Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:52:08 PM EDT

I find them to be very attractive for polymer frame handguns. They look well made and well balanced. And they come with 3 hi-caps (as of right now anyway), so that's a plus.

But I have never had a chance to actually hold or fire one. It seems nobody around here seems to own them. And I haven't seen any in the local shops. So I may have to get a dealer to order one for me.

Here are my questions:

1. How reliable are these weapons?

2. Accuracy?

3. Trigger?

4. Handling/balance?

5. Sights?

I have toyed with the notion of picking one of these up for a long time. But I may actually do it now that there are starting to be a pretty good line of holsters and accessories for them. But it seems the price has also risen steeply from where they were not too long ago. Therefore it may require glowing reports to get me to pay for one now, since they are in the same price range as other quality pistols, many of which have been around a long time and are very proven.

Oh, I'd mostly be interested in the 9mm version, but users of .40's are also welcome to make comments.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i've shot one a few times--.40sw

it was not too bad imo; reliable for all the rnds i put (and the same for the owner), nice ergos and the trigger wasnt too bad (kinda heavy for my tastes)

overall, they are one of the less known or advertised autos that DO work for the price...

personally though, it didnt do a thing that my glocks couldnt do
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a single action 9mm FN and it had a very nice trigger. It was kind of tight so I had to use fiocci plinking ammo because it is hotter. After breaking in I'm sure it would have been fine with any ammo. It worked fine with Winchester silver tips also. They have very comfortable grips and are accurate. I needed the money so I sold it. Iwouldn't mind having another one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Have this one in single action and have an early model in DA/SA. They are both very reliable, never had any type of FTF or FTE problems. They are military type guns and with both guns you had to use a 6 oclock sight picture. Accuary is that of most military pistols. Triggers on both of mine in SAO is very light. They come with 2 back straps, looks better with the one you show in your picture but as you can see by my picture, i like the smaller strap myself. Good guns and price isn't bad.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i've shot one a few times--.40sw

it was not too bad imo; reliable for all the rnds i put (and the same for the owner), nice ergos and the trigger wasnt too bad (kinda heavy for my tastes)

overall, they are one of the less known or advertised autos that DO work for the price...

personally though, it didnt do a thing that my glocks couldnt do

They have been taking out 3 page ads in gun magazines everywhere for a few months now to advertise the FNP 9/40.

For the price and quality, I would definitely buy one of these.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Put 2,000 rounds through an FNP -9 with about 90 XTP and Hydra shock JHP's, had 0 problems.

On the other hand my FNP-40 wore a hole in the web of my hand after only 150 rounds due to the "styleish" hook in the rear no matter which backstrap was used. I could only get 1,300 rounds through it before I sold it no matter what I tried covering it, sanding the upper hook like thing it still put a 1 inch hole in the web of my hand and only got worse as I shot makeing it impossible to function with it after awhile.

Also with both pistols when I started out in double action my first shot would hit the  ground in front of my target which has never happened to me before, and Ive owned HK,Beretta, Sigs also Ruger and smith revolvers and have had no problem keeping them in the killzone much less on the paper on the first shot.

Also the mags are like glock gen 2 mags almost impossible to load by hand especially the last 4,

So if you go in the direction of an FNP I would stick with the 9 unless you have small hands if you do maybe the 40 wont chew up your hands up like plastic sandpaper.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad has one in 9mm and loves it.  Comes with 3 16-round mags, and I don't think he even paid 450 for it.  I bet he's got about 1000 rounds through it now and it hasn't ever malfunctioned.  I've shot it twice and liked it a lot.  It feels like a Glock when I shoot it, except with a better trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I checked one out today at Sportsmans Warehouse and they look to be very well made indeed.  It felt perfect in my hand, and finish/quality look awesome - exactly what you would expect from an FN.  I own Colt, Glock, HK, Desert Eagle, Sig Sauer, Walther and Smith - But I do not have a FN pistol.  I am going to buy the FNP 9mm, I would have today, but they didn't have a model in stock with tritium sites.  They come with 2 backstraps, hard case, manual and 3 - 16 round magazines!   The non tritium was $469.99.  Definitely worth the cash.  I have just got done reading many reviews on them and they sound like an awesome pistol.  No one had Any malfunctions of any sort.  If you buy a 9 or 40 before Dec.31,2007 - you also get a free shooters pack - holster, double mag pouch and something else.  Anyway, I can't wait to get one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright I have to chime in,  I have an FNP9.  A little over 2500 rounds through it no problems, except one.  If I shoot this thing inside I shoot great with it great accuracy.  If I shoot it in three gun I miss quite a bit of what I shoot at. I am blaming the traditional sights over the big dot sites.  I am going to put big dots on it and see what happens.  I am hoping my accuracy goes up.  That has been my only complaint,  It may be my bad habits and such coming through.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I find them to be very attractive for polymer frame handguns. They look well made and well balanced. And they come with 3 hi-caps (as of right now anyway), so that's a plus.

But I have never had a chance to actually hold or fire one. It seems nobody around here seems to own them. And I haven't seen any in the local shops. So I may have to get a dealer to order one for me.

Here are my questions:

1. How reliable are these weapons?

2. Accuracy?

3. Trigger?

4. Handling/balance?

5. Sights?

I have toyed with the notion of picking one of these up for a long time. But I may actually do it now that there are starting to be a pretty good line of holsters and accessories for them. But it seems the price has also risen steeply from where they were not too long ago. Therefore it may require glowing reports to get me to pay for one now, since they are in the same price range as other quality pistols, many of which have been around a long time and are very proven.

Oh, I'd mostly be interested in the 9mm version, but users of .40's are also welcome to make comments.

My FNP9 was my first handgun purchase.

I love the gun, it's by far my favorite.  You really can't touch the gun for the price.

I have about 1000 rounds through the gun, no malfunctions of any type.

It is fairly accurate, it hits where I aim, groups pretty well.  Has "combat" sights, so its quick to sight, but not as accurate at longer distances ~25 yards.  After all, its a service gun by design.

The trigger is great, 8 lbs DA and 3-4 lbs SA, very smooth and breaks clean.

It balances well, it's not very heavy and with the mag in the weight is pretty evenly distributed.

For the money, you get a stainless slide, excellent trigger, 3 STAINLESS mags, and the ideal CCW platform (DA/SA with no safety) imo.

You can get it for about $350 + s/h and ffl transfer from Ray Tanners, check gunbroker.com

Here is mine:

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have word on when the 45acp version will be made available?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the 9M chopped style, But I am still in test mode so first hundred rounds were just Ball ammo. The compact is sweet with both Grips, the flat back keeps it on a down angle. U.S made is a plus too. Hey I need the single action kit does it exist?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to a FN shoot and they had several 9's and 40's that they let us shoot. They all shot real well and had very good ergos. I hit a couple cans of shaving cream at 50+ yards.
I am a sig guy. I will never sell my sigs. However if I would have found these guns before I got my sig or if sigs didnt exist I think a fnp would be my first choice for a DA/SA gun.

Got to hold one of the 45's last week it felt good I think it will be a good seller. They are also making a 5.7 in Dark Earth and it looked pretty cool too.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I keep wanting to get one, but for some reason I keep buying something else when I got free money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I keep wanting to get one, but for some reason I keep buying something else when I got free money.

That was my same problem.

But, after hearing all of these good reports so far, I may just have to break down and get one (unless I corner a S&W M&P 9mm first). I'm typically a Glock and Sig guy, but there's just something about these FN handguns that appeal to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top