Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 8:57:46 PM EDT
I carry a G21 with night sights on my duty belt, but am considering switching to a G22C + Surefire rail mounted light.  How much flame shoots out of the compensating slots, and is it bright enough to damage sight picture in semi-low light?  I understand that in complete dark, it would probably be distracting, but that's what the rail light is for, right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
dont forget the flash/powder/flames that will shoot up when you point shoot--you might burn yourself or launch crap upward into your face

i would not carry a compensated pistol b/c night shooting firearms in general is a PITeyes (try out AKs/ARs w/ and w/out FHs...)

the light is helpful in IDing your target, but not really help negating the muzzle flash, expecially the upward flare of a compensated pisol...

try it...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
i shot a friend's g17c around dusk one night.  every shot i had to let my eyes readjust to the increasing lack of light.  i would hate to have to shoot that in complete darkness.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It would get ugly if you pulled it in tight and fired a close quarters shot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I got rid of my V10 because of this issue.  It used to be my bedside weapon until I was educated by a very helpful person at the range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I just realized the close quarters shot problem today-  I've decided to stay with non-comp, whatever the model.  Thanks for the responses.  CLOSE
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Every time a thread like this comes up I have to scratch my head and think what did people do when revolvers were the norm. How do you shoot that close up and not get hit with the flame blast from the cylinder gap? At least with the glock 17c I had (sold in favor of getting a 19C) I could cant the gun outwards because the ports directed the blast over a very small area.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]
well, I've done it with issue gear in:

low light
night with flashlight
night with nvg
night with pro mask

train, train and train.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
enjoy glock 24c w/8 moa jpoint on top, m6 illuminator/laser under, jp magwell, dawson +5 mag ext.

my girlfriend's open IPSC pistol (we also have 22+27 for comparison)

yeah, she throws a basketball size flame out the top, but it is so instant, we don't notice it when shooting and focusing on target/red dot(s), and we def. shoot in low light

only noticed in NO light/low light conditions off to the side standing next to shooter watching for the flash, not noticed while shooting ---  have you guys noticed this too??

shot some fed JHP, but mostly 180 gr load w/N330 as powder, approx 900 fps

we were def. checking for loss of night vision, etc. (have heard this concern alot)

no probs. here

but the comp don't do all that much for me, compaired to mod.22, but my honey likes it

they sure do make the pistol LOUD though

I trust all my Glocks for home protection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top