Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:35:11 PM EDT
I'm just wondering if anyone alse has friends of family members that think there is no reason at all to "carry" a concealed weapon.  I have severl friends, and a few family members that look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I carry a handgun on me all of the time.

The most common comments I get are "why would you carry a gun, it's not like you're ever going to have to use it", or "are you that scared of people that you have to carry a gun on you all the time".  

I usually just laugh and ignore them, or tell them "one of these days when  you are getting mugged or robbed and someone that is "carrying" saves your life, you will think different.

Does anyone else have friends or family that thinks it's totally crazy to cary a gun.....or am I the only one?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Ohhh man, don't even get me started on this sh*t!! Ask them why they wear a seat belt, "What...are you scared you'll get in a car wreck, or something?!?!"

What's funny is that on the few occasions I've actually entertained a discussion with these types of people it turns out they 1). have never been involved in any type of violent crime/confrontation, and 2). they seemed to honestly believe that any situation could be resolved/avoided by level-headed reasoning and discussion, or just plain runnin.'

But...usually I just don't even bother to try to explain myself...don't feel that I have to. You can tell right away just by the way they ask whether they are sincerely interested, or just trying to be snide about it. What's sad is that ,outside of 911 and a locked door, these people go about life everyday without the means to provide any protection whatsoever for their loved ones.    

I think this fits the bill rather nicely...
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsibly to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The only family member that saw me 'printing' was my dad. He asked me if I had my CHL, yes, of course.  He said he might get his. I told him not to, because the previous nights discussion was how he failed to qualify with his 1911 in the Army (had to poke holes in the target with a pencil )

Anyway, I know the ones who would freak out and they will never find out
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
They still don't see the need for a simple HD shoty.  

They have 911, the police will stop the bad guys.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I generally avoid discussing what's under my clothes.  Bad form, old man.  Nobody needs to know but me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Does anyone else have friends or family that thinks it's totally crazy to cary a gun.

Actually .... No .

Some are surprised that I carry a weapon , but no one
has ever said I was crazy for doing so .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
My family USED TO think that way, so much so that my brother demanded that I leave it in my car when visiting their house because of his 3 year old daughter.  He was afraid she might somehow "take it from me," thumbreak and all. wtf?  That was until about 8 years ago when a large man, early 30's came to the door demanding to use the phone saying, "I need to use your phone, let me in."  (yeah right ! not a chance).  Through the intercom in the kitchen I told him to use the payphone across the street and after not being able to convince me he got more and more agitated and began pounding on the glass front doors yelling "I said open the f*&king door!"  At this point my folks, my brother and his wife are scrambling around the house in fear because he won't leave and now sounds like he is trying to break in.  I told him a 3rd time via intercom to stop hitting the door and when he didn't I entered the hallway to the front door and drew down on him.  He saw me through the glass and smartly decided to run away.  From upsairs I could hear my mother and brother shouting 3 magic words that changed their views forever: "where's your gun?"  My dad is a doctor and USED TO be anti-gun because of the trauma surgeries he's done... so much so that I never told him I had my CCW and Sig229.  That day he and I talked about my decision to carry.  It didn't take any convincing for him (or my family) to understand why I CCW.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#9]
My mother-in-law would freek but I use don't ask don't tell.  All my other family members don't care and know I am careful.  My father-in-law is looking to get one now and no they are not married any longer.

I will try to work on my dad for a carry permit.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quit telling people that you are carrying a concealed pistol.  The whole point is concealment.  The only way someone should know is if you are pointing it at them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
My family thinks guns will walk around on their own shooting people.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my family but most of them are fucking clueless about guns. They all live in NYC and surrounding burbs.
The only really cool one is my wife's cousin. Lives in Aiken, SC and is a bigger gun nut than me
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My now wife..then girlfriend.  It only to took about a year to change her mind.  Now she has two handguns and a LTC.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife.  Not totally against it, but doesn't understand why I carry, and sometimes gets angry when I carry to places she thinks are "inappropriate."  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
just about all of my in-laws think its over-reacting to carry a gun.  over-reacting to life, in general.  

my brothers and mother know i do, and accept it as my father carried on just about everyday of his adult life.  its expected.  i'm the only one who carries regularly though.

my wife picks at me but she doesn't care if i do - she won't because she still thinks "it won't happen to me".  let something stir up the dogs or go bump in the night, though, and she is wondering where my pistol is, etc etc.

i don't tell others i carry for reasons listed in other posts.  i have a couple of dumba#% in-laws that would do just that - "hey, he's got a gun and he'll.........."  - just because they are dumba#%'s.

i agree that concealed means out of sight, and unmentioned.  no one has to know i have it until i need it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My now wife..then girlfriend.  It only to took about a year to change her mind.  Now she has two handguns and a LTC.

As in your case, my wife was shy around guns, too.  Sept. 11th changed her mind.  She just got her CCW and I bought her a Bersa .380 which she loves to shoot.  However, yesterday at the range she had a chance to shoot our son's AR15. Well she didn't want to put it down.  I consider this a victory.  She doesn't carry on a daily basis, or leave the gun accessible in the house yet.  But we're getting there.  Somewhere I saw a purple AR15, her favorite color.  I'd like to get her one.

As regards friends/family thinking you're crazy, remember they've been *thoroughly* brainwashed and catechized for their whole lives, by every conceivable outlet.  They're good and faithful students doing and believing what they think is good and right.  Of course they're all wrong, but it isn't easy to change their minds.

Though I'd like to broadcast to everyone that I carry a gun, I won't do it.  Why?  Because I get tired or explaining and arguing with people.  Secondly, I don't want my house or car targeted for burglary by people thinking there are weapons there.

Society's gone wimpy, pacifist and feminist.  Manly men are not welcome, only girly men and nancy boys.  But that is turning around.  Sept. 11th helped.  The next one (sad day) will help this cause even more I hope.  By the way, they all thought Winston Churchill was crazy for a long time, until they found out he was right, and then they all wanted his help.  And when they were done with him, they shelved him again.  Typical fickle human beings we are.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
What they don't know may save them one day
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
i usually have friends and some  family that know i carry ask me "Why do you carry?" and i just simply tell them that i dont answer stupid questions. as far as if people think its crazy that i do, not really. they just ask alot of stupid questions and they react to as if calling 911 and having a response time of the police of five minutes will save them. some people are ignorate and they will never ever learn. but one day if they are one of the many unfortunate people who get attacked then they will understand. but by time they learned there lesson its already to late.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The vast majority of people will refuse to see the truth even when it is staring them right in the eyes. Ignore them, but "fly below the radar". There is no need for any of them to know or even suspect that you carry. Do not set yourself up for one of them to blurt out that "My buddy has a gun and he will bust a cap in yo azz!" or something equally as bad.

+1.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask them why the have auto or home owners insurance.  My father and mother and my wife and I have both had armed confrontations in our homes (different cities).  Without our guns our survival would have been in doubt.

We had a shooting at the Tacoma Mall several weeks ago (we live five blocks from the mall and shop there quite often).  No one that went shopping that day expected to be shot at but it happend none the less.  The mall shooting convinced 2 relatives to pack every time they go out. You never know when you will need it.  

My relatives never know that I'm packing and that's the way it should be, concealed.  If my gun isn't welcome, we do not go there. I could care less if someone thinks I'm paranoid because I carry.  Better paranoid that dead!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Better safe than sorry!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#23]
After I got my carry permit my parents jumped on the carry wagon and now both have theirs lol :P  They're totally cool with it.

I do know the sort of people you're talking about though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:01:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife is for it, she has hers, but she make some fun of me when I am in the kitchen cooking with my pistol on.  She wanted to know if the chicken was going to make a run at me.  It could happen.  But when we are coming out of Walmart @10:30 she sticks close to her old man here.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
My girlfriend is incredibly anti-gun.  She told me if I ever buy a handgun, she'd dump me.  I'm still hiding my USP-C from her, and I take it with me every time I leave the house and she's still there.

Funny how quickly she forgets the night she couldn't sleep until I loaded my AR15 and put it next to the bed after a "bump in the night".
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I get that a lot from family.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My girlfriend is incredibly anti-gun.  She told me if I ever buy a handgun, she'd dump me.  I'm still hiding my USP-C from her, and I take it with me every time I leave the house and she's still there.

Funny how quickly she forgets the night she couldn't sleep until I loaded my AR15 and put it next to the bed after a "bump in the night".

You remember what I suggested....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My wife is for it, she has hers, but she make some fun of me when I am in the kitchen cooking with my pistol on.  She wanted to know if the chicken was going to make a run at me.  It could happen.  But when we are coming out of Walmart @10:30 she sticks close to her old man here.  

Man, now that's funny right there.  That's a good woman you got sir!  

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#29]
yes i do, until something happens then its "aaron, you have a gun on you right??????" lol, its crazy until they feel unsafe! hahahahaha
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

May I ask how old she is?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course.  She's 20.  Shit has recently hit the fan anyhow, and I may be ending things in the next couple days depending on her actions.  She's less than stable at the moment, emotionally.  Girl has a bit of growing up to do, and I don't know if I can stick around while she does it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Most of my freinds and family think people are crazy who don't carry gunsss.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#33]
No, not really thinking im crazy but my parents were uncomfortable with me "carrying" but they have warmed up now and expect me to everytime i leave the house
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny how quickly she forgets the night she couldn't sleep until I loaded my AR15 and put it next to the bed after a "bump in the night". hr

Of course.  She's 20.  Shit has recently hit the fan anyhow, and I may be ending things in the next couple days depending on her actions.  She's less than stable at the moment, emotionally.  Girl has a bit of growing up to do, and I don't know if I can stick around while she does it.

i'd dump her right away.  My rights and my safety come before some idiot gun grabber's misguided  ideology.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/gunfacts.pdf
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'd dump her right away.  My rights and my safety come before some idiot gun grabber's misguided  ideology.

Agree. Better to cut sling load now than to wind up playing the "Yes, dear"game 20-years down the road. There are plenty of good women out there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree. Better to cut sling load now than to wind up playing the "Yes, dear"game 20-years down the road. There are plenty of good women out there.

The way she's acting now, we won't last much past New Years.  I can't imagine how she'd react the first time I undress around her after I get my CCW permit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#37]
After 10 years or so of carrying, and also due to some recent laws here, I have reached saturation:  No one bothers me about it anymore, not even strangers.

I have an apartment building that I have to work on from time to time, and I carry there, and I don't always keep my coat on so it is exposed at times, and i have even shown apartments with a gun on my hip.

My parents who were freakishly anti-gun "It'll go off by itself in your holster and kill us" types gradually came around after I took the time to show them the inner workings of handguns as well as my demonstrating responsibility in owning and carrying guns.

My wife does not blink an eye about it, she knows it is my hobby, and tries to get involved with it just to try and do stuff with me.  SHe wants a revolver and a shoulder holster for when she goes for walks around here.

Guns are more than a hobby here, and more than a lifestyle, they are kinda like cars, computers, and clothes.  

I feel awkward when I visit the states and see more funeral homes than gun stores, it is just strange to me.  

My formerly Anti-gun parents are now beginning to catch up with me in inventory.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Some of my family does think it's crazy and wierd.  Some don't.  My sister, I recently learned, wants her permit to carry when she turns 21.  I'm very happy for that.  I'm thinking of giving her my current carry gun.  She likes it, and I'm thinking of replacing it anyway.  I'm kinda excited to teach her to shoot defensively.  She's not a bad target shot.

A lot of people that I know do think it's strange.  My parents don't like it, but they accept it.  My brother thinks it's wierd, and makes fun of me for it.  Nobody else really knows.  My buddy that I'm with almost all the time carries.  My... significant other, yeah, that's what I'll call her, I think knows about it, but I haven't really gotten her point of view on it yet.  She hasn't said anything, really.  She enjoys shooting, and plans to be a cop, but I don't know how she feels about me carrying yet.  Just told her about a month ago that I have my permit.  We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ohhh man, don't even get me started on this sh*t!! Ask them why they wear a seat belt, "What...are you scared you'll get in a car wreck, or something?!?!" hat

But...usually I just don't even bother to try to explain myself...don't feel that I have to. You can tell right away just by the way they ask whether they are sincerely interested, or just trying to be snide about it. What's sad is that ,outside of 911 and a locked door, these people go about life everyday without the means to provide any protection whatsoever for their loved ones.    

I think this fits the bill rather nicely...
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsibly to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

The "Nuge " is a smart man..
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I told my current girlfriend right from the start that I own and collect guns.  I told her if she had a problem with it then she can't live with me.  Anyone that tells me I can't own a gun or that they're not safe with guns in MY house can leave.  I would tell her that you have a handgun then tell her that she can now decide to stay or leave because your not changing your mind. But do it in a polite way. Just my thoughts.  If she loves you she will get over it. If she doesn't then she will leave. It will save you many months of wasting your time with her. Remember with women they are more accepting in the beginning then want everything to change. So if your unhappy at first it's only going to get worse. On the other hand guys are usually more them self in the beginning and do not change or want to change over time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife (also a Brit) came round to the idea. We've been married for 15 years and I've had guns all of that time. After the first couple of months, she gave up trying to make me get rid of them. Now she takes comfort, and is more likely to tell close relatives than me... I tell no on, as its none of their business.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Wife hates guns and the fact that I carry. She is a walking talking living breathing oxymoron being a fellow veteran who shot expert with an M-14, M-16, M9 and M-11.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Agree. Better to cut sling load now than to wind up playing the "Yes, dear"game 20-years down the road. There are plenty of goodavailable women out there.

Lots of choices, not many really good choices. At least based on what I've come across.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sounds like she needs to be dumped. Or tell her: "OK. You want to deprive me of the best way I know to defend you from criminals. Next time something happens, I'm outta here and you'll get to deal with it. By the way, the criminal cut the phone line. Good Luck.".

I NEVER tell family about carrying, and only a couple people even know. A acquaintance, and my wife. That's it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife doesn't believe in concealed carry. She thinks everyone should use open carry!

While working 2nd shift she was followed home twice. We live on a dead-end (no jokes please) street of 5 houses.

She got her license and I got her a cell phone and a Colt.

911 if time permits, otherwise 1911.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like she needs to be dumped. Or tell her: "OK. You want to deprive me of the best way I know to defend you from criminals. Next time something happens, I'm outta here and you'll get to deal with it. By the way, the criminal cut the phone line. Good Luck.".

I NEVER tell family about carrying, and only a couple people even know. A acquaintance, and my wife. That's it.

Either dump her or put her in a Miniskirt and half shirt that says "I do not believe in self defense" and leave her downtown one night.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
[...] put her in a Miniskirt and half shirt that says "I do not believe in self defense" and leave her downtown one night.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#48]
For me, it is everyone I know that isn't a cop.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
When I first began carrying, my parents (nearing 80, and firmly believing the police would always be there to protect them if the need arose) thought I was crazy/paranoid for having a handgun on my person. Gradually however, they've come around to the notion that their son is ALWAYS armed.  And, usually with a back-up, too.

My ex-fiance too told me that I was paranoid for ALWAYS carrying a pistol, but strangely - she had no problems with me setting my Kimber on her coffee table while we sat on the couch in her suburban Detroit home. I remember one night, we were getting ready to hit the sack (the code 1 Kimber on the nightstand) and she said to me that her side of the bed was closest to the door, and that if anyone broke in that she would be the first to be assaulted. She asked me to trade sides of the bed with her, and I replied that my side of the bed provided a direct line of fire towards the door, and if I changed sides with her my line of fire would be impeded by a dresser. Needless to say - I won that arguement.

Another time - she and I were walking down a remote stretch of beach and encountered a group of five drunken/high men in their early 20's. As they started to eye her over, I unzipped my jacket enough to readily access the G23 from a shoulder holster. She looked at me and told me I was paranoid. We kept on walking without incident. But I thought to myself, " yea' right." Better to be aware of one's surrounding and be prepared to take action than to have a group of thugs gang rape your beloved.

Me paranoid? No, just cautious, careful, and aware of my surroundings....

I ALWAYS carry. But - make no issue or announcement of it. It's my own personal business.

.02 -
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#50]
No, they think I am crazy and they know I carry a gun but as far as they see it the gun is just a symptom of my lunacy, not crazy in of itself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top