Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
Has anyone had their 1911 sent to Novak to put night sights on? How was their work and how much did it cost you? Do they have to refinish your slide and is that extra cost?

Reason why I am asking is because I have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 that I want Novak Night sights put on and they quoted me $250 to mill and put their night sights on including the sights. I don't know if that covers refinishing or if they have to do that or not.
Also how long does the whole process take, I know they say a week or less but I was just wondering if they get it done sooner or not.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the week or less may be only for a straight swop.

I am sending my slide in soon - I have Novak night sights, and I will be swopping them for their new fiber optic sights. My sight is already milled, so it will be a straight swop.

I HATE my night sights - the front sight is the novak serrated tritium sight, and I just cannot see the front dot at all in the daytime. And, the rear sights have a thin, silver ring around them - not a nice white circle.

I wish I could get some meprolights, but they don't make them for a Novak cut.

If I were U, I'd contact some smith's (you can find some online) and see how much it would be to get the gun milled to fit meprolights.

As for the cost, call them back and ask them. They answer the phone very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I sent my slide to them to install the front sight. I don't recall the cost. But it came back dovetailed AND pinned in about 10 days. I opted for the rear sight that (tritium 'bar') that fit into the factory dovetail. Getting Novak dovetail put in requires milling out a big chunk of metal.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How was their work...?

I didn't use them for sights, but I have used them for other work.  They are damn good.  They work fast, and they usually finish within a day of what they quote you.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions and quick replys guys.  I wanted night  sights very much but are meprlights better than the Novak?? Is that going to be a cheaper option or not in the end?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately, they do not make Mepros for the Novak cut - If they did, I would prefer those...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard of people that have had it done, but as some stated, that is taking out a huge chunk of metal off your slide.  I would have suggested you buy the Loaded edition instead.  Mine came with the Novak Night sights and highly recommend them.   They are great in the daylight and just get better when the lights go out.

I would recommend going over to the 1911 forums.  I believe its 1911forums.com.  Thats all they deal in and you will definately get your answer there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top