a pistol for protection. I know it's unlikely that I'll be confronted by an angry animal, especially one that wouldn't be turned away by some good bear pepper spray. I just like the idea of having a good weapon, "just in case." (As a side note, I'm considering a S&W 629 Classic).

Now, to the point of this post: With a full-on hiking backpack on my back, hip belt, sternum strap, and all... Where the heck do I put the gun?

And if you guys have any input as far as the right weapon, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk (Blue as it has the alloy Gripframe) chambered in the 45 Colt with a cast 335 Gr. bullet loaded at 1250 fps in a cross draw holster would do niceley.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried a S&W 625 Mountain Gun for years and it's very handy to carry.  (It can also be had in .44 Mag)  But because S&W won't admit that it can handle anything hotter than standard 45 Colt loads, I have started carrying a stainless Ruger Vaquero also in 45 Colt but loaded with some stout loads from the Hodgedon manual using Lil Gun.  Very snappy.  Tho the sights are fixed and low, they are still quite visible (I painted the back of the rear sight with flat black Testors model paint) and it shoots everything to point of aim within 25 yards.  It's a little less compact than the Mountain Gun but I love the extra power and handling.  I also prefer the old factory walnut grips to the new factory grips.  They have a little more texture.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Mag-Na-Port custom Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag.  I had the barrel shorted to 5.25 inches and ported.  I carry it in a Mernickles crossdraw hoslter loaded with some 320 handloaded cast bullets.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I also think a thigh holster would be the way to go. A little o.t. but I think a rig like Kurt Russell had in Romancing the Stone for a 12 gauge would be real handy.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have spent nine of the last 15 years in the field and find that I hate carrying any extra weight.  Really slows me down, but I am skinny and a wuss.  

I recommend that you look at the pistol pouch that The Wilderness manufactures.  It comes in some different lengths.  I lash up two 1" quick release nylon web straps.  The first loops over my shoulder, the second around my abdomen.  So I wind up with the pistol strapped firmly cross abdomen on me.  This keeps the rig out of the way, discreet and protected, yet not too unaccessible.  You'd probably have to monkey with the set up with a full pack

With the above rig, I don't need to partially lift the rig each time I tromp with my right leg, like I'd have to with a thigh holster.  

I have a Dan Wesson that I dearly adore, but I have to say that if I were only anticipating needing the handgun for last resort protection against humans, I'd carry a Kahr P9.  Compact, lightweight and points fast.   Any of the plastic framed autos would work well.  

For me, 240gr bullets add up too quickly for extended backpacking in mountainous terrain.  

FWIW, I work in the same office as a guy who did his Master's thesis on non-lethal deterrents on black bears on Prince of Wales Island in SE AK.  After juicing bears with pepper, bean bags, bird bombs and the like, he concluded that he doesn't trust any of them.  

FWIW II, pepper spray is not recommended for deterring black bears (at least not on the Tongass Forest).

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
techcas....i have been looking for that 12g back-holster for awhile now. Must be a custom rig. Can't seem to find a manufacturer for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top