Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 3:23:14 PM EDT
I’ve settled on getting a Kimber Custom Target II for my first 1911 style handgun, but I’m having trouble finding one.  I found a great deal on a Custom II though.  The big difference is the Target model comes with adjustable sights.  So, my question is are the adjustable sights really going to make that much difference?  

I plan on using the gun for IDPA/IPSC type stuff.  

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really. You can certainly drift the rear sight for windage. IIRC, the front sight on a Kimber is also dovetailed so you can swap in a taller or shorter front post if necessary.

About the only time you'll have elevation problems is if you go from 230gr to 185gr or vice versa.

Some brands of ammo may also be a bit off on point-of-aim due to speed. PMC seems to be a bit faster than the other generic/cheap brands.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Bob.  That helps.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to be competing with it, it makes sense to get a good adjustable sight like a Bo-mar.  They generally present a better sight picture than something like a Novak, and are easier to adjust.  You may not have to touch it very often but since you're not really going to be carrying it for defense, there's not much of a downside to having an adjustable sight.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My stock Kimber shot 3-5inch groups and those look more like patterns offhand and so the adjustable sights weren't a big deal (drift the rear sight)

Then I accurized it and it shot 2.5inch groups offhand and that was when I realized I needed adjustable sights (it was shooting 7inches low and centered). So I bought a MMC rear sight.

If the pistol is accurized I would say yes the adjustable sights are neccassary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top