Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2012 7:02:10 PM EDT
I have one on the way so I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with them?
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You have chosen wisely. It will probably be worn, with the usual dings from service. But put new springs in it, go to the range, and smile.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't personally have any experience with them, but I've seen quite a few people on here that have bought Hi Powers from him with good results.
There's a thread on page 2 with some good reports and pics.

I really hope he still has some in 6 months, I'd like one too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've bought a few things from him off of Gunbroker and its been a super pleasant experience every time.  Items are as described, if not a bit better, shipping is reasonable and if things go askew he does a great job getting them fixed.  

I check his GB auctions once a week just to see if there's anything I'd be interested in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the one that is being shipped to me. Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/13/2012 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a couple of the C&R HiPowers from him a few months back. Both were in very good shape and I am quite happy with them.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
]'d clean it good, check the recoil spring for proper tension just as a precaution, and if it checks out ok I'd go to the range with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
]'d clean it good, check the recoil spring for proper tension just as a precaution, and if it checks out ok I'd go to the range with it.

Hell with that, I'd say to go so far as to replace all the springs in the gun, then go to the range.  Browning springs are too inexpensive not to replace, cheap insurance.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I picked up a couple of the C&R HiPowers from him a few months back. Both were in very good shape and I am quite happy with them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/ESeriesBHPb.jpg

Looks nice, one thing to add to the parts list is finding a spare internal extractor.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks nice, one thing to add to the parts list is finding a spare internal extractor.

I picked up 2 from a gent in Australia I found through one of the HiPower forums. He had about 20 at the time and they sold quick. I do not expect to have a problem with them since I know better than to drop the slide with a round in the chamber, just like you should not do with 1911's.

Here is the bottom one with some Spegel grips I picked up a couple months ago. I plan to have Don Williams over at Action Works do some magic to it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/1960BHPb.jpg

Hello John:  What other noticeable markings are on that"E" series HiPower
If i'm not mistaken, a lot of the "E" series HP's were used by the SAS and MI6

Been thinking of getting one of those along with maybe a Kareem to add to my collection

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]
That is the main reason I bought this one. I wanted a collector to go with the shooter I bought first. I do not know for certain that it was a SAS or MI6 gun but I feel the chances are good that it was. One of the more knowledgeable fellows on a HiPower forum gave it a date of 1952. Here are a couple pics withmore of the proof stamps.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is the main reason I bought this one. I wanted a collector to go with the shooter I bought first. I do not know for certain that it was a SAS or MI6 gun but I feel the chances are good that it was. One of the more knowledgeable fellows on a HiPower forum gave it a date of 1952. Here are a couple pics withmore of the proof stamps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/E-SeriesHPd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/E-SeriesHPc.jpg

Thanks again for the additional pictures - I'll have to look over the Coles listing again and pick one up - maybe my H&R 300 blk will have to wait a little while longer
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Know what's really frustrating?
I bought this one from Coles on the 3rd.  Mailed him payment on the 4th, I think.  He shipped the pistol on the 10th.  Should have been here on the 12th, I'd guess.
But my local dealer (a one man shop) has been down with the flu since the middle of last week!!!
A microscopic virus is preventing me from seeing what I actually bought!  

Hopefully, my continuous flow of "get well soon" email wishes will have a positive effect and he'll be in the shop when I head home tonight...

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
maybe i'm just challenged, but do you have to call to see if they are instock or something? I don't see anything on his site.... would anyone mind telling me the price on these?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

maybe i'm just challenged, but do you have to call to see if they are instock or something? I don't see anything on his site.... would anyone mind telling me the price on these?

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I got it today. They said that the slide had been re stamped but from what I can tell the gun is all original factory numbers. It has some wear but the blued finish is still very nice.

The slide says "Browning Arms Company, Morgan Utah, Montreal P.Q On the left side and made in Belgium assembled in Portugal on the right side.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally had the chance today to pick up mine today, too!
For anyone who cares about such things, it was shipped in a sturdy box, wrapped in a sheet of foam and accompanied by a brand new MecGar 13rd magazine.

Notice the inspector's notations on the box.  Overall condition was rated "Fair to Good, Pitted" with a "Very Good" bore.  By their condition-based pricing model, this one earned a $399 price tag.

Here's what they called "Fair to Good, Pitted".  All I did was take it out of the box, function-test it, and wipe it down with a dirty (somewhat oily) rag.  The bluing is rather dull--almost matte--and there are a few minor marks and mars in it, but nothing I'd call actual "pitting".

It's a late T-series (I'm lead to believe the T314xxx range would have been produced around 1972 but have no definitive knowledge of that)
Slide to frame fit is reasonably snug.  Not as tight as a good custom 1911, but a damn sight tighter than a GI 1911.
Barrel to slide fit is very good.  Movement is barely discernible even when I focus very carefully.

While I might question Copes' "Fair to Good" descriptor (I'd have said G-VG), I'd certainly agree with the "VG" bore.  In fact, I'd call it VG+.  The crown looks fine, the chamber is good and clean and the humped feed ramp is smooth (not polished, but smooth).

The pistol has no importer marks.  It has matching numbers, of course, and "pineapples" on the frame (trigger guard), barrel hood and slide (on the underside, along with a bunch of letters).

The trigger is typically trashy through the take-up (the mag safety will soon "disappear") but the break is pretty crisp and actually a bit lighter than I'd prefer in a carry gun.  I'll detail clean and inspect the FCG then replace the springs and see what I'm working with.

All in all, for anyone considering buying a Hi-Power from Copes…well, I admit I looked through all of his auctions and closely examined the few photos he provides before buying the one I wanted, but if this is representative of what he's selling, I highly recommend getting one (before your loving government decides these high-tech, high-capacity semi-auto killing machines are too dangerous for you to own).

...Now I'm gonna need good leather!
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked Coles and couldnt see a listing for them I need something newer than my 1936
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I checked Coles and couldnt see a listing for them I need something newer than my 1936

you need to check out their gunbroker auctions to find them.

Coles Gunbroker auctions

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one on order- looks to be a late mk II with end of year 1985 production. I can't wait to pick it up after the new year!
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered  one of their C&R eligible ones yesterday.  Emailed my license, and called them to give my CC. I got a busy signal. I'll have to call back tomorrow. Hope they're answering. I want my pistol!
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I got one of their refinished mkIII pistols. It was advertised as good condition, it is actually very good. Service was great, the gun was better than advertised, and the price was fair. I am very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Thats it the 2nd of January I order a new one . Gonna make a project BHP thanks for helping my wallet LOL
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]
complete and en route . Something tells me this isnt my last BHP
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
complete and en route . Something tells me this isnt my last BHP

So what did you end up ordering?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Project BHP
gun broker # 324526533
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Hurm.  I sent them an MO and my FFL on 1/2, and haven't heard from them. Hope they'll ship on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I have this one on the way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like both of you (PolishX and USAF_Hk) snagged nice MkII's.  Be sure to post reports here when you receive them--one like those is on my list of things to buy soon!
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't get one....I got two.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Waiting on a Kareen from SOG. Really dont know what it looks like . Should be here today or tomorow
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I wish I would have checked this thread sooner. I completely forgot about Coles. I was in my LGS and basically impulsed ordered one of the BHP from SOG. The AD says Belgian made so it might be from the same batch that Coles has. It will be here Friday

Edit: Kept typing Copes
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Done
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My vendor is at shot next week so mine won't ge here before then

I need to change it to "I hope" it gets here friday, for the same reason
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Kareen came in with a BHP from SOG. The Kareen was cheaper and is much better looking than the BHP.The BHP was advertised as good but was a very "rough"good. I paid  $350 OTD for the Kareen . Only came with one mag. Luckly I still have my galil mags to sell to buy HP mags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kareen came in with a BHP from SOG. The Kareen was cheaper and is much better looking than the BHP.The BHP was advertised as good but was a very "rough"good. I paid  $350 OTD for the Kareen . Only came with one mag. Luckly I still have my galil mags to sell to buy HP mags.

Ya, I'm afraid this might not be one of my better impulse buys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep in mind mine was an SOG and not a Coles . Dont know if they were the same batch. But im very glad I didnt order the FN.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well I wish I would have checked this thread sooner. I completely forgot about Coles. I was in my LGS and basically impulsed ordered one of the BHP from SOG. The AD says Belgian made so it might be from the same batch that Coles has. It will be here Friday

Edit: Kept typing Copes

Yeah, well, Coles is extremely slow. I won the auction on the 29th, mailed a MO and my FFL on the 2nd, and haven't heard from them since. I sent an inquiry through gunbroker on Monday, and they haven't replied.

I know things are bad all over, but to not even fire off a couple of words in reply to a query strikes me as fairly unprofessional.

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I expect that since the election they are getting swamped.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cole is also recovering from gunshot wounds.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine is at my dealer and arrived last friday - I haven't had time to go back and pick it up, but I did do an inspection. It looks to be in better shape then described. Pending any disasters upon breaking it down, he will definitely get more of my business.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Done
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mine is at my dealer and arrived last friday - I haven't had time to go back and pick it up, but I did do an inspection. It looks to be in better shape then described. Pending any disasters upon breaking it down, he will definitely get more of my business.

Just curious when you won your auction and when you paid?

I STILL have not heard anything from them since the original invoice for payment. Now 2 weeks since I won the auction, and 10 days since I mailed in my payment & FFL.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cole is also recovering from gunshot wounds.....

Seriously?

ETA: True - http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/local/police-allen-homeowner-kills-intruder-in-invasion/article_646a8d9e-e30c-11e1-85d7-001a4bcf887a.html

That was in August, and Coles has been doing a lot of business since then.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Over
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I didn't get a BHP, but I was impressed by the service from Cole's.  I called them up, getting antsy about a Gun Broker item I had won, and a very nice but obviously hard-pressed man with a good KY accent said they were doing the best they could.  I thanked him and said I understood.

The pistol appeared at the local FFL the next day.  In these times, for this guy to be anywhere near civil and the service to be pretty fast are both to be applauded, I think.  The pistol was well-used but a good value and I am happy with what I paid for.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's been a week. I understand the shipping hold up but wish they would take the money already so I can relax . I will have to trust they are swamped and polite on the phone
and go by there 5500 positive gunbroker rating ..

Bud, a week is not that much. Especially with the climate on firearms right now. I've done satisfactory business with them before. Like you said, they have good ratings. It will come. Patience.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone know if this guy have a walk-in shop in Scottsville?  I live within driving distance and would save some cash on the transfer, etc.

He has a ton of Hi Powers on gunbroker.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top