Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 8:09:03 PM EDT
Have you bobtailed your own 1911 or have you had a gunsmith do it?  I'd love to see some pictures of aftermarket bobtail jobs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Have you bobtailed your own 1911 or have you had a gunsmith do it?  I'd love to see some pictures of aftermarket bobtail jobs.

I have not. I do not care for the look and I have no problem concealing a standard 1911 so there isn't any practical need for it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not. I do not care for the look and I have no problem concealing a standard 1911 so there isn't any practical need for it.

The look doesn't bother me at all.  It feels great in my hand.  And the slightly added benefit of slightly better concealment can't hurt.  So for me it's a win if I do it at a reasonable price.

I'm curious to see how people's bobtail jobs have come out, whether they did it themselve or by professionals.  I've seen quite a few posts with pictures on other forums but am surprised not many here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is quite relevant to my interests, as I'm very much so leaning in the direction of a bobtail for my Commander.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked this question a few weeks ago and got a few replies , hope this helps

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=105406
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't dump a lot of money into your American classic commander.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't dump a lot of money into your American classic commander.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't see what bobtailing has anything to do with what brand of 1911.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
i am just trying to give some friendly advice.  

I know you started a few threads about different pistols and decided on the american classic as your 1st 1911.

you are free to do what you want as it is your pistol and your money, but the downside is the money you drop to customize it will never be recovered if you decide to sell it.

i would use it first by putting a decent amount of rounds down range and carry it around a bit before deciding you should get it bobtailed.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know you started a few threads about different pistols and decided on the american classic as your 1st 1911.

you are free to do what you want as it is your pistol and your money, but the downside is the money you drop to customize it will never be recovered if you decide to sell it.

i would use it first by putting a decent amount of rounds down range and carry it around a bit before deciding you should get it bobtailed.

I hear ya man.  And I certainly plan to get some range time in with my pistol before customizing it, but by no means would I be doing it for re-sale value.  I've never sold a single gun I've ever owned and g-d willing I never have to.  I've seen gunsmiths advertise bobtail jobs for as little as $100, so I don't see that as any great investment.  All that aside, I've already handled a couple of bobtailed 1911s and know that I like the way it feels, draws, and conceals (ever so slightly) better.  It's not like I'm just wanting to bobtail it b/c I think it's cool.  I plan to start carrying it just as soon as I feel it's 'broken in' enough.

But the way you said it made it sound like you were saying 'Don't waste your money customizing that cheapo pistol'
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya man.  And I certainly plan to get some range time in with my pistol before customizing it, but by no means would I be doing it for re-sale value.  I've never sold a single gun I've ever owned and g-d willing I never have to.  I've seen gunsmiths advertise bobtail jobs for as little as $100, so I don't see that as any great investment.  All that aside, I've already handled a couple of bobtailed 1911s and know that I like the way it feels, draws, and conceals (ever so slightly) better.  It's not like I'm just wanting to bobtail it b/c I think it's cool.  I plan to start carrying it just as soon as I feel it's 'broken in' enough.

But the way you said it made it sound like you were saying 'Don't waste your money customizing that cheapo pistol'
Where is local to you?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a bobtailed commander.  It's my daily carry 90% of the time.  I used to carry full sized 1911 with no trouble, but when my income moved into a higher bracket I decided to treat myself to a custom built hand gun.

I lived in Seattle at the time and I had it built from a new commander by a guy named Dave Helton in Federal Way, Washington about 4 years ago.  I believe he's currently the proprietor of DV Small Arms.  Great work, 100% reliable.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I suspect bobtailing may be the next gunsmithing skill I learn.  Anybody know if those Ed Brown bobtails that come with mainsprings work in full-size guns?  I'd think the spring strength might be off given that the bottom 1/4-1/3 is gone...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have. It's not hard, but once the fist hole is drilled you're committed.

I love how my bobtailed 4" Kimber feels, and it carries comfortable.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Care to post up a little of how you did it or steps?  That would be awesome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Care to post up a little of how you did it or steps?  That would be awesome.

Thanks

I did a partial write-up in the blog in my sig-line.
Don't think the finishing steps are there yet, but the drilling and cutting is there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top