Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:54:43 AM EDT
Currently I'm shooting IPSC/USPSA Production using a Beretta 92FS.  I would like to pick up another pistol so that I can shoot Limited 10.  I was considering buying a Browning HP in .40 S&W so that i can make Major PF but I really don't like the idea of .40 in the Hi-Power.  It didn't point as nice as the 9mm version.  I'm now considering a CZ-75 SA (single action) in .40.  I'm looking for something affordable that points well and is accurate.  Does anyone have any experience with the 75 SA?  Also, where is a good source to get factory CZ .40 mags?  What kind of aftermarket options are there for the CZ, such as extended mag release and what not?  Who does good custom work on CZ's?

I still plan to buy a Hi-power someday but I would rather have it in 9mm instead and use it as a general purpose pistol.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my .40 BHP.

Sure, I can SEE the difference in external dimensions, but honestly, I can switch between .40 and 9mm BHP's between magazines and barely tell which is which while shooting.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The CZ is an excellent pistol and I think it would be a good choice for you given your stated requirements, if you have ruled out other handguns such as the Glock, etc.

Check out the CZ Forums for more info...

p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792

I'm not a Glock hater by any means but I've found they just don't point very well for my intended purposes.  I find the CZ, EAA, Hi-Power and such point much more naturally and feel like a natural extension of my arms.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
CZs are great pistols. The only thing I have realy changed on mine are some springs. They shoot as good as my more expensive pistols and my 97B has been more accurate than my other .45s. If I listed a gripe about CZs it would be that I have never seen one in stainless steel and the springs could be a little better. I would love a 97B in stainless.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
my CZ75 is the SA/DA model, though I only ever use it SA.....  there are parts available, aftermarket and the like.. as for mags, I cannot help you, I only have factory mags that are bastardized

good pistol, though I woudl rather i coudl get it in a real caliber, 9mm is fine for now
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a .40S&W CZ75/SA.  I got one when they first came out.  Very nice, very accurate.  I still have the polymer trigger, although many guys have broken them.

CZUSA will send a steel replacement if it breaks.  May even send you one before it breaks, I am not sure.

The adjustment for over-travel is worthless, to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a .40S&W CZ75/SA.  I got one when they first came out.  Very nice, very accurate.  I still have the polymer trigger, although many guys have broken them.

CZUSA will send a steel replacement if it breaks.  May even send you one before it breaks, I am not sure.

The adjustment for over-travel is worthless, to me.

Worthless because it doesn't work or worthless because you have no use for it?  I've heard that the CZ steel trigger is adjustable for overtravel and take-up/reset.  Ghost Holsters sells a few custom parts for CZ's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It didn't work.   It has an adjustment for takeup and overtravel.... wouldn't reset if IIRC. -it has been a couple of years since I played with it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
A cz-75 or Hi power is a 9mm  pumped up for .40. Il you want to shoot limited 10 go with a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a CZ 75 SA.  It is very accurate.  The trigger has alot of creep though.  It moves a little bit and then feels like it is at the point where it will break but if you very gradually apply more pressure it will move a significant amount before the trigger breaks releasing the hammer.  If I shoot it slow to adjust for this I can pretty much make a small ragged hole where the bullseye was.  If I shoot at a more normal speed the trigger creep keeps me a little less accurate.  I'm on a waiting list to send it to a guy who does alot of CZ work and supposedly can make the trigger feel as crisp as a well tuned 1911 in which case I think this will be one of my favorite pistols.  I sold a P226 to buy it and don't regret it.  The P226 was a GREAT gun but I like single actions more and I am already better accuracy wise with this gun after taking it to the range only once which is surprising because I always considered my P226 to be a tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a SA in 9mm. I just started using it in IDPA. Only downside is the slide stop lever is impossible to reach with my right thumb. Not an issue for an IPSC shooter though since you guys never shoot to slide lock. For the money though it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A cz-75 or Hi power is a 9mm  pumped up for .40. Il you want to shoot limited 10 go with a 1911.

So what is your point?  Are you saying that limited 10 should only be reserved for single stack 1911 guys?  I've fired many 1911's and although they feel nice in my hand they don't feel as nice or point as natural as the above mentioned pistols.  For me .40 is easier to shoot and less money to reload.  Plus I could buy hi-cap mags for the CZ and shoot it as a Limited gun if I wanted.  Good luck doing that with a single stack 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top