Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2008 6:25:01 AM EDT
I am looking for something my wife can carry in her purse. I kind of have it narrowed down to the Kahr, the new Ruger and the seecamp 380.
Just wondering how it shoots. Is it available yet?
Also, what is the size difference between the Kahr 9mm and the 380?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Their website says its coming out in June 2008.  You'll also find picture comparisons of it and the PM9, as well as the P3AT on their site.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Their website says its coming out in June 2008.  You'll also find picture comparisons of it and the PM9, as well as the P3AT on their site.

JUNE RELEASE DATE....IT SHOULD BE A WINNER..
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the first handgun I have been anxiously looking forward to in years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do don't buy her the seecamp 380...unless you want it for yourself.  I have one and carry it everyday, but the recoil is painful.  

These are great guns and reliable, but unless she has an extremely strong grip and no sensation of pain in her trigger finger then she will shoot it one time and will give it back to you.  The recoil is controlled by the trigger finger stopping the trigger guard.  This smacks the finger pretty good and it hurts.

SC

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1  

I love my P3AT, but I wish the quality was better.  I haven't had any problems with it, but I can't help but to wonder about its durability.  The Kahr is going to be awesome! :)

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

I love my P3AT, but I wish the quality was better.  I haven't had any problems with it, but I can't help but to wonder about its durability.  The Kahr is going to be awesome! :)

+10.  the P380 sure looks like a winner.  Just a scaled down version of ther PM9, it should be a winner allthe way around...
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope they come out with cheaper version, like the CW9 is to the P9 or what not. I cant see myself dropping 600 for a .380.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hope they come out with cheaper version, like the CW9 is to the P9 or what not. I cant see myself dropping 600 for a .380.

For my girl to carry, I sure can. She has already shown interest, so I'm just waiting for her to get her permit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For my girl to carry, I sure can. She has already shown interest, so I'm just waiting for her to get her permit.

question we should all ask:  WHAT VALUE DO WE PUT ON OUR LIVES?? oNE WILLBE ABLE TO FIND THOSE p3890 KAHRS ALL day long for under $500 when they hit the dealer shelves.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+10.  the P380 sure looks like a winner.  Just a scaled down version of ther PM9, it should be a winner allthe way around...

Amen brother.  I love my PM9 too so it will be a great addition to my carry gun "family".
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been carrying a CW9 dialy since last fall. LOVE IT!

Just put a TP-45 (with Novak tritium sights) on layaway and should have it in a month or two.

After that, it's the P380. I too have been axiously awaiting this tiny little pistol. Although I'm not thrilled about the caliber, it's a perfect pocket gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have been carrying a CW9 dialy since last fall. LOVE IT!

Just put a TP-45 (with Novak tritium sights) on layaway and should have it in a month or two.

After that, it's the P380. I too have been axiously awaiting this tiny little pistol. Although I'm not thrilled about the caliber, it's a perfect pocket gun.

Just got back from the NRA convention and had first hand chance to see the new kahr P380 Guys, let me tell you this is one super super looking handgun. they did it right, in every detail.  Just eaks in quality, and if you own a PM9, just vision it scaled way down in size. Evertything else is exactly the same.  The gun they had at the show I was told by a Kahr person there had over 25,000 rounds through it and no breakage. They are still shooting for June, but my bet is don't depend on June as a release date.  They also told me that it wolud be later on offered in the black DLC finsih also and nite sites option later to.  Not a cheap made gun, price dictates quality and it to me certainly looks worth every dollar to.  Just one hell of a nice ccw gun and one you can shoot till the cows come home to. This is not a cheap ass looking kt 380 , and yet even smaller and comes in under 10 ounces.  It will come with a spare magazine and right now in the matt finish stainless version...
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't want to put a stick in the spokes here but a Smith and Wesson 642 wheel gun makes the best lady gun ever. Never a malfunction to clear, light recoil, low maintenance and good stopping power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't want to put a stick in the spokes here but a Smith and Wesson 642 wheel gun makes the best lady gun ever. Never a malfunction to clear, light recoil, low maintenance and good stopping power.

great gun the 642 but ur kidding yourself if you say "lite recoil"  for a woman it is very uncomfortable, probably for most men to.  Will never jam, but I sure shoot far far better with my 9mm semi over any Smith J frames that I have owned and I owned a bunch of them. still own a Model 60 pre lock, great gun, just not a fun gun to shoot IMO
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Try the Winchester Silvertip with the brass case they are not the +P loads and are a great round for a female shooter. I trained alot of female shooters and have seen them pick out the little auto's because they are small, cute and sexy but once they start jamming they freak. I have never had a student complain about the little Smith other than to say you give up some accuracy past 15 yards. If you add the Uncle Mikes boot grip (rubber) the gun is tame to shoot.

IMO your objective is to arm the shooter with a reliable and safe platform. I do not see the need for a civillian platform used only for personal defense to be accurate beyond that range. The State of Florida pistol course santioned by CJST no longer goes back to 25 yards.

If your girl is hitting center of mass at 3 yards, 7 yards and getting some hits at 15 she is good to go.  Don't make the mistake many men do by thinking she is going to be a deadeye shooter. Once you add stress and fear most don't hit anything beyond 3 yards. Just give them the chance to get all their shots off and not get stuck with a sexy little jammer in their hand.  

JUST MY 2 CENTS
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't let up they say I suffer from OCD...lol

I thought it was ironic that I just found a brief piece written by the "GODFATHER" of hand guns Evan Marshall. Had to post it on this forum as it is so relevant to a defensive pocket compact.I have to admit that I feel better when I have a short-barreled wheel gun secreted somewhere on my ample frame. I certainly don’t rely on a single gun but there’s something about the snub that speaks peace to my soul.

Copied off the Evan Marshall web site:
I have a preference in associating with people who carry or at least have had a long and intimate relationship with these often scorned self defense firearms. They seem to be of my generation and have a sort of stoic approach I find refreshing.

Ed Lovette is an old friend who has seen the elephant on a variety of continents and lived to pass on his immense wisdom. Quite simply, when Ed speaks I shut up and take notes. Ed’s book is a real gem and I only hope he continues to educate the rest of us. He has managed to put more wisdom into 100+ pages than I did in a book more than twice as long.

Buy this book! Then buy a snub! Nah, they don’t come with polymer frames and 18 shot magazines, but I carried one in my hip pocket for twenty years as a Detroit Cop and three times it brought me home at night. They are rugged, dependable, and beat a $100,000 insurance policy back at home in the desk drawer.

Ed refers to the snub as an Extreme Close Quarters weapon and then discusses tactics, ammo, carry, etc. This is simply an exceptional book by an exceptional man. You won’t be disappointed.

Evan

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry I forgot to preface the post: Mr. Marshall has a friend who he refers to in the post that is a veteran of gunfights and hunting all over the world. He wrote a book to teach people about the "snubbie" revolver as a self defense weapon.

Book Name:The Snubby Revolver
Author: Ed Lovett

Also check out the Marshall web site:  stoppingpower.net

Awesome information, Marshall was the one who studied real world shootings and rated one shot stops based on ammo and caliber.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry I forgot to preface the post: Mr. Marshall has a friend who he refers to in the post that is a veteran of gunfights and hunting all over the world. He wrote a book to teach people about the "snubbie" revolver as a self defense weapon.

Awesome information, Marshall was the one who studied real world shootings and rated one shot stops based on ammo and caliber.

guess we should just do away with every gun but the snubby wheelgun then??? If what Evan says is gospel, I am just wasting my time carrying my Kahr pm9. darn, should have read the book
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

oops sorry about that.  computer failure,  can't be ME!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

oops sorry about tht, started to double post.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I fondled the Kahr .380 in their booth at the NRA convention last weekend.  It was nice no doubt. I own a PM-9 and was really surprised with how much smaller the .380 is.

Personally though, of all the guns I saw there, I liked the Ruger .380 awfully well. I think for the money it is probably a better buy.

For thr record, I also own a Kel-Tec .380.  The Ruger appears to be much better built.  Overall I'd say the the Ruger is a much higher quality piece.  Never been a fan of their autos before.

I like the Kel-Tec OK but do dislike the fact the ejector is not pressed into the frame. It is very easy to lose when field stripping the gun to clean it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Your lack of real experience shows.

See your girl at the range!
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I fondled the Kahr .380 in their booth at the NRA convention last weekend.  It was nice no doubt. I own a PM-9 and was really surprised with how much smaller the .380 is.

Personally though, of all the guns I saw there, I liked the Ruger .380 awfully well. I think for the money it is probably a better buy.

For thr record, I also own a Kel-Tec .380.  The Ruger appears to be much better built.  Overall I'd say the the Ruger is a much higher quality piece.  Never been a fan of their autos before.

I like the Kel-Tec OK but do dislike the fact the ejector is not pressed into the frame. It is very easy to lose when field stripping the gun to clean it.

the ruger 380 is a better gun than the kt, IMO, BUT the kaha IMO is hands above both of them in quality.  Pricey to, but quality,  Just depends what one wants.  If not the kahr, definitely the lcp ruger.  My lcp has 1000 flawless rounds through it.  Something I could never get out of my 3 kt's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks nice, but $600 for a little 380.  I know you get what you pay for, but that is a bit much for my blood.  Most likely too small for my hands any how. Still I'd like to try one.

FB
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Practically speaking, why don't you just go ahead and get her a Kel-Tec P3AT?  It's a proven design, $100 less than any of your other choices, light, thin, suprisingly accurate.

If you want something a little bigger with less recoil, the SIG P232 is a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Practically speaking, why don't you just go ahead and get her a Kel-Tec P3AT?  It's a proven design, $100 less than any of your other choices, light, thin, suprisingly accurate.

If you want something a little bigger with less recoil, the SIG P232 is a good choice.

HI Stinson,

If that is directed toward me....I have tried a KT and the only thing that was proven was that it was not 100% reliable.  If there was only $100 difference between the Kahr and a KT I would grab one for sure just to try out.  I have a Ruger on order, should be less then $250 out the door, when ever it gets here that is. The kahr looks smaller then the KT in the pic and the KT is already a bit too small.

FB
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
owned 3 kt's and none of them worked. Peddled them all.  My lcp has been flawless for 1000 rounds.  Indeed the Kahr P380 puts the lcp and kt's to shame, Pricey but oh my what a super made handgun.  Seen it felt it at the NRA show.  It is an awsome made and a spittin image of the pm9 just scaled way way down.  It is smaller than the kt and lcp 380's but not by much. Its small enough that is for sure. This little jewel just has it all and thatis what I like about it.  Now they may have bene lying to me but the cheif tech guru at the karh booth told me the exact gun that they had on display was their prototype and test gun and it had over 20,000 rounds through it.  Might be a ripleys believe it or not" but that what he said. They will    down the roasd be offere din the black DLC finish also and also with nite sites.  But right now ust in the matt stainless finish and standard sites.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Any updates on when these will be in our local gun shops?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#29]
ETA Pushed out Shipping Summer 2008!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The price comparison to the PM9 looks good, $100 or so less like I was hoping. PM9's are $510 at gun shows here, $450 etc for the P380 sounds ok. Does anyone know if they are going to make a black coated slide version?? Also what is that metal tab on the lower frame grip area??
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I've never wanted a 380 but this pistol has me thinking about getting one. I'll wait til the bugs get worked out first though. I don't like being the Beta Tester.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The price comparison to the PM9 looks good, $100 or so less like I was hoping. PM9's are $510 at gun shows here, $450 etc for the P380 sounds ok. Does anyone know if they are going to make a black coated slide version?? Also what is that metal tab on the lower frame grip area??

My guess would be the serial number.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I got really pissed at a local, well 85 miles away, shop over a pistol that they didn't have afterall.  The other bad news is they have no clue when they will start shipping the 380, not june though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup serial number and yes they willbe offering the black dlc finsih along with nite sites BUT not atthe beginning. That is what they told me at the NRA show. I even ask about a possable cw series,  they just smiled...
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Still waiting to see the 380........any body seen one or know when they will be out
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup serial number and yes they willbe offering the black dlc finsih along with nite sites BUT not atthe beginning. That is what they told me at the NRA show. I even ask about a possable cw series,  they just smiled...

Thanks for the info guys. I wonder why they put the serial # on the frame in that area, go figure. What is the CW, an Elite series gun? I would be in the market for a coated P380 but if someone were to trade me a coated PM9 for my MK9 I could be persuaded, hah.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#37]
SORRY GUys  I was informed today that the p380 kahr willbe now late july...
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks!  I want one of these so bad, I'm buying one on site.  I.E. the first one I see for same will be mine!

BTW, where are you getting this info from?
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!  I want one of these so bad, I'm buying one on site.  I.E. the first one I see for same will be mine!

a gal who I have been communicating with that works inside at Kahr, and who was also at the NRA convention and knew everything about the little P380 that I could ask of here. She shoots pretty straight also.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a gal who I have been communicating with that works inside at Kahr, and who was also at the NRA convention and knew everything about the little P380 that I could ask of here. She shoots pretty straight also.  

Nice! Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a question about where the serial number is placed.  On the P and PM series guns, the serial plate is placed on the underside of the polymer  frame, just to the front of the trigger guard.  On the P380, that area of the frame is too small to fit the serial plate, so it was moved to the lower part of the grip.

The P380 was shown to the retail public at the NRA show in Louisville... and it was a hit!  Men and women alike surrounded the little guy and couldnt keep their hands off of it.  Typically the gun most women initially pick up and want is the PM9...however I think the P380 is going to be a girl's new best friend...putting up some competition with the PM9.  I'm not sure I'll switch over, I love my PM9 and cant imagine shelving it.

If you want to see comparison photos, check out www.kahr.com to see the PM9 compared to the P380.  

The final touches are being finished and you will see it out soon!

KahrGirl
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Any news on shipping dates?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Any news on shipping dates?

Mid-August or early September, per this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=35&t=60714

The way the industry typically works, I'd say that translates to "by the end of the year,  maybe."
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top