Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2004 12:14:09 PM EDT
I've been reading ALOT of feedback here on ARFCOM about "New" Springfields
being JUNK!

I have shot about 5000 rounds thru my Defender (Ca. 1988) with
NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

I want to buy another one (M1911) But don't want to Screw up!

What about Kimber???

Link Posted: 7/14/2004 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a S.A. 1911 that is NOT junk. Model PX9109L - Parkerized with night sights.

Shoots great, feeds FMJ and JHP just fine, and has been rock solid for IDPA and 3 gun matches.

The only change I made was Houge grips, the rest of the pistol is stock.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimber uses cast parts, SA doesn't AFAIK. I'd still buy a SA over a Kimber as Kimber adds junk I neither need nor want to pay for.

SA two-piece barrels still suck though.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I like my M1 from them.  But I did not care for the finish on my Xd40
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not owned a Springfield myself yet.  What I can say is that when I spoke to Mr. Larry Vickers about my future full house custom build he recomended Springfield as a great "Base Gun" for the custom work. When a gunsmith and shooter like Mr.Vickers recomends SA that has to be a good thing .  I've read that for 2005 the Brazilian stamp is also going to be removed from their slides. The final machine work is going to done in the U.S., so the stamp can go bye-bye.
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I like both my SA 1911 and M1A, maybe I got lucky
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
It's the newer M1A's that have issues, I've had my M1A since 1983 and couldn't be happier with it. I recently bought a loaded 1911A1 and am pleased with it also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have three SA 1911's and one XD, no problems or complaints at all...
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an XD-9 Tactical ... great pistol... but the finish is a bit weak... so Im just going to have it done by Robar in NP3.

I have a Glock done in NP3, and LOVE it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 But I did not care for the finish on my Xd40

Can you elaborate on the XD40 issue ??

(I'm planning on buying one)

Link Posted: 7/25/2004 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've owned a few and never had problems.

Some people just love bashing SA, maybe it's jealousy because a $ 400 budget 1911 can outperform/shoot their
$ 1000 + custom factory Katana Ninja Super 1911
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#12]
go to hs2000.com the plethora of information there is incredible about the XD.  i have the .40 with Don's guide rod, 24# recoil spring, skateboard tape grips, triji nite sites, and a beautiful custom tiger stripe slide job done by Mac's in Tucson AZ for $60.   the finish on them is terrible, but Macs will do the slide, barrel and 2 magazines for that price unless it has changed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread with pics about a year ago, that showed a Springfield 1911 which had undergone a slide fracture...

Basically, what everyone was afraid would happen to the Beretta happened to a 1911, and a SA at that...

Combined with their inability to make a M1A for squat, I'd say SA isn't the best of companies -> their best products are ones they assemble from someone else's parts (GI M14 re-builds), or import (XD -> HS2000, Imbel (of FN licensee/FAL fame) 1911s)
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 But I did not care for the finish on my Xd40

Can you elaborate on the XD40 issue ??

(I'm planning on buying one)

Edit: Finish needs oil in order to work.  I never had a problem, because I always wiped down the slide before I put the gun back together.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#15]
HA HA HA ... They Are  Junk! Do Not Buy One!

More for me!
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy the SA M1911!   worst case, buy a Wilson's extractor and #47D mags and you've addressed all of the possible shortcomings for less than $50.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got the spring, follower, and plate kit for these.

Paid $70.00 delivered. I took about one hour  to do 'em all
(while watching TV)

THANKS TO ALL

BTW the kits at BUSHMASTER....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I finally got the spring, follower, and plate kit for these.

Paid $70.00 delivered. I took about one hour  to do 'em all
(while watching TV)

THANKS TO ALL

BTW the kits at BUSHMASTER....

OOPS!!! WRONG THREAD  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Thought I'd quote Larry Vickers from a discussion. And I tend to agree with most of his statements here.

Base pistols - my 2 cents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my latest thoughts on base guns - feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.
Springfield; I've built more guns on Springfield Mil Spec guns than anything else. Why? They are readily available, forged, and very cost effective for a shooting/using gun. You can build a very functional pistol on a Springfield - here's the down side; the Brazil stamp - some people can't stand it and who can fault them?
Slide markings - the big, gaudy slide markings take some real getting used to; I don't know anyone who actually likes them - just tolerates them. If your doing anything other than a tactical gun - such as two tone - the tooling marks can give you headaches. A suitable base gun for many applications but not all.Note; the newer guns will no longer have Brazil on them because they are finish machined in the U.S..
Colt; Either build on an old Colt or none at all. The 1991 has many/most of the Springfield negatives with damn few positives - they do tend to be better finished but the slide markings are worse than SA's . If Colt was smart they would go back to making an exact repro of the pre-series 70 blued Gov't Model - that gun would become the preferred gun to build on. The 80 series comments than Dick Heinie made elsewhere are right on. Colt is brain dead - somebody put them to sleep.
Kimber - you can build a great gun on one but they lock you into certain modifications (i.e. sights), the grasping grooves look sorry - but are functional - and that dot matrix serial number system they and almost everyone else is using is sickening.
Wilson Slides and frames - I prefer to build on these for cosmetic reasons; no dot matrix crap and more appealing grasping grooves. They do lock you into certain mods (i.e. beavertail ) that being said you can build a great gun on one.
Caspian; Cosmetically Caspian frames leave something to be desired - I don't like the high grip cut for one - but you can build a very functional gun on one. They are tough as nails. The slides are fine except for the gaudy Caspian logos. They make great tactical guns - but I'd pass on one for a presentation piece.
Les Baer; OVERRATED- I've built a few guns on these and although the guns turned out fine there where several things that had to be attended to that should not have. I don't like the high grip cut either.
Rock River - I've heard good things about them although I haven't built a gun on there stuff yet. Once again I don't like the high grip cut.
Unless you really want to it's not cost effective to build on a slide/frame set because you pay extra for all the pins, screws, and plungers that come with a complete gun. If you start out with something like a Les Baer set, which is expensive, and add all that to it your talking about a rude amount of money to get started.
When It's all said and done you still can't beat an old Colt (pre series 70 or big letter series 70 ) for a classy base gun. For a heirloom gun, that's the way to go. [/quote

Thread is here:

]www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c61881d9c8a929c0ed198d30e08b2e15&t=2295[.url]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I own a S.A. 1911 that is NOT junk. Model PX9109L - Parkerized with night sights.

Shoots great, feeds FMJ and JHP just fine, and has been rock solid for IDPA and 3 gun matches.

The only change I made was Houge grips, the rest of the pistol is stock.

Av.

i have the same model and can't hit s#$t  with it.  it might be me but i've already thought about selling it and i've only had it for a few months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a M1A NM I bought about 8 months ago, and it shoots GREAT.

BAsed on how I like it, I just bought a 1911A1 TRP from them, and couldn't ask for a finer weapon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.  They are all total junk.

As a public service you should buy all of them that you come across and send them to me immediately for disposal.  Especially any Custom Shop Models you might encounter.  These should be taken out of circulation as soon as possible.  

I'm willing to do my part with this.  I'll even help out be paying the shipping.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#24]
 If you depend on a 1911 for defense Springfield is on the same list as almost ALL other 1911 makers you shouldn't buy from UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO WORK ON A 1911.  The good parts of a Springie come from Brazil, that's the frame and the slide....the rest of the components they use are just plain junk.  The fitting on a Springie can range from very good to mediocre but it isn't too hard to whip one into shape.  The key is to gut the gun and fit it ( not drop in crap but actual fitted parts ) with high quality forged or barstock components.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top