Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2008 4:22:42 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have been looking around real hard at buying a new pistol. My only two handguns are a P226 and a P220ST. I am trying to like some of the polymer pistols like an XD or something in the 1911 line up but I keep telling myself that if I buy one I would just rather shoot one of my sigs...

I think I may have made the mistake of making my first two pistols Sigs and now I will never buy anything else. The only thing that even comes close to a Sig for me is a 1911, but then I really like my 220. I thought about HK's but they are friggin huge and I just cant bring myself to get a plastic gun, doesnt feel right.

I think I have officially diagnosed myself as a Sig Snob. Step 1 of recovery is over. Step 2... go buy more sigs. How do you guys feel? Do other brand measure up or does it just not feel right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean someone else besides SIG makes pistols?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a wannabe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#3]
For Autos I Like:
                     Glocks
                     Sigs
                     HKs
                     In that order!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have more SIGs than any other type of handgun, but I wouldn't say I'm a snob. My SIG to total ratio is 4/14 so there are a few other brands in the stable that I enjoy as well. I would say that I want to shoot a SIG more often than others, but I go through phases.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The older ones are nice guns but I never really cared for them. Don't like the high bore axis or the DA trigger mechanism. The newer ones have some serious QC issues.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Do not own one and have not fired one.

Now if the question was 1911 snob...........
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Try an HK P30.
even if you have no intention to buy it, at least hold one before you make any assumptions

(I don't even own one...just a USP Tac and a P7 as HK goes. Will be my next handgun though...absolute most comfortable pistol I've ever held in my life)
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
sure
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a P228 for years.  Great gun. Shoots great, never a malfunction. That said, there's plenty of other makes and models to choose from. I used to carry a Glock 27 and now I carry a Kahr PM9, both as reliable and accurate as the Sig.
Limiting yourself to one maker is like limiting yourself to brunettes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't care for them at all. Fine guns but kinda unclean lines and not a natural pointing gun for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two Sigs and hate both of them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had two and eventually got rid of both of them.  They both were reliable and shot well, but the finish was incredibly prone to rusting and I just never really got the hang of mastering the DA/SA trigger.  As often as not in a pressure situation, I'd fire the second shot without meaning to.  Not a big deal to some, but I found it very disconcerting.  This was back in the days when DA/SA was all they offered.  Someone suggested I try a Glock and I've never looked back.  I mastered the Glock trigger very fast and the finish is the most durable I've found on a stock pistol.  But I won't dis Sigs, they're fine guns, they just weren't for me.  I was very tempted to buy one of the surplus P6's, but the expensive magazines and the DA/SA trigger made me rethink it.  I dislike the DA/SA trigger so much, that I've converted several small DA/SA pocket guns to DAO.

But in some ways, I still miss that old P220.  It was a damn good shooter and I carried it for many years.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I owned a P220ST. The slide was soft and the hammer peened the firing pin channel. I sent it back and they installed another soft slide. So I sold it.

Before that, I owned an early P229. Nice gun, but I hate compacts. Traded it.

I owned a few West German sheet-metal P226's. Gave one to my brother. Sold the others to get a P226 Sport Stock. Shot the best group of my life with it: .25" at 15 yards. That gun was basically perfect. West german P226's are significantly better than the later variants.

But it wasn't a P210. So I sold it and used the proceeds to buy a P210. I should have just bought a P210 in the first place.

Now I have a jewel of a gun. I am a total Sig snob.

Lemme tell you about the P210:

50 years ago, Switzerland decided to make a handgun. 50 years ago, people were into steel. They were into testing and retesting. They would build stuff out of steel to last several lifetimes. Even here in the US, people built guns like they were building them for their great grandchildren. Just look at the M14. They designed the thing to last for a quarter million rounds and actually tested the gun up to that milestone.

So the Swiss made the P210, out of the best steel available, using the best production methods. They did not cut any corners. The best of everything went into the gun. Over time, the P210 evolved. From the 50's to the 70's, the gun improved. The trigger system was redesigned. The heat treatment was improved. From the 80's onward, the quality deteriorated. Sig went to CNC and casting. What started out as an all forged gun with 100% parts interchangability that could shoot 2" groups at 50 yards, turned into a "modern" compromise where the major components were machined form billet, minor components were cast, and 100% parts interchangability disappeared. People experienced QC issues like sights falling out of their dovetails, frames cracking due to brittleness, etc. All the while the price kept climbing until the gun was too expensive to produce.

Now some company bought the rights and will resume production in 2009. Let's hope the new P210 costs closer to $2K than $5K and returns to the craftsmanship the gun is famous for. If S&W Performance Center can knock out the 952 for $1750, there's no reason we can't get a P210 for a reasonable price. It is a far simpler design with half the parts.

I'm not sorry about the long post.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Love Sigs got a 229 as my first hand gun in 93. Now I have the 220 SAO, 226 old german, 225, p6 same thing, p2009 and the 556.
The ex took the mosquito but I really didn't mind since that was the only sig that I had probs. with. Failure to feeds were killing me...
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#17]
When I was in the market for a .45 ACP the first pistol I thought of was a Glock 30.  But I already had a couple Glock pistols.  Then my online vendor recommended a Sig Sauer P220R that was a display model but still in almost new condition (small nick on trigger guard).  I was offered a good deal on the P220R so I went for it.  A few months later I got a fantactic deal on a NIB P220 Carry two tone.  Both Sig Sauer pistols have performed flawlessly.  I'd shoot them more if .45 ACP ammo was a bit cheaper.  Nowadays, my Ruger Mark III Hunter has more range time than all my other firearms as .22lr is cheap and loads of fun.  But the Sig Sauer pistols are still some of my farvorite pistols to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Sig 239, my husband has an XD(M) - both 9mm. These are the only two handgun models  I have used (have used a couple different 239's), and I like the Sig much better. The XD(M)'s grip saftey screws me up and although the muzzle flip is less than what I get with my Sig, there is a nasty kickback into the web between my thumb and forefinger that hurts!

Not a Sig snob yet, but could become one

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#19]
The quality of Sig may have gone down in the past few years. There are other pistols I like better. I've owned 5 still have one (P6). Although I wouldn't mind to get a P210 or 226X to play with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Sig 239, my husband has an XD(M) - both 9mm. These are the only two handgun models  I have used (have used a couple different 239's), and I like the Sig much better. The XD(M)'s grip saftey screws me up and although the muzzle flip is less than what I get with my Sig, there is a nasty kickback into the web between my thumb and forefinger that hurts!

Not a Sig snob yet, but could become one

You're on your way!

Welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to be a full blown sig snob.  I've had P220's, a P229, a SP2022, and I still have my P228.  I've kept the P228 because I can hit anything with it, and its NEVER had a malfunction.

I've also had a G19 (stolen), and a G21SF, which I sold.  Glocks are nice, but my favorite thing about them was the cheaper mags, and thats gone now.

I'm going over to CZ for my CCW and uspsa guns.  The only gun I've ever held that felt better than my P228 is a P-01, and the SP01 is too cool not to have.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#23]
My only Sig is a W. German P220. It runs great and it's accurate, but I haven't warmed up to it in the 4.5 years I've had it. I'm selling it to my brother when he returns home from this deployment.

Maybe I should've gotten a P226 in 9mm, but I liked the feel of the 220 so much better. If I grab a .45, it will be one of my 1911s. The Sig recoils more than a 1911. And no, I'm not a 1911 snob either. I have a G22 and a M92 that I love.

-Dan
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#24]

I had a P226 for a while, but sold it. They make some of the worst controls around for a lefty in my opinion and I'm a lefty. It was a good shooting pistol and I've shot some of their other models also, but won't ever buy another.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My only Sig is a W. German P220. It runs great and it's accurate, but I haven't warmed up to it in the 4.5 years I've had it. I'm selling it to my brother when he returns home from this deployment.

Maybe I should've gotten a P226 in 9mm, but I liked the feel of the 220 so much better. If I grab a .45, it will be one of my 1911s. The Sig recoils more than a 1911. And no, I'm not a 1911 snob either. I have a G22 and a M92 that I love.

-Dan

Please don't apologise for being a 1911 snob.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1 i  fucking hate my sigs... prolly gonna be on the
EE soon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Love mine. P239 in 9mm for my everyday carry, and I've got a P229 .40 and a P229R 9mm. Pretty soon, a P226 will by joining the family. I shoot sigs the best of anything, and I feel supremely confident with mine.

The only sig I don't really like is the P220. I just don't like the recoil impulse. Maybe that's because i'm not really a .45 guy; who knows.

Yes, I am a sig snob.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I started out as a Glock guy. Good, accurate and reliable. I still have my first Glock 19.

I thought Glocks were the shit, and got a full-size Glock 22 in .40 S&W. It consistently had failure to feed problems and was not an accurate gun. I traded it off on a great HK P2000 with the LEM trigger. It is a great CCW weapon and is dead reliable.

I then got my first SIG, a P232 in .380 auto. It was heavy, had the Euro mag release at the base of the grip and was just not a very accurate pistol to shoot. I traded my P232 for a SIG P226R Navy. After firing one mag, I realized why people love SIGs.

I now have several P226s, P228s, and a P220. SIGs can be customized with a short reset trigger, reduced mainspring, interchangeable grips and the like. My SIGs are all dead accurate, extremely reliable and fit my hands great. A P226 in 9mm is one of the best shooting handguns money can buy in my opinion. Mec-Gar makes 18-round mags. that will fit in the magwell of a P226, giving you a serious number of rounds if you need them. One of the things I like most about a SIG is the trigger lever itself. They have a smooth face, and you can shoot a SIG all day and not get a blister. I hate the Glock trigger safety. SIGs also can be decocked if you like, and you have to lock the slide open to field strip a SIG, a safety feature to prevent ADs and NDs.

SIGs are heavier than a comparable Glock, HK, S&W and similar polymer-framed guns, and that is fine with me. Over time, the finish on a SIG will wear, but that just shows its personality a bit. If I had to go to war tomorrow, my trusty P226 would be strapped to my leg to make sure I made it home safely.

To each is own. My name is Tom, and yes I am a SIG snob. Sing it loud, sing it proud.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I've owned several SIGs, and still own a P225 (bought it long before the current P6 shipment) and a P229.

I'm not quite sure why I still have them.  All I can come up with is that everyone should have at least one SIG in their collection.  I don't remember the last time I fired them... I know it's been a couple years, minimum.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I have three SIGs and two 1911s.

Haven't found anything I like better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a SIG Neuhausen snob
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I own 11 of em, but I like other pistols also.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE soon.

What is it that those of you who hate them hate about them? Not flaming or starting anything––there was a time period where I strongly disliked them myself. It is certainly a 'to each his own' situation. I'm just curious what aspects have you bothered about them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE soon.

What is it that those of you who hate them hate about them? Not flaming or starting anything––there was a time period where I strongly disliked them myself. It is certainly a 'to each his own' situation. I'm just curious what aspects have you bothered about them.

im more of 1911 guy. sigs feel ok in the hands.  im mean there great pistol, design, accurate ect... i dont like the snappyness of the recoil it puts out comapred to other .45s. i have a 220R and 245.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't really care for them. I'm sure they are great guns, but the ergonomics never worked well for me (especially the slide stop position). I do really like the DAK trigger, though.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm a SIG Neuhausen snob

Early, middle, or late models?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a SIG Neuhausen snob

Early, middle, or late models?

Beggers can't be choosers.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE soon.

Don't get me wrong.  I know they work for some people but mine have been no good.  My 226 and Mosquito have been the least reliable handguns I have ever owned and I have owned my share.  Lets start with the 226.  It was refinished from Sig.  The finish was no better than if it was covered in old shoe polish.  It rubbed off and rusted quickly.  It would rust in the safe after I oiled it.  Next it would need to be wet with oil to run right.  If I lubed it well before leaving for the range, I would only get so many rounds down range before it dried out and started having FTF.  After asking around I got that that was not considered a problem.  The Mosquito is no better.  It can barely make it through a mag with out a FTF or FTE.  In a world where my Glocks, Hks, Rugers, Colts, Walthers, Kimbers, Kahrs, Berettas, SA and so on have workes so well.  With so many better options out there, why would I buy/recommend one?  Maybe I got the only bad two, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE soon.

Don't get me wrong.  I know they work for some people but mine have been no good.  My 226 and Mosquito have been the least reliable handguns I have ever owned and I have owned my share.  Lets start with the 226.  It was refinished from Sig.  The finish was no better than if it was covered in old shoe polish.  It rubbed off and rusted quickly.  It would rust in the safe after I oiled it.  Next it would need to be wet with oil to run right.  If I lubed it well before leaving for the range, I would only get so many rounds down range before it dried out and started having FTF.  After asking around I got that that was not considered a problem.  The Mosquito is no better.  It can barely make it through a mag with out a FTF or FTE.  In a world where my Glocks, Hks, Rugers, Colts, Walthers, Kimbers, Kahrs, Berettas, SA and so on have workes so well.  With so many better options out there, why would I buy/recommend one?  Maybe I got the only bad two, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your response. The other brands you mentioned are terrific. I wish your experiences with SIG had been better. I definitly believe that SIGs fit in with that group.

I bet a good used but unfired P228 (so it's new to you) could push you back in the SIG direction a bit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I have several SIGs and they are fine. My issue P226 .357 is nice but if I had a choice I would prefer something else. My current favorite is a Glock 35 w/.357 barrel though my Glock 21SF has really been growing on me. I really want to like 1911s but I have had poor experiences with them (I've had 7 and still have 3). The XD and M&P have been getting high marks but I haven't really tried them yet. HKs are fine but..well, whatever. I liked the Walther P99 I had, just not the .40 cal. Browning HP, good stuff but the hammer bite. Kahr: = good.

Moral: Different strokes for different folks. Go with what you like and what works for you. There are lots of good choices.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Had one and sold it. It was a 2340 and I didn't like it as much as my Glock. If I would buy another it would be an Elite model or an X-5. I think they are a little overrated.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't like 'em. I'm a Hi Power/1911 guy, in that order. If a P210 found its way into my grubby little mitts, I'd be all over it. You can keep the others.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#44]
My 1st ever .45 was a P220 full size. Oh, how I love that pistol.

Then I bought an Ed Brown, and then another....

Funny, I don't shoot the 220 much these days.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Sig's are FUGLY
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#46]
poll is one sided...
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sig's are FUGLY

So what's good looking to you?

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to be "Sig snob", but sadly what Sig Sauer has been pumping out lately, in my opinion, is junk.  I recently bought a P220 Stainless Target SA, and the back sight fell off without even being fired!  The finish was terrible, and I can not believe it passed QC.  I had it fixed and sold it without firing a round through it.  I can not say the same for the German made stuff though.  Have a P232 and a P220-German made and they are top notch.  I am not sure what the difference is though it is there.  All the US made stuff I have picked up or fired at the range just has a different feel to it and I no longer will buy a Sig, unless its German made.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#49]
why is it everytime i come across this thread in active topics i think it says "Are you a Sig Snoob?"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top