Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 4:38:50 AM EDT
There's a great article in AM Handgunner this issue on a 'smith who converts Lugers to Baby Lugers!

Shorter grip & barrel seems to be the major conversion. These look like a work of art.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the price wasn't listed.

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't get that magazine, would the gunsmith's name be John Maartz, perchance?
He used to do some fantastic conversions on Lugers a while back....carbines, babies, some very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, it's Neil Keller.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I did the finish work on Neils first baby Luger.  Here is a picture of it
http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/GBaby2.jpg
Here is a second one that Hugh Clark did the work on and I rust blued.
http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/DGBaby2.JPG
See my website at:
members.rennlist.com/lugerman/
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, Thor! I edited to make your links hot, hope you don't mind.
Good to see you again!
How is the Finest Luger Restorer I know doing these days?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you Hannah for that!!
This is just one area that is really fun right now with my business.  I have another Baby Luger coming in a week or two that will have the owners initials FM engraved over the chamber and gold inlayed.  We used a modified Portuguese M2 chamber marking as the base for the design.  I also am working on my own Baby Luger that Hugh Clark built. All the Hugh Clark Babies will have a script "hc" engraved on the rear toggle much like the "gl" of Georg's Baby Luger.  It will have a German Eagle on the chamber (as well as the top of the presentation box) and the grips will be laser engraved with the eagle on the top much like Party Leader grips were made on a PPK.  I am refinishing a Mauser Broomhandle Carbine at the moment (I know you like those) which is pretty fun.  Thanks for the help and "hello"  Always a pleasure talking to you! And you are so right Mr Martz is a genius with Lugers and P.38s.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't mind me asking, how much do these Baby Luger's go for? Not that I can afford one, of course.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Bob, you need to contact Neil Keller at [email protected] or Hugh Clark at [email protected] for pricing of the Luger work.  See my pricing at my website http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/  for finishing work.  I know Hugh has a couple of year waiting list for his Babys but I dont know about Neil. The Babys that Hugh is making are typically finished by myself. These are being made about 3-4 a year.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bob, you need to contact Neil Keller at [email protected] or Hugh Clark at [email protected] for pricing of the Luger work.  

As I said, I clearly cannot afford one so I'm not wanting to waste their time asking them via e-mail. I just thought I'd add them to my "cannot afford until I win the lottery" list.      
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually they conversion is quite affordable. If you provide the gun I believe the price now is $1000. Usually $600 more if you do not have a donor. Here are pics of my baby, I believe it is the third or fourth one done.

gallery.rennlist.com/lugergallery/albun16/baby_left

gallery.rennlist.com/lugergallery/albun16/baby_right

gallery.rennlist.com/lugergallery/albun16/baby_HC
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
$1000 isn't a bad price considering what gets done & what they look like, IMO. Not to mention that the cool factor is off the charts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top