Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 9:04:10 PM EDT
I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a Springfield Mil-spec.

I'd like to replace all the MIM parts with tool steel, and obviously the colors will not match.  I bought a can of gun-kote from brownells, and was wondering if anyone had any pictures of firearms they had finished in gunkote.  Also, is it safe to apply right over the parkerizing?  When refinishing something like a slide, do you remove the sights or just mask them?

Thanks for the help,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
yes.  it is great over park.

it depends on the sigths.  if they are bare irons, gun kote over them.  if they have dots, or inserts, or whatever, i would take them out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I went here for my Bushmaster lower, my P226 and mags, and my steel SA80/AR mags:  www.shootiniron.com

Mac has improved his GunKote process to apply it over parkerizing (Tuff-Gun I) and adds something else on top of the GunKote for Tuff-Gun II.  He does very good work.

Here's my P226.  It was ten years old with wear that the muzzle and the slide started to rust while I was travelling for a few months.  Cleaned it right up.

Here's a British steel mag:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top