Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 12:18:14 PM EDT
I just recently bought a SA Milspec that has had some custom work done to it. It still has the arched mainspring housing. I noticed that a lot of people put a straight one on and that the "loaded" 1911's have the straight housings. My question is..What is the difference other than looks? Is the straight better or is it an appearance thing? I like the looks of the Wilson speedchute/mainspring housing but want to know if it will change the grip too much. This is my first 1911. My regular shooter was a SA XD9. (which has a curve to it!)
Thanks in advance for any facts or opinions.
Kris
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It makes the grip "perfect" (flat housing).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Visit a range that rents and try out a flat one.

My last pistol came with a flat one, and I changed it - I have long fingers and it just doesn't feel 'right' with a flat ms housing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know of any local range that rents but I'll check around. My fingers aren't real long so I don't know how that would affect my grip. Thanks for the input so far.
Kris
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It is purely a grip style/comfort type thing.
Some of us like the arch, some the flat.
They are not painfully expensive, so changing from one to the other on a trial basis is not bad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They point better for me with flat, and I like the feel of them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe that the story goes as follows...

The 1911 started life with a straight housing. Reports from the military was that the gun was hitting low (this is when guns were shot with one hand as opposed to the two handed hold). When the 1911 was upgraded (for a lack of a better word) to what we know today as the 1911-A1, the arched housing was added to bring the muzzle up a little more, thus correcting (?) the problem.

Anymore I think it comes down to personal choice. I prefer the straight vs. the arched.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Flat...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Surely get a flat one, then send that piece of  junk arched one over to meSeriously though, Its personal preference.  To me its seems like the arched fits my big hands better, but for you who's to say until you try the both.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
...........it`s all about the shape of your hand...............
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the wedge!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everybody! I'll have to put a few more rounds through her to see how it goes. May pick up a flat one to try. If it doesn't work, I'm sure I can find a home for it!
Thanks Again
Kris
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have small hands and found that a arched MSH tended to make the gun sit higher in my hand and did not allow me to get a good grip.

I change out all of the arched ones for flat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
i like the Pachmayr rubberized flat one for reducing recoil a tad
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have stubby fingers. I like the flat  mainspring better. Its easy to change them out and not too much money to find out if you like it or not.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I am an old revolver shooter and find the arched feels more like the curved revolver grip and feels better to me. I have small hands and find the gun tends to roll in my grip  (side to side) with a flat MSH. One BIG problem I have with all 1911's out there is the insistence on putting a long trigger on them. A large handed shooter can use a short trigger, but the reverse is not true.  Look  at the army marksmanship pistol shooting guide- the only part of the gun your trigger finger should touch is the trigger- if it's riding on the grip it's wrong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top