Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
I am looking at this conversion and the ballistics are astounding. Significantly beyond 44 mag power and velocity.

185's at 1500fps
200's at 1400+fps
230's at 1350fps  with energy of 900+ft.lbs
260's at 1100+fps

I'm thinking about this conversion now. I have wnated to hunt with a semi handgun for a while and typically run in to whitetails at as close as 15 yds while stalking.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a great human hunting round as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was reading up on it, I had the image of Dirty Harry in my mind, talking about th 44 mag being powerful enough to kill an engine and to take a man's head clean off.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Clark custom on my Kimber Custom II.

When I initially installed the new barrel, I was having ALOT of failures to feed.  The upper portion of the chamber was very rough.  After polishing with the Dremel, it now feeds properly.

The hardest part of the assembly of the new barrel was due to the 24 pound recoil spring.  Wear safety glasses when messing with this thing. I sent the guide rod flying a couple of times before getting it put together correctly.

As far as shooting goes, the Clark conversion has a compensator that really tames recoil.  I really don't notice much more recoil than shooting some of the hotter 45ACP rounds.  Accuracy has been excellent.  I'm using the Kimber Mepro night sights, and point of impact is still dead on, however I have only shot out to the 50 ft mark since I have been shooting indoors.  In August, I'm going to an outdoor range that will give me a better idea of my abilities at 35 and 50 yds.

I don't reload, so ammo is fairly expensive and limited.  Luckily GA Arms come to all the local gun shows and they make three different loads for the 460 Rowland.  Muzzle flash is not as bad as I had expected but it is loud.  It definitely draws attention at the indoor range.  When shooting indoors I wear both ear plugs and muffs just so that it is not as distracting.

Last year, I decided that I wanted to hunt whitetail deer with a hand gun and bought an S&W Light weight hunter in 44Mag.  I have really no experience shooting revolvers and my accuracy just plain sucked.  Letting friends shoot the gun confirmed that it was me and not the gun.  So I decided to buy the Clark custom kit from Brownells and have been very happy after the initial polishing of the chamber.  Hopefully, I'll get a shot at a deer this fall.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have the Clark custom on my Kimber Custom II.

When I initially installed the new barrel, I was having ALOT of failures to feed.  The upper portion of the chamber was very rough.  After polishing with the Dremel, it now feeds properly.

The hardest part of the assembly of the new barrel was due to the 24 pound recoil spring.  Wear safety glasses when messing with this thing. I sent the guide rod flying a couple of times before getting it put together correctly.

As far as shooting goes, the Clark conversion has a compensator that really tames recoil.  I really don't notice much more recoil than shooting some of the hotter 45ACP rounds.  Accuracy has been excellent.  I'm using the Kimber Mepro night sights, and point of impact is still dead on, however I have only shot out to the 50 ft mark since I have been shooting indoors.  In August, I'm going to an outdoor range that will give me a better idea of my abilities at 35 and 50 yds.

I don't reload, so ammo is fairly expensive and limited.  Luckily GA Arms come to all the local gun shows and they make three different loads for the 460 Rowland.  Muzzle flash is not as bad as I had expected but it is loud.  It definitely draws attention at the indoor range.  When shooting indoors I wear both ear plugs and muffs just so that it is not as distracting.

Last year, I decided that I wanted to hunt whitetail deer with a hand gun and bought an S&W Light weight hunter in 44Mag.  I have really no experience shooting revolvers and my accuracy just plain sucked.  Letting friends shoot the gun confirmed that it was me and not the gun.  So I decided to buy the Clark custom kit from Brownells and have been very happy after the initial polishing of the chamber.  Hopefully, I'll get a shot at a deer this fall.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info. I was looking for.

One quick question though, what's it like without the comp?

Justin
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Clark custom will only sell the conversion with the comp.  They claim you can damage your frame or yourself without it.  I believe there is another place that offers a conversion kit without the comp, but it has been a long time since I was doing 460 research, so I don't remember who.  I would imagine that recoil would be pretty rough without the weight and porting of the comp.

Go to 1911forum.com and search 460 rowland
Also www.clarkcustomguns.com

Jon
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Clark custom will only sell the conversion with the comp.  They claim you can damage your frame or yourself without it.  I believe there is another place that offers a conversion kit without the comp, but it has been a long time since I was doing 460 research, so I don't remember who.  I would imagine that recoil would be pretty rough without the weight and porting of the comp.

Go to 1911forum.com and search 460 rowland
Also www.clarkcustomguns.com

Jon

Thanks.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
To revisit the 460 Rowland round, Does anyone else shoot it?

Are three any cons to it aside from the extra slide length from the comp?

I've got a SA milspec that I purchased just for this conversion. A local shop has the kits in stock, so hopefully in the next month I'm up and running.

I have 230gr XTP's from my 45ACP loading, and the dies. I just need the kit and brass and a couple targets.

I did some ext. ballistics on my Sierra Infinity and the 230gr round has the same energy at 100 yards that a 45ACP does at the muzzle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
To revisit the 460 Rowland round, Does anyone else shoot it?

Are three any cons to it aside from the extra slide length from the comp?

I've got a SA milspec that I purchased just for this conversion. A local shop has the kits in stock, so hopefully in the next month I'm up and running.

I have 230gr XTP's from my 45ACP loading, and the dies. I just need the kit and brass and a couple targets.

I did some ext. ballistics on my Sierra Infinity and the 230gr round has the same energy at 100 yards that a 45ACP does at the muzzle.

Just a word to the wise: a concealed carry/defense gun should NOT have a compensator, they are strictly for competition shooting.  As rendered by subject matter experts much more knowledgeable than I.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I figure the Rowland round was not intended as a CCW round. A double tap with that kind of energy would make a real mess.

I hear people say the same thing, but I haven't read any elaboration on why not.

I just want the round for fun and machismo. It'll be fun next to the guy with the fancy Kimber at the range to let loose some thunder from my bone stock looking SA.

On that note, I was thinking today, I'd like to make this gun a real sleeper. You know, only internal, unnoticed upgrades- trigger job, upgraded barrel and comp, a little tuning, but using stock grips, no frame mods, no nice finish. Just a plain jane gun until you shoot it.  Just a thought at this point, at least until I find out how much my smith will charge for the trigger job and beavertail mod.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I figure the Rowland round was not intended as a CCW round. A double tap with that kind of energy would make a real mess.

I hear people say the same thing, but I haven't read any elaboration on why not.

I just want the round for fun and machismo. It'll be fun next to the guy with the fancy Kimber at the range to let loose some thunder from my bone stock looking SA.

On that note, I was thinking today, I'd like to make this gun a real sleeper. You know, only internal, unnoticed upgrades- trigger job, upgraded barrel and comp, a little tuning, but using stock grips, no frame mods, no nice finish. Just a plain jane gun until you shoot it.  Just a thought at this point, at least until I find out how much my smith will charge for the trigger job and beavertail mod.

Understood and agreed.

However, I don't think the compensator can be removed from the barrel, so your SA would look far from stock.  Even if it could, the recoil/muzzle climb and blast would be unmanageanble at best.

Let me know how it turns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top