Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2010 2:26:47 PM EDT
Hello.
I would like to borrow an XD sight tool.
I will pay $20 for your time and shipping both ways.

Check my feedbacks

Thank you
Jake
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck..   I have not seen a tool that has worked for the XD's yet.

If someone knows of one that actually works please chime in.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
mallet and a brass drift
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello.
I would like to borrow an XD sight tool.
I will pay $20 for your time and shipping both ways.

Check my feedbacks

Thank you
Jake

Trust me...you would do well to let a gunsmith work on XD sights. They are a notorious PITA.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If I'd had a cutter small enough, I'd have MILLED the old sights off. I've changed sights on everything, just about, including Kimbers, and these were silly tight.

Defectively tight, IMHO. Removable sights should be removable.

Gunsmith got them off with a pusher (don't know what brand) and about an hour's time. I've heard that a newbie with a pusher will likely break the pusher....

Larry
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for input.
However I still want to try it.

BTT
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for input.
However I still want to try it.

BTT

Since we fix people's "try's", if you think you you can borrow someone's sight pusher DO NOT try to remove stock sights with it unless you are prepared to buy them a new sight pusher.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If you haven't already, check over on XDTALK because a lot of them have done it themselves.  I had AJAMES do mine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]
What part of TX is AJAMES in?
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I got mine installed by a gunsmith here in Houston if you need one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What part of TX is AJAMES in?

He is in Alabama, but all you need to send him is the slide, No FFL required and you should have it back quickly.  He duracoated mine and put new sites on and it was 7 days total til it was back in my hands.
http://xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Welcome.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Meprolight U.S.I.T should work to do it.  You will not find a beefier unit.
U.S.I.T.
Chart

Things I learned:

•LUBRICATE SHAFT (through frame itself and on the shaft as well) with CLP or the shaft will freeze up if pressing in/out stubborn sights.
•LUBRICATE SIGHT CHANNEL(s) with oil.
•Use leather pieces on each side of slide to help slippage.
•Put hand on top of slide when pressing to stop twisting and PUSH DOWN HARD.
•Put electrical tape on sight block to stop marring.
•On Heinie rear sights and Glocks you cannot get the pusher (straight edged side) to go on the outside of the sight when installing the new sight so DON’T TRY.  Use electrical tape and the angled edge to start it in then switch when there is enough room if it isn’t going well.  Possibly install a thin aluminum shim on the height block as well to raise the slide slightly as long as the pusher still clears the slide?

Before I learned the first 2 points I thought I broke the tool as it froze on me.  After lubricating it all the black crap came out and it works just fine again.  Meprolight told me direct to lube the shaft and the sight channel after I called and asked what I did wrong.

I found mine used for $225 shipped.  If you find one use it once and sell it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
If I am just installing the sights I have a 24hr turnaround. If I get your slide on Tuesday then by Wed afternoon it is back on its way to you. I also personally call every install customer to follow up that the package did ship on day of shipment.
XDTOM40 thanks for the plug.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
i used this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458 to remove the rear sight.  it broke a front trijicon night sight off and left the base of the sight in the dove tail  i don't think anyone will let you borrow a tool, because they'll fear your xd will break it, or it'll break your sights.  its worth paying a gun smith

ETA the tool in the post above mine has the same risk of breaking the front sight off.  i'm conflicted if i should mail my slide to springfield or if i should just hack saw the sumbitch out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top