Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 12:22:44 PM EDT
Just got my first 1911 the other day, and took it to the range yesterday.

On the plusses, I love the trigger, and I was shooting some pretty nice groups. The night sights are awesome too (my first gun with those). I'm hoping to start carrying this gun eventually, once I get myself trained up on it.

On the minuses, reliability could have been better. I bought it used, but I didn't ask the round count, so it may still be breaking in. I got a few FTFs, where the next round didn't go all the way into the chamber. Cleared by removing the mag, pulling the slide all the way back, and letting it fall on the round. Several of the times, I noticed that the mouth of the brass was chewed up a little, as if it was catching on something. I also got a couple of failures to extract, cleared by dropping the slide on it again and racking it. All of these jams were with CCI Blazer ammo. I shot 50 rounds of American Eagle first, and didn't have any problems. Then, I shot 150 rounds of the CCI, and had the jams. I'm hoping this will clear up with different ammo and more shooting. Used Wilson mags the whole time, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had several 1911's that were tempermental w/ aluminum cased Blazer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick with the American Eagle 230gr. FMJ
I get mine from Natchez and it comes out to about $200 for a case of 1000 delivered to Florida.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
This was the brass cased stuff, though. In fact, brass is the biggest word printed on the box. The range I was at only allows brass cases - they wouldn't let me shoot a box of Wolf 9mm I bought (Luckily, most of my 9mm was regular UMC).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Very nice looking kimber there!

+1 on something else besides cci blazers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top