Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:09:35 PM EDT
Please see my follow-up post on what happened after I called up Aro-Tek regarding this.  They provided me with customer service that was truly above and beyond.

Check this out, this is what's left of my AroTek extended slide release after my trip to the range today.

I just put it on my Glock 17 a few weeks ago.  Since then, its seen maybe 150 rounds fired through the gun (including today).  It looks like some kind of metal fatigue or stress got to the part and then the slide just sheared it in half when my mag went empty.

Is this typical of AroTek products?  Because if it is, then I'm deeply disappointed in them.

Anyhow, I'm planning of giving them a call tomorrow to see what can be done about this.   Too bad, as up until this point, the slide release was working like a dream and I was already making plans on getting them for all of my Glocks.

Any thoughts on this or Aro-Tek in general would be appreciated.

-Frank
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say it's very rare. I have several of there ext. slide stops(1 for 14+yrs) and I have never seen one do that. I'm sure they will be glad to replace it for you.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I never heard of problems with Aerotek stuff, but I am just not willing to pay the two to three times that they charge for their parts.

The only reason I see that happening is if someone tried bending the lever for some reason.  The way that lever is made, you can't really bend it or it will just snap.  The metal is too brittle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to highjack, but...

Why are you needing an extended slide stop?  Competition?

For Defensive purposes, most schools train you NOT to use the slide stop.  (other than for manual slide lockback)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not to highjack, but...

For Defensive purposes, most schools train you NOT to use the slide stop.  (other than for manual slide lockback)

Maybe you should train with some better schools.  

I have attended some of the best, and they recommend using the slide stop/release.

Just for the record: I have Glock factory extended slide releases in all my Glocks. I would never install a non Glock factory part.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not to highjack, but...

Maybe you should train with some better schools.  

I have attended some of the best, and they recommend using the slide stop/release.

Just for the record: I have Glock factory extended slide releases in all my Glocks. I would never install a non Glock factory part.

That's what I was thinking.  A good school would show you the options available and let you decide which is more comfortable or proper for you.  As long as you train like you fight, there shouldn't be a problem with using whichever method you choose.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As long as you train like you fight, there shouldn't be a problem with using whichever method you choose.  

Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's what I was thinking.  A good school would show you the options available and let you decide which is more comfortable or proper for you.  As long as you train like you fight, there shouldn't be a problem with using whichever method you choose.  

There was a very good thread about this over on 10-8 a few weeks ago and basically it seemed split. All the professional instructors stated that it really didn’t matter one way or the other and admitted there were pros and cons for each method. Most did use the slide release but taught both methods depending on the trainee/class. Most of the 1911 guys used it while most of the Glock guys used the over the top of the slide manual method.

An interesting trend was even the professional instructors that used the slide release on the Glocks did not recommend the extended slide release and more than one stated they remove them immediately if they were installed.

It boiled down to training, training, and training with the method you choose.

I normally use the over the top manual method but I always practice a little with the slide release just in case my support hand is ever injured.

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Claiming back my thread...

All I can say is that Aro-Tek has the most incredible customer service you will ever hear of.

I called them up Monday morning and explained what had happened.  (see original post)

After hearing me explain my situation; the first thing they said to me was, "What is your address?  We'll drop a replacement into the mail for you today."

Then I decided to push my luck.  I explained that I had a match this weekend and really wanted the part right away and could I come by to pick it up after I got off work.  (I live just a few miles from their facility.)  The answer was "Yes." and that they would even wait for me to show up.

How's that for customer service?

Then I got lost trying to find my way there.  Called them up and explained that I was lost and would take another 30 minutes to find my way there.  I offered to come back another day so that they could go home at a decent hour.  They offered to wait until I find could my way there in the dark and the rain.  In all, they waited over an hour for me to get there just so that they could give me a free replacement part.  Plus, I even got an extra slide release spring in the deal.

You just can't beat that for customer service above and beyond the call.  Kudos to Morris and the folks at Aro-Tek

BTW: I also got a chance to chat with Morris, the top guy there for about 10-15 minutes last night.  Aro-Tek is a very impressive operation.  They make some very impressive products that few will ever know about.  Plus, they've got some really interesting stuff on the drawing boards.

==========

* What happened in my case is very rare.  A few early lots had a problem with the fabrication process that few that caused cracks at that stress point in the alloy.  99.99% were caught in QC, but a few slipped through the cracks.  (We're talking four in the last 15 years.)

* If you get one, get one of the ones from the newest batches.  (They include the spring.)  They're made from a new set of tooling and have tighter tolerances and fit closer to the frame.  Super-slick.

* I've got short fingers.  The extended stop makes it easier to do a manual lockback to show clear in competition.

* My personal impression is that the extended stop does make it wwwaaayyyy too easy to release the slide manually.  Easy bordering on accident prone.

* If folks are against extended slide release, they must be ready to burn the enlarged magazine release at the stake.

* Did I mention that Aro-Tek has awesome customer service?

-Frank
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
There's more of a chance the strong hand will be injured-so practice weak hand as well. Another thing to practice is raking the slide on the holster, belt, etc to rack the slide.

I prefer the stock slide stop(less crap sticking out from the gun), did I say slide stop? I use the slide rack, simple, more of a gross motor skill. I've seen alot of people fumble with the extended slide stop, with either hand manipulating it. That thing is only there for the American market.

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top