Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2012 7:10:35 AM EDT
Saw one of these at the local store and kind of fell in love with it. Certainly a last ditch effort, but it's so small you can forget it's even there. Anyone actually have one of these tiny .22 pistols that they can share their input on?
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:20:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2012 9:51:11 AM EDT by timkel]
They are good to go. Stainless steel, 5 shot 22 very compact, very good for CCW.
The tactical boys look down on them, whatever.
Updated with pics.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:48:31 AM EDT
I picked up one from a co-worker who said it didn't work, turns out this guys cleaning kit didn't seem to work.

Nice little piece, likes high velocity ammo, I prefer to CC something bigger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 3:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2012 3:20:35 PM EDT by PA452]
I have one, works well. As said, it's a good absolute minimum CCW option or backup. I usually just carry it when I can't conceal my normal CCW.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 3:51:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PA452:
I have one, works well. As said, it's a good absolute minimum CCW option or backup. I usually just carry it when I can't conceal my normal CCW.

+1

I use mine as back-up & when I've got minimal clothing, i.e. on the beach or something.

Mine is the .22mag model with the folding black plastic handle. Folded up & in my pocket, it looks like a pocket knife. Damn accurate out to about 15-20 feet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:13:27 PM EDT
I have one in 22LR And one in 22 Mag , carry both from time to time . I have had the 22lr one for 14 yrs it has been shot a lot never had a problem.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 4:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2012 8:59:04 AM EDT by Makarov]
I have one in .22mag as pictured above below. It also came with a .22LR cylinder. I have run 200+ rounds through mine and the ONLY failures I had were with Winchester Dynapoint Magnum. This round has a lubed lead bullet that seems a bit oversized for my chamber and it would not allow the rim to fully seat. The hammer would strike the rim and push the cartridge forward. The second strike would fire the cartridge. This ONLY happens with the Winchester Dynapoint Magnum. All other Magnum and LR loads function without issue. This is no target gun and I experienced a couple keyholes with the LR cylinder but much tighter groups with the Magnum cylinder. I found the original grip to be too small and I felt as if I could easily drop or lose control of the gun while firing or in a fight. I ordered the factory oversized wood grips which vastly improved the retention ability. I also tried the rubber grips but found they prevented me from smoothly grasping the gun while using a pocket holster. I know .22Magnum from a 1-5/8" barrel is not a gun you should choose to bring to a gun fight but I keep mine in my weak-side pocket as a BUG. Hornady now offers a .22Magnum "Critical Defense" load that is designed for pistol length barrels. The gun itself is a wonderfully manufactured piece of American craftsmanship and worth owning for that reason if nothing else. For defensive use, I see this as a contact weapon while grappling with an attacker.

ETA;

My .22Mag. Mini with Oversize Grips

This is a target at ~5 feet that shows the extreme between the worst (accurracy-wise) .22LR and the best .22Mag. The arrow is pointing to a key-hole;

Also, the gun doesn't really have sights. It is more of an indexed point shooting. However, in a fight, I see this as more of a shove it in the gut and yell "get the fuck off me" kind of gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 7:17:44 AM EDT
I currently have 3 of them. .22lr 1-1/8", .22mag 1-5/8" and a NAA PUG .22mag 1-1/8"

I rarely carry any of them, because most of the time I have no problem carrying something a little larger. But if I had to go completely discreet I would have no issues grabbing the PUG.

Here's my .22lr in a RKBA Holsters "Pouch" holster:

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:14:20 PM EDT
I bought the belt buckle version at least 20 years ago...

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/desmodue944/NA22.jpg
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:02:50 PM EDT
I had a PUG,nice gun but found the thing would shift in my hand everytime I cocked it also it was a bit hard to hang onto-I have long hands so really small stuff can be a bit uncomfortable.

Once I found I had to position it every time I cocked it it shot well,never had a problem or misfire,want to get a Mini Master somedays.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:14:02 PM EDT
I picked one up as a lark a few years ago. The darned thing has found a home in my front pocket. I goes in without thinking about it. It may not stop a chargind rhino, but, it's better that harsh language.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:24:56 PM EDT
Great little gun for deep concealment . Also really cool how well machined they are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:33:40 PM EDT
I have two of the .22 mag Black widow models. Great little guns. The BW has decent sights and oversize grips that make them really good shooters. They are much more accurate than the bulk of the small .32s and .380s out on the market.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:47:43 PM EDT
I had one. Could not hit a B27 target at 7-yards when trying to line up the front sight blade and the rear of the frame as the "sights."

The delicate lockwork broke in under 400 rounds and had to be repaired uder warranty. I sold it and bought an LCP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2012 3:44:19 PM EDT by xikteny]
I have one in .22 short. Bought it as more of a novelty than anything else, and as such haven't shot it very much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:19:41 AM EDT
Does anyone have, or know where to find, pictures of the Black Widow directly next to the regular magnum? I'm wondering about the differences in overall size between the two...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Salvadorsshadow:
Does anyone have, or know where to find, pictures of the Black Widow directly next to the regular magnum? I'm wondering about the differences in overall size between the two...

I believe one would find size specs on the NA web site.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:11:50 PM EDT
i own a black widow amd a pug both in wmr the bw is to large to pocket carry so i got the pug
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:21:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BobCole:

I can find the size specs, and they don't look overly disimilar, however I really am wondering how they compare to each other on a table. I'm wondering about pocketability of the BW with smaller grips vs the regular 1 5/8 Magnum.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:57:15 PM EDT
I just picked up a BW 22mag for $150, neat little pistol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:06:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BobCole:

I can find the size specs, and they don't look overly disimilar, however I really am wondering how they compare to each other on a table. I'm wondering about pocketability of the BW with smaller grips vs the regular 1 5/8 Magnum.

Sorry, I don't have pics but I did look at a BW before buying my 1-5/8" mini-mag. IIRC they were about the same size with the notable difference being the vent rib and actual sights on the BW as well as the oversized hourglass grips. It didn't seem any less easier to pocket carry provided the sights don't hang up on whatever pocket holster you use.

Top Top