Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
I might be picking one up. From what he can tell me it is a 10mm auto and it looks like a Smith& Wesson 10mm. It is chrome or stainless. Any info would be good. also how much would this be worth?

Thanks
Samuel
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeff Cooper helped design/promote the BREN-TEN,  Might find info from him or google.

The first ones were shipped without mags and at one time (early 80's) you could find guns but no mags.  

Local gun shop had a couple last year and they are very well made firearms.  More CZ than Smith.

I think they sold for around $1500.  I would go to the gun boards/auctions for rough prices.

I would love to have a Bren...

Also, Gun Digest ran an article on them in the late 70's but I don't have the issue number available.   It was the most in depth article I have ever seen.

If you can find an old copy of Combat Handgun digest, Cooper usually promoted the gun there every annual printing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
sonny crocket on miami vice used one. as far as i know he is the only one th got mags with his
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW!
this one is BNIB, w 2 mags and he wants $250!! It's from a guy I work with. He is a shooter too and did not know much about it! I am gonna let him know that they can bring a good dollar.

Anyone know how much the mags go for?

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WOW!
this one is BNIB, w 2 mags and he wants $250!! It's from a guy I work with. He is a shooter too and did not know much about it! I am gonna let him know that they can bring a good dollar.

Anyone know how much the mags go for?

Samuel

Buy it now!  Definitely worth the $250 price tag.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Run with cash in hand.  They are very rare and collectable.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Dedicated website for the Bren-Ten
www.bren-ten.com/index.html

"Coolest '80s TV show EVER!"
nordicg3k.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/miami_vice_theme-mono.mp3 (free 30-second clip of the theme song).
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask about it over at AmBack Forums There is an OIF vet there, goes by the name Bren10man - he knows all about the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got off the phone with the guy on the way home. He said "$250 like I said, I will never shoot this thing and like my .40's better, it's yours"!

Wooo hooo! I am going to get it  sell it and buy me a Glock foutee just kidding.

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Be careful. I've read that they are a bit fragile.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#11]
they are a great pistol, I would love to own one (and i normally hate 10mm.....)

For $250 you should either buy it, or tell him what it is worth (the honorable route) and still buy it if he will cut you a deal
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
To collect yes, to shoot, especially in a life or death situation, NO! Even Jeff Cooper who had some input and such on it acknowledged that it was a good design but the execution sucked badly. Fragile and unreliable, mostly due to the manufacturer. Once the word got out, sales dried up and the company folded I believe. Crappy mags and even in the beginning, almost unobtainable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
fxntime: The company had financial problems going into this thing because their magazine supplier in Italy went belly up which exacerbated their problem. So the company shipped the pistols without mags, and To heap insult on top of misery, Orange County CAlif D.A. sued them. Eventually everybody that needed a mag got one, but unfortunately the company Dornus & Dixon couldn't survive.

Buy this gun but remember, if you break anything, a firing pin, extractor etc, you will have to have a gunsmith fabricate you one. This gun probably can't take too many full-power 10mm ammo. The factory ammo from Norma was pretty big medicine.

The 10mm Glocks and S&W(1000-series) guns are the only one really engineered from the ground up to handle the constant die of factory full-power 10mm loads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good for you!

Never shoot it! Put it on an auction on Guns America or Gun Broker and buy the custom .45 you have always dreamed of with the profits!

Big fat +1 here.

The Bren Ten is a curio.  It looked like a good idea at the time but was plagued by problems and D&D never really had a good solid run of them; the gun was pretty much stillborn.  The EAA Witness was what the Bren Ten should have been.

I wouldn't shoot it for fear of breaking something.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#16]
If I did buy it I would sell it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#17]
get a G20 and blast it.
don't shoot a bren
look for cracks before you buy it, sounds too cheap or person is clueless
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#18]
One of Jeff Cooper's personal Bren Ten's is up for sale on Gunsamerica.com  They want $7,900.00 for it.  A lot of engraving and gold plating.

Maddog
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
get a G20 and blast it.
don't shoot a bren
look for cracks before you buy it, sounds too cheap or person is clueless

I told the guy the value of it. He said he didn't care. I have been reading up on them and it is a later model.
The mags alone are like $140 each!
I think I will probably sell it. I been wanting a new Sig or a Springfield 1911 but have not had the cash.

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
One of Jeff Cooper's personal Bren Ten's is up for sale on Gunsamerica.com  They want $7,900.00 for it.  A lot of engraving and gold plating.

Maddog

It's not Cooper's personal gun.  It's a fake.  Check the link for more info.

Suspicious Bren Listing
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top