Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:27:04 PM EDT
I know people are most likely sick of "this or that" threads but I need some first hand advice on what I should get Saturday.

I have a toss up between an IMI Baby Desert Eagle fullsize 9mm (Steel frame) and a Taurus PT92 9mm standard edition. Let's take cost off of the table for the time being, rest assured I'll get a good deal on either. Which would you choose and why?

I am currently leaning towards the Baby Eagle just because it is a different handgun than the ones I currently own or have owned, being a CZ action. I have also never owned a Beretta 92 or clone before but from my reading and looking the Baby Eagle seems to have a slight edge on the Taurus in my book right now... but I'd like to hear from folks here to get more "firsthand" info on either if there are any owners here who care to share some insights.

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, I'd go with the Baby Eagle and then acquire a real Beretta 92 later. I don't particularly have anything against Taurus, but if you're going to get a 92 you might as well get the real thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I really want a nice Beretta 92 sometime in the future but right now I only have enough cash for a Baby Eagle or a PT92...

One specific question I did have about the Baby Eagle if anyone knows is every now and then on websites and in one catalog they show the Baby Eagles as having polygonal rifling but nowhere else mentions that... is it true that they have polygonal rifling or is that a misprint?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the exact model you are looking at. It is an excellent pistol and it will not disappoint. I have not had a single malfunction with any kind of ammo. Well over 1k rounds through it. They do have the polygonal rifling. Works great!

-Foxxz

ETA-Pics. The color might look funky because of the flash,

nullbits.foxxz.net/babyde

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/guns/DCP_1900.sized.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Baby Eagle and love it, I'd recommend it.  A bit heavier than the Beretta but definitely a stout gun.  The only real problems I've had with the BE were due to some crappy mags.  Stick with factory mags and it should serve you well.

What are you going to be using this pistol for?  If you have any other specific questions on the BE, let me know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
While I'm a fan of the BE, and the Beretta 92, I'll say that the PT is a wonderful gun in its own right.

It's got frame-mounted controls, which I think is something Beretta should have done LONG ago, and it's reliable and accurate.

They're a great bargain, for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
While I'm a fan of the BE, and the Beretta 92, I'll say that the PT is a wonderful gun in its own right.

It's got frame-mounted controls, which I think is something Beretta should have done LONG ago, and it's reliable and accurate.

If I'm not mistaken, Beretta DID mount them on the frame long ago, but stopped for some reason. That's why (I think) they're on the frame on the Taurus version: Taurus bought Beretta's Brazilian factory/the rights to the pistols back in the day, when I *think* Beretta still had the safety on the frame.

But I digress. I would personally rather have a PT92. I've read posts by people who owned a Beretta 92 and a Taurus 92 and like the latter better. Safety is more accessible and they're cheaper. Trigger's not quite as nice, but not bad either. Taurus has good customer service, but what about the Baby Eagle? Can't say I've heard anything about their CS either way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, Beretta DID mount them on the frame long ago, but stopped for some reason. That's why (I think) they're on the frame on the Taurus version: Taurus bought Beretta's Brazilian factory/the rights to the pistols back in the day, when I *think* Beretta still had the safety on the frame.

But I digress. I would personally rather have a PT92. I've read posts by people who owned a Beretta 92 and a Taurus 92 and like the latter better. Safety is more accessible and they're cheaper. Trigger's not quite as nice, but not bad either. Taurus has good customer service, but what about the Baby Eagle? Can't say I've heard anything about their CS either way.

You're right about the frame controls on the Beretta - they DID have them at one point. Forgot till you mentioned it and I looked it up in my Beretta stuff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If going with a Taurus 92 I'd suggest an older one without the decocker.  I had an old PT99 with the standard safety and my dad has a PT92 with the decocker.   If you like safety on carry it's awfully easy to accidentially decock the pistol.   I liked cocked and locked even on the DA pistol.  

I did crack the locking block on the PT99.   I was experimenting with some very heavy cast bullets and overdid it.   Taurus replaced the top half of the gun with no charge even though it was clearly my fault.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
poll it!

BE over taurus

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the BE.  The trigger feels much more solid the the 92.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Baby Eagle and the firing pin broke.

MRI wouldn't sell me a firing pin, they insisted on my sending the gun to them, and they would send me a bill.

What really bothered me was that they refused to ship it back to my residence, they would only ship to a business address or a FFL.

After the gun was fixed, I sold it and won't be buying any more MRI products.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold my beretta 92 simply because the Baby Eagle is such a great gun. I never would shoot the beretta. Part of that was because I don't like the grip on it, it's to fat. The baby eagle from an ergonomics stand point is just awsome. I haven't found a handgun that fits my had as well.

I'd post pics, but for some reason my host site doesn't show any of my pics
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#13]
waiting for someone to call it the BEagle.

lol...

I'd take the Taurus. Iv'e got one of the older ones, PT92AF, and i love it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the inputs. I added a poll to make this more fun.

As of right now I'm still leaning towards the Baby Eagle just because it is "different" from most of my current collection. To answer the big question of "what will this pistol be used for" is that it will simply be another piece in my collection, used almost exclusively as a target pistol at the range. I already have a Sig 228 and a Sig 232 that fit my defensive needs and I'm comfortable with both so any new handguns I buy are religated as "toys" until they prove themselves better than my weapons of choice for keeping my family and I safe.

Here are a few more questions on these two handguns for the owners to answer:

- do accessories made for the Beretta 92 fit the Taurus PT92? Such as grips, barrels, etc.?

- I have seen several strange models of the Baby Eagle including an IPSC version with a longer barrel, magwell job and other add ons... do people make aftermarket parts for the Baby Eagle or are those things unique to that IPSC pistol?

- Is it true that other CZ derived magazines work in the Baby Eagle? I've read of people using Witness mags in their Eagles with no problems.

- on that same note do Beretta mags work in the Taurus?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the inputs. I added a poll to make this more fun.

As of right now I'm still leaning towards the Baby Eagle just because it is "different" from most of my current collection. To answer the big question of "what will this pistol be used for" is that it will simply be another piece in my collection, used almost exclusively as a target pistol at the range. I already have a Sig 228 and a Sig 232 that fit my defensive needs and I'm comfortable with both so any new handguns I buy are religated as "toys" until they prove themselves better than my weapons of choice for keeping my family and I safe.

Here are a few more questions on these two handguns for the owners to answer:

- do accessories made for the Beretta 92 fit the Taurus PT92? Such as grips, barrels, etc.?

- I have seen several strange models of the Baby Eagle including an IPSC version with a longer barrel, magwell job and other add ons... do people make aftermarket parts for the Baby Eagle or are those things unique to that IPSC pistol?

- Is it true that other CZ derived magazines work in the Baby Eagle? I've read of people using Witness mags in their Eagles with no problems.

- on that same note do Beretta mags work in the Taurus?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

As far as accessories for the baby eagle, I'm not aware of anyone that makes things for them. As to the mags for CZs working, I'm only aware of the Witness amgs being interchangable, and only with the fullsize guns at that. I run two IMI factory mags and two witness mags, and two MecGar mags, all function great, the two factory mags are needing new springs soon I think. The MecGar mags are listed as 15 round mags, but they will actually take 16 and function reliably(infact the 15 next to the capacity on the packaging was crossed off and 16 writen in so they re probably gtg for either capacity)

Magnum research is a PITA when it comes to getting a new fireing pin. They require that you send them the gun to replace it because they have to do a "safety check". The fucked up thing is that there is only one way to properly put the fireing pin in the damn gun and still have the safety/decocker work properly. I was toying with the idea of sending my gun into them for a new fireing pin, and taking the old one out beore hand so I can get a replacement one to have on hand. But it's my primary pistol and I don't want to be without it. I was told a Witness fireing pin will work too, I have ben meaning to try it out but never got around to it.

As far as holsters and such for the BabyEagle. check here
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Buddy of mine purchased a PT99 the same day that I purchased my Glock. We have both ran 300 round through each gun with zero malfunction.

I have a 1988 model PT99 (back when they were almost exactly like Beretta's) and I have only had 1 malfunction. It stove-piped one round when my buddy was shooting it. It really needs to mag springs (17 year old mag springs).

It has been a good gun. Just to big for me to carry. Buddy of mine conceals his pt99 great. He is alittle bigger around than me tho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

MRI wouldn't sell me a firing pin, they insisted on my sending the gun to them, and they would send me a bill.

What really bothered me was that they refused to ship it back to my residence, they would only ship to a business address or a FFL.

I think they won't sell you a firing pin because they want to make sure the pin gets pulled into the slide before the hammer drops so it doesn't hit the pin. The whole "won't ship it to a residence thing" might be a Fed-Ex rule as thats the carrier they use.

However, I think they will ship firing pins to gunsmiths and let them install it. Depending on the gunsmith you might just be able to buy the pin from them or find a dealer that can order the pin on your behalf.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they won't sell you a firing pin because they want to make sure the pin gets pulled into the slide before the hammer drops so it doesn't hit the pin. The whole "won't ship it to a residence thing" might be a Fed-Ex rule as thats the carrier they use.

However, I think they will ship firing pins to gunsmiths and let them install it. Depending on the gunsmith you might just be able to buy the pin from them or find a dealer that can order the pin on your behalf.

-Foxxz

It's not the shipper they use, I've used fed ex to ship and recieve my handguns back form work before.

The other part regarding the pins, Magnum research wouldn't even send a FP to my local shop that is a magnum research dealer. Like I said there is only one way that FP can go in and the safety/decocker still work. I take mine out after every 1k or so when I do a massive cleaning of the gun, never ever ever had an issue with it after putting it back in. They will sell you every other pin and spring for the gun though. I just overhauled most of my springs, just got to put the new extractor spring in and I'm done. I'll find a way to get me a couple spare FPs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I see quite a few folks mentioning the Baby Eagle's firing pin... is there a chance the pins in the Baby Eagles are a tad on the fragile side? Or is this just normal wear and tear over time?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I see quite a few folks mentioning the Baby Eagle's firing pin... is there a chance the pins in the Baby Eagles are a tad on the fragile side? Or is this just normal wear and tear over time?

I've never had a problem with mine. I personally have over 10k though this BE and I bought it used. It's just a bitch to try and get one to have on hand as a spare part just in case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Full size Tarus.

You can't beat the lifetime gurantee.

Max
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The tip broke off mine after the 4th or 5th range visit.

If you do end up buying one, DO NOT dry fire it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
It's petty, I know....but I can't bring myself to purchase a gun with the name "Baby" in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's petty, I know....but I can't bring myself to purchase a gun with the name "Baby" in it.

Can always pseudo-lie to yourself and just call it a Jericho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dry firing doesn't stress the tip of a firing pin. Think about it - it's passing through a hole in the bolt face and meeting what? A primer? Nope. Air.

The only thing a dry fire may wear out is the shoulder of a firing pin, but even then if a modern centerfire can't be dry fired often, I'd consider that gun to be a collassal POS and not worth owning.

Some rimfires can't be dry fired because the tip really does contact the breech and can damage it beyond repair. Nearly all centerfire guns of even remotely decent manufacture should be capable of dry firing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for everyone's input on this, it's giving me a lot to think about.

I also just found out two more twists to the "one or the other" decision... my FFL friend who is showing me the Baby Eagle and Taurus PT92 tomorrow morning called and said he now has TWO PT92's he will have on hand, the standard blued and a new high polish stainless one he just got in today. He also cleared up the Baby Eagle for me... it's NOT the full length fullsize with the 4.7" barrel that he has but the shorter 3.7" barreled fullsize model.

So now between the two, Baby Eagle 3.7" fullsize or one of the two Taurus PT92's... and if I choose the PT92 which is better wear wise, the blued or the stainless? And when he told me "high polish" stainless does that mean this stainless PT92 is going to look like a pimpgun? I have nothing against high polish glossy weapons but they always look a bit too "clean" and "showy" for my tastes...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If anything you probably ended up with a bad fireing pin to begin with. I dry fire mine all the time and it doesn't hurt my gun and I'm still on the first FP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Thanks for everyone's input on this, it's giving me a lot to think about.

I also just found out two more twists to the "one or the other" decision... my FFL friend who is showing me the Baby Eagle and Taurus PT92 tomorrow morning called and said he now has TWO PT92's he will have on hand, the standard blued and a new high polish stainless one he just got in today. He also cleared up the Baby Eagle for me... it's NOT the full length fullsize with the 4.7" barrel that he has but the shorter 3.7" barreled fullsize model.

So now between the two, Baby Eagle 3.7" fullsize or one of the two Taurus PT92's... and if I choose the PT92 which is better wear wise, the blued or the stainless? And when he told me "high polish" stainless does that mean this stainless PT92 is going to look like a pimpgun? I have nothing against high polish glossy weapons but they always look a bit too "clean" and "showy" for my tastes...

I'd still take the Baby Eagle, it will still take the 16rd mags.
Does the Baby Eagle have slide or frame mounted safety??
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#29]
He told me the Baby Eagle has the slide mounted safety that doubles as a decocker.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dry firing doesn't stress the tip of a firing pin. Think about it - it's passing through a hole in the bolt face and meeting what? A primer? Nope. Air.

The only thing a dry fire may wear out is the shoulder of a firing pin, but even then if a modern centerfire can't be dry fired often, I'd consider that gun to be a collassal POS and not worth owning.

Some rimfires can't be dry fired because the tip really does contact the breech and can damage it beyond repair. Nearly all centerfire guns of even remotely decent manufacture should be capable of dry firing.

The problem with the Baby Eagle is that the firing pin can protrude too far through the firing pin hole.  The tip of the pin is long and narrow, and prone to damage.  Other guns like the CZ52 and Star Model B can break firing pins if dry fired, so why not the BE?

The fact remains that mine did break as a result of dry firing.  I pulled it out of the case, loaded it up and got nothing when I pulled the trigger.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem with the Baby Eagle is that the firing pin can protrude too far through the firing pin hole.  The tip of the pin is long and narrow, and prone to damage.  Other guns like the CZ52 and Star Model B can break firing pins if dry fired, so why not the BE?

The fact remains that mine did break as a result of dry firing.  I pulled it out of the case, loaded it up and got nothing when I pulled the trigger.  

You don't know for a fact that it was BECAUSE of the dry fireing. I dry fire mine at least three times a week, over 200 times per. I've got over 10k though the gun and I've yet to have a problem with it. Now perhaps the dry fireing contributed to it because it was a bad FP from the get go, but just dry fireing alone would not do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Well it's time to make a decision for me, I leave for my FFL's house in half an hour. The only three pistols he will have out for me to inspect (and buy one) are the Baby Eagle and the two Taurus PT92's. I'm definately getting one... but which one?

I thought I'd have my mind solidly made up by now but after doing more research and reading through this thread I have that seed of interest in the PT92 growing larger. This may be a tough decision to make this morning. I think it is all going to come down to which one "feels right" in my hands and which one looks to be the best quality.

Here I go!

I'll post which one I bought on my return later today. Thanks for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well it's time to make a decision for me, I leave for my FFL's house in half an hour. The only three pistols he will have out for me to inspect (and buy one) are the Baby Eagle and the two Taurus PT92's. I'm definately getting one... but which one?

I thought I'd have my mind solidly made up by now but after doing more research and reading through this thread I have that seed of interest in the PT92 growing larger. This may be a tough decision to make this morning. I think it is all going to come down to which one "feels right" in my hands and which one looks to be the best quality.

Here I go!

I'll post which one I bought on my return later today. Thanks for everyone's input.

What are the chances he comes back and says, "I couldn't make up my mind so i got both"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#34]
GLOCK !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I'm back and it seems I was not swayed by the PT92's... while they did look nice and feel solid they where just too beefy for me. The Baby Eagle's grip felt just right in my hand and the simple control scheme really won me over fast over the PT92. Now I know the PT92's controls are just as simple but my fingers easily reached the all important slide release and mag release well on the Eagle but I sort of fumbled with the PT92.

The PT9s2's where much higher quality than I think my mind was expecting... and much larger than my mind was expecting as well. I might seriously consider one of them later on down the line but for today I'm glad I chose the Baby Eagle. Now that I'm home and I've had a chance to take it down, give it an introductory cleaning and going over I'm liking the design more and more. I plan to take it out to the range this afternoon for a shakedown, then I'll know for sure if this was a really good choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well I'm back and it seems I was not swayed by the PT92's... while they did look nice and feel solid they where just too beefy for me. The Baby Eagle's grip felt just right in my hand and the simple control scheme really won me over fast over the PT92. Now I know the PT92's controls are just as simple but my fingers easily reached the all important slide release and mag release well on the Eagle but I sort of fumbled with the PT92.

The PT9s2's where much higher quality than I think my mind was expecting... and much larger than my mind was expecting as well. I might seriously consider one of them later on down the line but for today I'm glad I chose the Baby Eagle. Now that I'm home and I've had a chance to take it down, give it an introductory cleaning and going over I'm liking the design more and more. I plan to take it out to the range this afternoon for a shakedown, then I'll know for sure if this was a really good choice.

I figured as much 92s are big pistols. BEagles (happy? ) are a bit sleeker IMO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Congrats on the purchase.
Be sure to post pics of it here

And if you need a holster for it, check here

IIRC you said it had the standard size frame, so 16rd mags will fit it. The MecGar mags for the EAA witness will work 100%, They are also $10 cheaper then the "factory" mags from both  EAA and Magnum Research. And MecGar makes their "factory" mags so that should tell ya something. Go to CDNN for mags as they continualy have the best prices.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You don't know for a fact that it was BECAUSE of the dry fireing. I dry fire mine at least three times a week, over 200 times per. I've got over 10k though the gun and I've yet to have a problem with it. Now perhaps the dry fireing contributed to it because it was a bad FP from the get go, but just dry fireing alone would not do it.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not buying another one to find out.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Beretta 92 and can certainly tell you that in my opinion the Baby Eagle is more comfortable in the hand although the 92 is not bad. If I was getting a new one though and it was going to be blued I would get the Baby Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, Back from the range with my Baby Eagle. Two words: LOVED IT.

The trigger is smooth, the mag release is quick and effortless and the recoil is very manageable thanks to the beefy heft of the thing. I'm so used to my light alloy Sig 228 that this BEagle feels like a tank even though it is only a few ounces heavier.

Accuracy is pretty good for a pistol I never shot before. From 15 yard benchrest shooting a few boxes of Winnie White 115 grain 9mm I was able to keep my groups inside the green ring... or about a 4" to 5" grouping. I started tightening it up on my third and fourth tries and on the last round of the day easily had the groups inside 4". It only came with 1 10 round factory mag so I had to keep reloading that guy... more high cap mags are on my list to buy right now and I think I'll stroll over to CDNN here and see what they have on hand.

Got it home about 45 minutes ago and gave it it's first "dirty" strip down and clean and the nice polygonal rifled barrel cleaned to a mirror shine very easily. It got it's final CLP wipedown and took it's place on the rack in the safe.

All in all I'd rate it a 8 out of 10 on the satisfied meter... losing one point because it only came with one low cap mag and losing the other because while it was good it was not the best new gun experience I have ever had. I'll take it out again next weekend, hopefully with more mags by then and see how it turns after a nap in the safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top