Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2003 9:10:29 AM EDT
If there is anyone out there with experience with the S&W 1911 could you tell me what you think of the gun. I read a very favorable review by the GunBlast guys on it. It looks like a good deal for the $$. I like the idea of an external extractor, not pure 1911 I know, but if it's an improvement I like it.
I want to get a 1911 but am making myself nuts trying to decide which one to get. Thanks in advance for any info offered.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally haven't handled one.

But the word 'recall' wouldn't make me feel real secure for a purchase. That and dash of admiring S&Ws wheels over semis(given the competition options) adds to my bias.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and I like it a lot. Works well, shoots to point of aim, is nicely fitted and very reliable.

I do not have a lot of perspective on 1911s, as this is the first one that I have owned. I have numerous other semi-automatic pistols, and have been shooting for over 30 years, so am not totally without knowledge. The thing I would offer is that once you have one 1911, you will want another, and there are so many variations out there, that the one you buy this time will very likely not be your last 1911, so don't drive yourself crazy over the decision. The Smith is a very nice gun, and you will be pleased with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Decent gun, overpriced though, IMO. The aforementioned recall is a bit of a concern.

I'd get a Springfield if it were me. Or if you want to spend a grand, get a Wilson.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The big plus for the S&W 1911 is the quality of workmanship; I thnk they're really nice.  I have 945's, otherwise I'd get one (the magazines are ever so slightly different).

As far as the "problem", yes it was a manufacturing engineering flub.  The grip angle of a 945 is about 2 or 3 degrees different from a 1911.  When Smith decided to make a 1911 (the 945's already were a production item) they used the same grip safety link.  The different grip angle made the required length of the link different.  Hence some problems.  There's nothing inherently problematic from a safety standpoint.  The scary "recall" word, though accurate conjures up images of kabooms.  Not the case.  But, a problem nevertheless.  As with anything, your mileage may vary; never rely on any pistol for anything but a paperweight until at least 200, and preferably 500 rounds are through it successfully.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had little experience with the S&W 1911.  I have experience with Colt 1991 and XSE Government models as well as the Kimber TLE.  The S&W is as good as the rest.  it is a little pricy, but then again the better pistols expecially 1911's are.  It has been my experience that S&W is a good company to deal with if, God forbin, you have to send it in for repair. The only problem that I have with the pistol is the laser engraving on the slide.  What is important is that it functions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top