Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:31:26 AM EDT
Im looking into getting a Sig p220 or p226. ive handled the 220 and really like it.  Ive read a bunch about them and its been pretty much they are a very solid reliable handgun. I was sold on it, But then i came across this:

problem #1
problem #2

It seems these problems are with the newer models, has anyone else had any experiences like that. Or anyone have general comments about the situation

THanks
PJ
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig's motto is "To hell and back reliability."  (Now, anyone with a mosquito .22lr will laugh at that, but I digress)

Chances that you will get a Sig P220 and be unsatisfied with either the durability or accuracy of the pistol are astromonically small.  Sig makes hundreds of thousands of pistols, and sometimes shit happens, but they are very much in the minority when it comes to guns breaking.   Sigs don't use plastic or MIM parts for wear items, they use cold hammer forged barrels, they are designed to go to war and come back in one (working) piece.  Buy with confidence.  

PS In the instance where Sig has sent out a bumfucked gun (Early GSR's and Mosquitos), they have been very accomodating about either fixing or replacing the weapon with one that works the way it should.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
PJ,
I am currently on my 3rd Sig pistol.  I have a P226 9mm, and a P220 .45ACP, my other was sold to fund the suppressor(sad to see a Sig go but already had a .40 and the can is soooo sweet on the Sig P226 and there was no other source for the funds hrough
When I bought the P226 I was told it was laser beam accurate and it still is 8K later(heck might not even be totally broken in), and I can say the same about my P220, both guns have more accuracy than I can pull out of them.

Like Drew said they were designed to go to war and come back in total working order.  I have seen that proven, while Glocks have cracked frames and other damage, even HK's die but you see the Sig's come home.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to ever purchase another Sig, well maybe a Mosquito here
Go on buy a Sig, I guarantee you won't regret it.  If you have any questions please feel free to IM me.  

On the problem posts.......When  you are dealing with LEO Armories and military they put thousands and thousands of rounds through thier sidearms annually that must also be considered.  Some of the guys I work with fired thousands a month, and now around 1K on a good month.  They put some wear and tear on their guns, now they see very little issues arise versus the recurring issues while in active duty.  

I don't know just my .02

matt
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
All gun manufactors have problems.

Glock has had many problems, just a few months ago had a problem with their Glock 21s. I don't remember the exact problems, just it was causing a lot of fail to fires (around 40%). Glock fixed the problem everyone is happy. And Glock keeps their reputation of being very realiable.

As a private citizen, if you have a problem with a gun, you send it off, they fix it, test it and return it. When a police department has a problem that effects their guns, it's a different issue. First of all, you can't just send all of your guns off to be fixed.  The officers need to carry something. So usually the company rushes out a representive to try and figure out the problem on the spot. They determine if the problem get be fixed by simply replacing parts or if the pistols need to be replaced.

They also need to figure out whether or not department armorers were doing anything funky to the guns.

My point is, it's a much longer process made more complicated due to possible political issues. And the people working with the gun company might be an administrator who might know nothing of guns.

Sig makes very good weapons and they stand behind them. If there is a problem, they fix it. Get a Sig and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've just recently became an owner of 2 Sigs, a P228 and a Pro 2022 and both are fantastic functioning guns.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Im looking into getting a Sig p220 or p226. ive handled the 220 and really like it.  Ive read a bunch about them and its been pretty much they are a very solid reliable handgun. I was sold on it, But then i came across this:

problem #1
problem #2

It seems these problems are with the newer models, has anyone else had any experiences like that. Or anyone have general comments about the situation

THanks
PJ

These are isolated problems and I see some exaduration in the above links like how he stated the take down lever hole in the frame was worn to twice the original diamiter!!! That could not happen and it probibly totally false. I'm very skeptical of this happening the way it did. He used Sigs for 17 years and now all of the sudden SIG's are falling apart.....BS!

SIG is a top rated firearm. Have no fear and get the 220. Mine has been 100% for years and thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]

I picked up a NIB P220R back in January.

I have over 1,000 rds. through her so far with ZERO malfunctions. It's been accurate as all hell, and goes bang every time.

Buy a P220 with confidence and then post a range report.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top