Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2007 3:12:47 PM EDT
I should be getting a decent tax return soon.....and I'm thinking about expanding my gun collection to include a 1911.  I've been looking around at all of the 1911's in my price range (about $550) and the only two decent guns I've been able to find are the SA Mil-Spec 1911, and the Taurus 1911.  

I have shot the SA's before, and have heard nothing but great things about them. I have also read a few good reviews on the Taurus's, but they have all been by gun magazines.....no real world experiances.  

Here is my problem.....  On one hand, I can get a tried&true SA "bare bones" 1911.....but on the other had, I can get a Tauras with many more "custom" parts and features for pretty much the same price.......but I don't want to sacrifice dependabilty for features.  

For those of you have actually own one of the Taurus 1911's.......tell me what you think about them. Are you breaking parts, are they jamming?  Any problems? Would you buy one again?

Any info would be great....I need to make a decision very soon.

Thanks  :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
So what is sounds like is that for the money.....I'm better off getting a Taurus.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 1911s - a Colt Commander, an SA Champion, and a Taurus. I love my Taurus. It has given me ZERO problems, though the finish is a little thin and is already wearing a little, I have started carrying it over the Colt. I'm not saying the others are bad, but for the $$, I think a Taurus is a good choice. Plus you can extend your NRA membership a year for free if you buy a Taurus, and they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY ON EVERYTHING. My Colt doesn't. Neither does my SA. And my Taurus has seen more rounds without a cleaning than either of my other 2 1911s, and it's still runnin like a champ. But do be sure to give yours a good break-in, mine needed a hundred rounds or so before it felt right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be curious if anyone has over 2000 rounds through one yet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm probably around 1200 with mine. No problems yet!
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
That's good. I have heard that MIM parts break before the 2000 round mark if they are going to break at all. I haven't had any MIM problems with my Kimber so I don't know for sure....
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the internet breaks more MIM parts than the real world does. Every poster shoots 10000 rounds a year, doesn't handload, thinks gun games are gay, etc. I'm going to get a Taurus when I get back to the States.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also 99.98% happy with my PT1911B.  I had a couple of ejection failures in the first couple boxes of ammo.  A little more lube and some more shooting, and it now shoots perfectly.  I recommend it, highly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.........if you buy a Taurus, and they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY ON EVERYTHING. My Colt doesn't.

The only things Colt's lifetime warranty doesn't cover are cosmetic corrections (worn finish, etc) and grip replacement both of which are covered for one year. The Taurus warranty has nearly the exact same restrictions in their lifetime warranty, so your above statement is misleading. Your Colt DOES have almost the same warranty coverage as your Taurus.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/lifetime_agreement.asp

From the Taurus web site: "This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items."

http://www.taurususa.com/main/repair-policy.cfm
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
For the money you will be hard pressed to find any other 1911 with the features of a PT1911.  I own  a Kimber Pro Carry II and a PT1911.  The PT1911 is not up to Kimber standards but it's not off by much.  I am very happy with my PT1911. I can shoot 1.5" groups at 35' with the Taurus and the best I can do with the Pro Carry is 1.25" groups at the same distance with the same ammo.  My PT1911 came out of the box with a 4 1/4 lb trigger pull, measured with a RCBS gauge, slight creep, crisp break. I had to spend $160 to get the Kimber tirgger to 4 lb pull, no creep, glass rod break.  I looked at SA (gi and milspec), High Standard, Amscor, RIA, Charles Daily, and the PT1911 beats them all by a wide margin.

Link Posted: 2/2/2007 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For the money you will be hard pressed to find any other 1911 with the features of a PT1911.  I own  a Kimber Pro Carry II and a PT1911.  The PT1911 is not up to Kimber standards but it's not off by much.  I am very happy with my PT1911. I can shoot 1.5" groups at 35' with the Taurus and the best I can do with the Pro Carry is 1.25" groups at the same distance with the same ammo.  My PT1911 came out of the box with a 4 1/4 lb trigger pull, measured with a RCBS gauge, slight creep, crisp break. I had to spend $160 to get the Kimber tirgger to 4 lb pull, no creep, glass rod break.  I looked at SA (gi and milspec), High Standard, Amscor, RIA, Charles Daily, and the PT1911 beats them all by a wide margin.

How do you do that off a rest ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the best deal you guys have seen on these Tauras 1911's?  I local dealer said he can get me one for $500....is that good?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What's the best deal you guys have seen on these Tauras 1911's?  I local dealer said he can get me one for $500....is that good?  

thats how much i got mine for....

when they 1st hit, and still sometimes, they could be had for $425 OTD....h/w, the avg price i have seen em for is close to $500, even on-line

i'd go ahead and get the one your dealer has for $500, considering that if you dont get it, someone else might....
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked mine up for $500 also. Seems like a great price for a nice 1911. I've only shot 150 rounds through mine but it has been very acurate and very reliable. No hangups of any sort so far. I am very pleased with this gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you do that off a rest ?

No that's two handed modified weaver stance.  Understand that this is the very best I can do, once in a blue moon type event.  My usual groups run about 3-4 in at 35 ft. At 58, my eyes aren't that good anymore.  My arms aren't as steady as they were 10 years ago.  The joys of getting to be a Senior!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Again, more information from Shot Show; no Commander-style series, most likely no 9mm or 38 super.  

My info, for what its worth, came from an officer from our PD who took vacation to attend.  Thats what he was told at the Taurus booth.  Of course, thats also where he heard tha the SS would be available by March.

I wish Taurus would have a link on the Industry page like the other manufacturers.  If they were as responsive as Steve is for RRA, I think they could really clear up some of the negative press they currently suffer.  Well, that and previous quality control issues.

Link Posted: 2/8/2007 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
They are definitely going up in price.  I stopped by one of the shops on the way home today, and this shop isn't the type to raise prices just because they know someone wants something.  They have always been very reasonable and courteous to boot.  When I bought mine there it was $449, then they went up to $479, then $499.  The one in the case was marked $529 today.  This is a shop that sells their Glocks for $489 every day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Here's the thing, I already got one.  Therefore, I won't need another until the compact hits the shelves.

There's talks of a compact?  When's that supposed to hit the market?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Well.....I think I've decided on getting the Taurus.  Does anyone know what standard 1911 parts will and will not interchange on them?   What parts on that gun are specials just for that gun?

Any info would be great!

thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I talked to Heinie this morning.  Actually, I talked to the gal who answered the phone at his shop.  Anyway, she told me that they'll have a replacement set of tritium sights on the market in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I have just over 3000 rounds thru my Taurus 1911, I love this gun, for the money, I have yet to see a better unit. that being said, there is one thing I wish they had done differntly, the series 80 type firing pin safety, I do not like them and that is personal, I have had no failures, and to test it, I took it out of the box, thoroughly cleaned it, added a set of Hogue wraparounds and a Wilson mag chute, I shot 50 rounds to get the feel and sight it in and then shot the IDPA state match with it, I got 5th in the state in my division, with no failures from that day to this. In my opinion, the next best out there is the Armscor for the money but the Taurus is by far the best for the money.
Just my .02. From what I understand everything but sights will "fit" but I have found no reason to change a thing, just add the grips and the chute.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I talked to Heinie this morning.  Actually, I talked to the gal who answered the phone at his shop.  Anyway, she told me that they'll have a replacement set of tritium sights on the market in a couple weeks.

Sara rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top