Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2013 3:28:40 PM EDT
I was trying to hold out for a blued SR1911 but one came available a year or so ago.

I am thinking about either FDE or desert tan.  Not gonna go black as I have several black 1911s.  Gonna have one of my P226s done in whatever color I don't to the SR1911 in.

So, what do y'all think, FDE, tan, or something else that you will describe for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Kimber CDP Pro II that I'm thinking of putting #26 on.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Kimber CDP Pro II that I'm thinking of putting #26 on.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h384/just02896/image_zps45a59086.jpg

That looks somewhat gray.

Is that a chart from a company that does refinishing?

I like 19 and/or 30.

Hmmm, maybe 53.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.acoating.com/

#19 will look very "yellowy" once on the gun.
#27 looks nice!

Have you considered two tone or would you prefer one color?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
They have great pricesfor Cerakote, but that color chart is for duracoat, and I personally would use krylon if I was going to paint a gun. Cerakote is better than duracoat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Turned it in to a gunsmith over in Brunswick today to get it Cerakoated.

Not sure of the color name, but it's a medium brown and the P226 will be desert tan.

He hasn't started, but what do y'all think of telling him to do it in WWII OD?
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

#27 looks nice!

I have had two tones guns before and kinda prefer one color.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

#27 looks nice!

I have had two tones guns before and kinda prefer one color.

Two tone is mo beta
Desert sage frame, magpul fde slide btw.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thought about doing mine in FDE to match my FNX-45, I like polished stainless like my eclipse and delta elite so might take the plunge on my sr1911 since its a carry piece .
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thought about doing mine in FDE to match my FNX-45, I like polished stainless like my eclipse and delta elite so might take the plunge on my sr1911 since its a carry piece .

How do you think a 1911 would look in OD?

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]

With these:

Or these:

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Badass.... I'm a stainless guy but a quality finish like Sig uses on their 1911's looks great, I think OD or FDE done right would look awesome, nothing worse than a half assed job though to ruin a great pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Badass.... I'm a stainless guy but a quality finish like Sig uses on their 1911's looks great, I think OD or FDE done right would look awesome, nothing worse than a half assed job though to ruin a great pistol.

The gunsmith in Brunswick that I left it with Cerakoted a 110 Savage that I had him put a heavy barrel on.  It looks great and seems to be quite durable.  We talked about and he was talking about how he would do it and sounds like he knows what he is doing.  He blasts the finish and airbrushes the Cerakote.

If he screws it up, he is close enough for me to work with to correct any problem but I think it will turn out well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Definitely post pics and how the finish holds up to some range time and carry use !!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Definitely post pics and how the finish holds up to some range time and carry use !!!

Will do.  He did one of my Savage 110 and it looks great and is holding up.  The only place that shows any wear is the flash suppressor/suppressor mount that goes up inside the can.  It got dirty.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
While searching for a Gov model SR1911, ran across this.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/411546881.jpg

Want!

That looks great.

Have not gotten mine back yet.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Got it back.  Looks good, won't run worth a shit now after being perfect before:

He even did the inside of the frame and the end of the barrel and I figure it's either too thick or the ramp is too rough now.

Gonna take it back when he gets back from out of town.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
If the inside is as undersprayed as the outside, then any increased thickness should wear away quickly. I wouldn't have let that go out to a customer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the inside is as undersprayed as the outside, then any increased thickness should wear away quickly. I wouldn't have let that go out to a customer.

They do not leave until 1.) they look perfect and 2.) they work as they did when dropped off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I am thinking about just having him remove the coating altogether.

Right now I am wishing that I had not had this done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought at first the nose of the round was hanging up on the ramp/throat.

Each shot would leave it maybe .30 or so out of battery and a push on the end of the slide would send it home.

BUT, last night I noticed that it had a "catch" when returning to battery even with no rounds in it.

Maybe the locking lugs on the barrel are having a hard time seating into the ones on the slide due to the coating being too thick?

I guess it could be the barrel bushing has too much crap.

Damn it, it could be all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scotch brite pad and start removing the coating in the areas where you think it's hanging up?

Remove some and test?

I'm gonna make the gunsmith do all that and use his ammo.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scotch brite pad and start removing the coating in the areas where you think it's hanging up?

Remove some and test?

Well, even better.

Thank you for curing me from thinking about coating my full size.

I guess the SR1911 is so tight that the coating is just too thick.

I might send it back to Ruger and just pay them to return it to original and consider the cost of doing so as paying for a lesson.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to fix it yourself, take the gun apart, and assemble just the slide and frame with a good amount of oil on the ways.

Once you've got that working like it should (gliding smoothly back and forth [although, it's a Ruger it may not have been there to begin with ]), install the barrel and bushing, again with a liberal amount of oil on all contact surfaces, and just work it until its smooth.

I'm not too keen on how that job looks in the pics. I'm betting it's even worse in person. Are there fingerprints in the finish?
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, it's the applicators fault, not the coating. It's too thick where it shouldn't be and too thin in others.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh, it's the applicators fault, not the coating. It's too thick where it shouldn't be and too thin in others.

I'm just gonna let him try to work it out before I do anything else but he won't be back until next Monday.

Given that it looks like crap, as you noted, I may just have him remove it completely.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you want to fix it yourself, take the gun apart, and assemble just the slide and frame with a good amount of oil on the ways.

Once you've got that working like it should (gliding smoothly back and forth [although, it's a Ruger it may not have been there to begin with ]), install the barrel and bushing, again with a liberal amount of oil on all contact surfaces, and just work it until its smooth.

I'm not too keen on how that job looks in the pics. I'm betting it's even worse in person. Are there fingerprints in the finish?

No fingerprints.

I will do what you said though since I have a few days before he gets back.

And yes, it was quite smooth before I had this done.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove some and test?

Well, even better.

There are a couple of pretty decent coaters replying to this thread that make the guy that did larry's pistol look like he's never done it before.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove some and test?

Well, even better.

There are a couple of pretty decent coaters replying to this thread that make the guy that did larry's pistol look like he's never done it before.

ziara?
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ziara?

And me. He's been doing it a long time and he taught me most of what I know.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ziara?

Okay, if the smith here can't straighten it out, which of you two should I send it to in lieu of sending it to Ruger?

Given that it's not working and the finish is not very good, if he can't get it right, I don't have the expertise nor the equipment to make the finish look better even if I do get it running right.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ziara?

Okay, if the smith here can't straighten it out, which of you two should I send it to in lieu of sending it to Ruger?

Given that it's not working and the finish is not very good, if he can't get it right, I don't have the expertise nor the equipment to make the finish look better even if I do get it running right.

Him. He's a full on, legit gun smith. I'm just a lowly coater.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Want!

Boy I LIKE that!

I might have to do that sometime.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Geez Larry, it's too bad you've had such bad luck on this project. That's sucks.

Fwiw, it doesn't look bad on a phone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought of having my Kimber coated, but I will hold off now................sorry to see you had problems with the coating

Quoted:

Not sure of the color name, but it's a medium brown and the P226 will be desert tan.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought of having my Kimber coated, but I will hold off now................sorry to see you had problems with the coating

Quoted:

Don't let one bad coater turn you off the process.  There are a lot of good coaters out there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't let one bad coater turn you off the process.  There are a lot of good coaters out there.

Yes sir! This is the truth!
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

No and I am beginning to get ticked off.  They guy won't return my calls and he has my SR1911 and one of my Sig P226s.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Boy I LIKE that!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want!

Boy I LIKE that!

You guys seen this? My LGS has one. NICE.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Question for the "Coaters" when coating the gun is it necessary to have the interior surfaces coated or can only the exteriors be done?
Also, 2nd question
Can the Rails on the lower "not" be coated during the process?
Just curious. I would really like to have my SR1911 done.
cp
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Question for the "Coaters" when coating the gun is it necessary to have the interior surfaces coated or can only the exteriors be done?
Also, 2nd question
cp
View Quote

I prefer to only coat visible surfaces. Anything can be masked off.  Cerakote should be applied very thin and shouldn't affect fit, but since 1911s are rather tight, I personally leave the frame rails untouched, unless the customer wants microslick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want!

Boy I LIKE that!

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/bonehead911/navysealsr1911_zpsb8a414b3.jpg

Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I prefer to only coat visible surfaces. Anything can be masked off.  Cerakote should be applied very thin and shouldn't affect fit, but since 1911s are rather tight, I personally leave the frame rails untouched, unless the customer wants microslick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, 2nd question
cp

Thanks I appreciate the answer.
chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

I went by to see him yesterday.  He said he has just been really slammed and showed me a bottle of FDE Cerakote that had ruptured it's bottle.  He said he has been waiting for some to come in.

He said he just got a new supply in.

When I originally took it in and he saw the blems and it not working, he was very apologetic about it.

He's a good guy who has done other stuff.  He said late next week so I will be patient.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want!

Boy I LIKE that!

Just ordered one from a shop in Pensacola, FL.

And went online and donated $100 more to the Navy SEAL Foundation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top