Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2003 6:28:00 PM EDT
Has anyone had experience with them?  My father wants a defense pistol and he isn't comfortable with a glock, not having a manual safety.  The price of a kimber is a little high.  Thanks for the input.

Brad
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
springfield mil-spec or springfield xd series (9,40,357 sig)

Either one is less than $400 new if you look around.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a NRM Colt 1991.  Hell, I got two!

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
springfield mil-spec or springfield xd series (9,40,357 sig)

Either one is less than $400 new if you look around.

I'd like to see a link.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i've a daly fs model. once i put in ed brown firing pin, firing pin stop and extractor and wolf recoil and firing pin springs; 100% reliable and very accurate.
if your are interested in the .45 you might take a look at the ruger p97dc.  single/double action; very accurate; 100% reliable and about $350, nib.  i think ruger has a $30 rebate on them too.  makes them very attractive.  imo  mcole
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot two Daly's, Govt & Compact/Commander. The front sight flew off of both of them & they both jammed regularly.

I'd never buy one nor recommend one, IMO.

I do suggest a Springfield in the $425-475 range for their mil-spec model. Gun shows are a good place to find good prices.

Also avoid Llama's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the Officer's size for a little while.
Rear site fell off, but Loctite fixed that.
It fed fmj and jhp, but shot low.
Had more recoil than I liked.

I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on it, and filed down the front site.
Still shot low, then started having lite strikes.
Once the light strikes were cured, I traded it.
I second the idea of a P97.
Accurate, reliable, and a good value.

I tried both of the above, then bought a S&W 457.
About the same size as an Officer's model.
Less recoil than either of the other guns.
DA first shot, and it has a safety.
Way more accurate than I am.
Mine was $450 new.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Daly 1911s are a crap shoot.  I've heard all kinds of bad stories, but I've never handled or shot one.  I have also heard postitive stories.  

I would sum it up to say that Daly 1911s are just a crap shoot.  You might get a real winner, but you might get problems like mentioned above.  

Myself, I'd pony up a little more and get a Springfield Armory, or that Colt NRM.  Either are likely to be VERY reliable out of the box.  

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The newer ones, with the Novak style combat sights, are MUCH better than the older ones with GI style sights.  CNC makes a difference.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the 5" full size with the novak type sights...not a bad pistol for the $$$
probably will need to visit a pistolsmith for anything but 230FMJ Ball ammo and to clean up the trigger. Best in the price class and not a bad builder...you do get what you pay for.
Drop in a new Wolff recoil spring for improved feeding and reliability...about $ 8 or less.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is an interesting review:

Make: Charles Daly Model: 1911 Action: Single Action Caliber: .45 ACP
Rating:  1 Star
Review: I WENT TO THE RANGE WITH MY NEW 1911 CHARLES DALY,AND THE PEOPLE AT THE RANGE STARTED LAUGHING AT ME.THEY BEAT ME DOWN TO THE FLOOR,AND MAD ME RUN AROUND RANGE FIRING 22 RIFLE LONGS AT MY BACK.THEN THEY THREW MY GUN AT ME,AND SAID TAKE THAT JUNK AT OF HERE BOY
Posted by: imported
Date posted: 9/1/2003

Source
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The quality of the CD depends on when it was imported.

The first batch was only good for a paperweight. The worst pieces of shit you could ever find.

The second lot was better. You could find a decent gun and also find one with problems but unlike the first lot the problems were minor and could be fixed by anyone with 1911 experience.

The latest lot are mostly decent guns as far as reliability and will give you decent service IF you don't shoot a lot like some competition shooters do.

The quality of the materials are still not up to the level of a Springfield or most other known good pistols.

So if you are a 500 round a year shooter a recently imported CD will be all you need.

If you are a 500 round a week shooter you will not be happy with a CD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top