Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2003 8:07:03 AM EDT
This particular brand seems to have a pretty miserable reputation for manufacturing quality. They were recently acquired by Kahr Arms and supposedly their QC is improving. Anyone have any experience with Auto-Ordnance?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one about 10 years ago, loose as a goose, but I never had any trouble with it.
Here's a recent thread.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=5898
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a decent .45 when I owned one about a decade ago. Not very accurate though. Loose tolerances. I have owned many 1911 style pistols in my years from AMT, Norinco, Star, amoung others. I own a Springfield .45 now and LOVE IT!!!
 It might be interesting to see if they improve in time with Kahr.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I had years ago shot really well, way better than I expected.
Of course that was only one example.
I have heard gunsmiths prefer not to "work" on them because they are cast, that I can't verify either way.
Worst case, check the warranty included, or at least be prepared to do some "tweaking" yourself.
Also keeping in mind, these are not the most expensive .45s available.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Cast junk.
Get an Springfield or Kimber.

I won't touch them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an auto-ordnance(Thompson)10 mil,It is defiantly not cast!    About 38oz,and smooth as silk!  It came with the Bulldog lower,with wrap around rubber grips and combat style hammer!

It's not a Khar though!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Had one of the earlier mil-spec parkerized ones.  As long as I ran hardball it worked just fine.  Other bullets could be hit or miss. Got rid of it because I couldn't see the small military style sights very well.

No complaints.  Did everything I could reasonably expect a $300 1911 to do.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I would be happy to see them get rid of the Cast frame and slide and the longer than GI frame.

Why do people love to say mil spec when they aren't?

Mil-spec guns were forged had shorter grip frames, lanyard loops non-lowered and flared ejection ports, rounded hammer spurs vertical cocking serrations etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top