Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2009 11:23:44 PM EST
Saw tis today in teh fun shop:

So, how are these pistols? I am liking the throw back GI look. I would love an actuall WWII vintage 1911, but it ain't happen right now with the money I have in various projects.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 11:32:45 PM EST
I've had one for about 3 years, about 1500K rounds through. I bought it because it was an inexpensive series 70 style 1911 that I could upgrade in the future. Pistol has yet to malfunction with good mags(wilson 8rnd). I've had lots of trouble with Kimber mags and the 7rnd one that comes with the pistol, mostly Fail to Feed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 2:34:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2009 3:06:20 AM EST by pulpsmack]
Auto ords had established a fairly shady reputation for quality overall. The only one I layed my hands on had a very unnerving wobbly hammer Like there was no resistance or total play the first 1/4" pulled back, then you felt the tension past that, but it fired reliably (despite the hammer bouncing back that 1/4" ). If you want to roll the dice on a cheap copy from the 80s-90s, go with a Norinco. I'd pass on an "Ord" unless the price was too good, and by too good I am talking $300 for me, for you... up to the very bottom of the $400 range (and cosmetically beautiful to boot).
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 3:03:01 AM EST
They can be problematic... which should be expected at that price range. The last I handled looked like serious crap... which is a shame because I really want a GI style 1911.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 4:53:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By TW52:
They can be problematic... which should be expected at that price range. The last I handled looked like serious crap... which is a shame because I really want a GI style 1911.

Agreed. Buy cheap, get cheap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 5:11:08 AM EST
Had one of the older ones. It was a decent hard ball gun. Got rid of it because I couldn't deal with the GI sights. My understanding is the newer AO's are supposed to be better.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 1:12:36 PM EST
If you want the retro look, go with a Springfield GI model, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 1:17:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Had one of the older ones. It was a decent hard ball gun. Got rid of it because I couldn't deal with the GI sights. My understanding is the newer AO's are supposed to be better.

I hear the same.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 12:49:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2009 12:50:07 AM EST by 03rangerxlt]
What attracted me to this 1911 out of all of the other 1911s in the case,is it looked like a new in box GI 1911 for the most part. I mean, it was even closer than the SPringfields I have seen. The finish was nice and uniform, the grips were replica brown plastic GI issue grips. It was just right. I don't know. Maybe I should wait and hold out (if lucky) and find a reall WWII 1911 one day and put it on lay-away.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:03:44 AM EST
Seems almost everyone has heard bad things about the AO's and are quick to tell the tales. I own one and have not had any trouble out of it. The factory mag sucks but the pistol itself has been trouble free for about 1500 rds. I use either CMc or US surplus mags.Mine is a late version made by Kahr. It shoots point of aim at 25 yards with 230gr. ammo and shoots every time. Front sight is rock solid, trigger is great after a little work, no hammer slop, or any of the before mentioned problems. Newer Kahr's are series 80 style which is OK. I bought mine in order to retire my Colt goverment issue that is a family hand me down. I have had no problems with mine.
So there you have it from someone who owns and shoots an AO 1911
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:49:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2009 8:58:13 AM EST by Milo5]
Shhhhh!
Don't tell anyone!
This .45, the one right here, the one I have owned for twenty five years, put well over ten thousand rounds through, two barrels, three sets of sights, five sets of grips, two rebuilds on the guts, twice refinished, this one right here,,,,,,
It has an Auto Ordnance Frame!!!!!
Shhhhhh!!!!!

The internal parts on any of the AO guns are pretty ho-hum.
The investment cast frames and slides, some of the barrels are really quite excellent.
I put this together in 1983 after whining to some buddies in the Army.
They came up with a bunch of parts and gifted them to me with the understanding that I aquire a frame and assemble my own gun.
Auto Ordnance was the only player at the time besides Essex and I never saw one of those frames back then.
I believe I paid around $100 for this frame way back when, and I still shoot about five hundred rounds a year through this gun.
Wait correction, the round count is closer to fifteen thousand and THREE barrels, I forgot I had an Ed Brown barrel in the gun for several years, great barrel.
I started with a USGI National Match barrel, shot that out, went to the Ed Brown barrel, took that out and put a late 80s chrome lined USGI standard barrel in.
Don't let anybody tell you 1911 handguns aren't durable!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:14:39 PM EST

Nice, they actually got the thumb safety right. My Springfield "GI .45" came with a post-war "tear drop" shaped thumb safety.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:21:19 PM EST
You can always replace internals pretty easily if the frame and slide are made right.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 12:18:30 AM EST
Note that the frame is shaped like a 2 X 4 like earlier Springfields.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:55:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By BobCole:
If you want the retro look, go with a Springfield GI model, IMO.

This. I've had two SA GI's. Had a stainless, sold it, missed it, bought another (parked). Runs 100% WITH FACTORY SA MAGS. No kidding. I will always have this gun. Fun and retro factor = 10+!

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:03:30 AM EST
Tha Auto Ordnance frames are thicker at the dustcover.
So What?
I little extra material is always a good thing, especiall if you wish to add a rail for a light or laser.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:19:51 PM EST
Purchased one of the newer Kahr made A-O's about a year ago. Wanted a plain vanilla USGI style M1911A1 to shoot. Originals too rare and costly to play with nowadays.
Went with the A-O over the Spinger because it is US made and the safety is closer match to an original A1.

Several issues with it.
1.) Factory mag is poor. Replaced with Wilson and some older USGI mags. Issue solved.

2.) Jammed a LOT on initial firing. Mostly FTE. Tuned extractor. Issue much mitigated but not solved. Replaced recoil spring with stiffer new Wolff.
This along with better mags allows the gun to run almost 100% now with RN FMJ's.

3.) Front sight came loose after only 200 rounds. Almost fell out. Gunsmith repair. Issue has not repeated.

4.) Does not like hollowpoint or any flat nose bullet. Polished throat. Issue still in effect.
Don't really want to go grinding on the ramp as this was purchased as a simple plinker.

5.) Accuracy is ho-hum. Typical 4-6 inch or so groups at 20yds. I ain't no High Master shooter tho.

6.) Trigger is usable. Not great by any means. Mushy. Internals will be changed out eventually.

To date: About 1800rounds thru gun. Works fine now.

You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:31:18 PM EST
I have that very same one in your picture and my Dad has one as well.

They are great. I have shot 500+ rounds through it and it has never jamed once.

It`s no colt but for the money they are a good 1911.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:22:01 PM EST
I've had an AO 1911a1 for about the past 15 years, pre-Kahr days... other than a sharp edge on the trigger that needed filing down, its been a great gun.
Fed anything I've put into it without complaint after the first few mags. FMJ or the flattest ashtray 230gr HPs... no trouble at all.

I've since added a few "go-fast" parts such as a new trigger, guide rod, springs etc... but its still a very reliable pistol. I've had more failures from my Glock 17 than from the AO.

Yah, its doesn't have the bells and whistles or shining reputation of the Colts, SAs, STIs or others, but it can be a very serviceable pistol if you get a good one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:35:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2009 6:23:21 AM EST by pistolwretch]
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:37:15 PM EST
UPDATE - Click Here
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:06:05 PM EST
I carried a TRUE retro 1911 in Viet Nam. It had been rebuilt countless times since WWII. My Springfield Arms is a pretty close copy.

Avoid the Colts. My 900 dollar NIB 1918 retro Colt was recalled immediately and returned by Colt with a scratched up slide.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:39:39 AM EST
I bought a AO 1911A1 new in 1989. My very first 1911 pistol. Ialso bought 2 boxs of ball ammo.

The first thing I did was rush over to one of my fathers farms and put a box of ammo through the gun. Worked fine, I recall, but at home....I couldn't take the pistol apart?

My father couldn't take it apart... it just wouldn't feild strip! I took it back to the dealer next day, and he had his gunsmith whack the pistol apart with a plastic mallet!!

50 shots had peened the frame to the point the legs on the bottom of the barrel were trapped in the frame. I think Auto Ordinance had forgotten to harden the frame on my particular pistol!

Dealer accused me of shooting hot reloads, and all sorts of shit! However the gunsmith convinced him it was a dud frame, plus I showed the dealer my empty box of ammo and my full box, which convinced him the pistol had indeed only fired 50 shots(of ammo he had sold me). He traded me into a Norinco plus some ammo as the AO 1911 was pricier than the Norinco 1911A1.

The Norinco was good, not match quality, but at least servicable.

I do think my Auto Ordinance 1911 was a fluke. Many, many folks have them and have fired thousands of rounds through thiers. Mine was a short lived POS that the dealer got back the very next day
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:33:18 PM EST
I bought an Auto Ordnance M1911A1 back in 1996. It was my first 1911. I can't count how many rounds I have fired through that pistol. I shot 230gr ball ammo, reloads, you name it. Never once have I had any malfunction with it. I can't say that about my brand new Kimber I just bought. I think it is like anything else, some people will have great experiences, others will not. Just like my Kimber. It malfunctions every three magazines (Kimber, Wilson Combat, adn Chip McCormick). I know people that have the same Kimber and have no issues. If you can get a good deal on it, go for it. I think I paid $350 for mine brand new back in '96.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:02:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By WA9BYR:
I carried a TRUE retro 1911 in Viet Nam. It had been rebuilt countless times since WWII. My Springfield Arms is a pretty close copy.

Avoid the Colts. My 900 dollar NIB 1918 retro Colt was recalled immediately and returned by Colt with a scratched up slide.

That's unusual as almost all are reporting satisfaction with the condition of returned pistols in this recall. My Combat Elite came back in four days , none the worse for the trip. As unfortunate as this was ( I do commiserate with you.), it is not a reason to avoid all Colts based on my extensive personal experience.
Top Top