Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 7:32:43 AM EDT
...since they have changed the grips to include finger grooves?

I went snooping around a local shop that has quite a large selection of handguns. I was thinking about a .40. No harm in looking around, right? I wanted to specifically handle (though was not able to shoot) the midsize Glock and Springfield XD.

Now I think that the XD is one ugly gun. But in holding it, it felt very good... somehow familiar. While the Glock felt just completely uncomfortable. I never had that feeling with the old style - pre finger groove - grips.

Does anyone else share this feeling of the new Glocks? And it is not just the finger grooves in case that is what someone is thinking. I actually have finger groove insert on one of my kimbers and love it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a Glock 23 for a few years.  Grip was OK, hated the trigger pull.

Traded it for an SA 1911-A1.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
yes, bad trigger.  so bad in fact i will take a 7 shot kimber over a 13 shot mod 21 any day.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an early version 19 which, even without those annoying finger grooves, feels like a 2x4.

The grip configuration is definitely the weak point of Glock ergonomics. They should have added some plastic and rounded the front a bit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the feel of a Glock.  It's always going to be a "feel" thing with every shooter.
In fact, I'm one of those crazy folks who actually like the Glock trigger (I have to shoot a little while to get re-familiarized).
I can shoot my G-21 as well as any gun I own and it has a factory trigger (5 lb I assume)
I like the consistantcy of the Glock trigger.
It's one of my most accurate handguns.
VF
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
No I wish they felt like my Hi Power felt in my hand.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No I wish they felt like my Hi Power felt in my hand.

Nothing feels like a Hi-Power.

I never cared for the feel of the Glocks, finger grooves or not.  The square edges of the front strap annoy me the most.  Most people that have grip mods done remove the hump on the backstrap.  Thats actually something I like.  It makes it point a little bit high for me, which is better than pointing low when it comes to indexing sights on target quickly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Does anyone else share this feeling of the new Glocks?

Markbo,
Actually, I like the finger grooves as they match up with my grip.  However, I am too cheap to buy one so I will stick with my first generation, non-groovy Model 23.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Nope, you're far from the only one.  I have gotten rid of all my finger grooved Glocks and am strictly a 2nd-gen guy now.   I still have a Glock 30 in the safe but I am really fed up with its feel, and will probably attempt a grip reduction myself.

But even the 2nd gen grip has problems.  The trigger guard is positioned too low in relation to my trigger finger, so I have to twist my finger at an uncomfortable angle to press the trigger.  Either that, or use my knuckle joint to do it.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have the problem with the finger grooves as much as I do with the grip angle. I shoot 1911 and 2011's in competition and can't get use to having to tilt the gun forward to see the sights. I owned a 22 in the past, but sold it. I didn't want to try and remember which gun I had in an emergency.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Its entirely subjective, I'm a 1911/BHP kinda guy... 1911s seem to be made to fit my hands

Jonathan
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#12]
No really a Glock fan myself.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot several models of Glocks and none of them felt entirely comfortable in my hand (as well as the fact that they're UGLY handguns-reliablilty and accuracy aside). I've got a SA 1911A1 with the Gov't. style walnut grips that looks and feels great, and a HiPower with the Hogue finger groove grips that feels fantastic. You are not alone in this observation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
After screwing up their grips that were fine and then supporting that stupid national registration thingy from 60 minutes (complete brain fart, cant remember what it's called), I don't just not like the feel, I don't like the company.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Always been a 1911 guy, thought Glocks felt funny, didn't like the trigger and all that. Bought a used 23 from a co-worker about a year ago and strangely enough I get along with it, it's now my primary CCW piece. Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a model 23, and I don't care for the grip. Not just the finger grooves but the whole angle. I am a big 1911 fan, but my favorite carry gun is a Sig 228.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm with you. Tried a friend's 1st-gen G21 and fell in love with it. Found a great deal on one on GunsAmerica but with the finger grooves. Bought it, tried it, couldn't shoot nearly as well... but my friend shot *better* with it. Took me all of 10 minutes to talk him into doing a straight swap.

I'm looking at a G36 for CCW but haven't been able to shoot one yet. Just handling it, the grooves didn't seem that bad but we'll see what happens at the range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't like any of the Glock grips, as they eat my hands. I much prefer the Walther P99 and the new XD pistols seem to fit better too...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't like the feel of Glocks period.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't like the grip angle, finger grooves or trigger.  But there is nothing I shoot better, and it is a reliable and compact package.

"Feel" is overated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my G26 except its too thick. Wish they made it more slimlined. t took awhile to get used to the trigger, but after a few hundred rounds it feels natural.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Glocks feel kinda funky to me, too.
And not to steal the thread or anything, but..anyone here ever "made him/herself" like the feel of the Glock? I'm trying to adapt to them to be able to have the benefits of the good reliability, low bore, good accuracy, etc. Or should I just go with something that feels comfortable, like a SIG or Browning Hi-Power?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I just love my Glocks.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#24]
... Love - Hate

... Of the dozen or so quality handguns I own, my Glock 27 is the one stuffed in my front pocket most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I have no use for finger gripped glocks. I love finger grips but Glock decided to mold thiers for people with small fingers. Mine won't even fit between the spacing allowed and they end up stacking up on the hills instead of the valleys.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
"Am I the only one who doesn't like the feel of a Glock?"

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I have owned many Glocks over the years and I have not liked the way any of them have felt in my hands.

I purchased my first Glock after my brother let me shoot his. I didn’t buy any of my Glocks because they fit well in my hands or felt comfortable in my hands. I purchased them because they are very reliable and for some unknown reason they seem to point perfectly for me and I can hit almost anything I aim at with them.

I don’t understand why Glocks  are so shoot-able when they are not a comfortable fit but they are for me and for many other shooters and since results are more important to me than comfort I have grown to love Glocks in spite of their shortcomings in ergonomics
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a G19 (it didn't point right [a little high] and the grip bit my pinky finger in recoil but the trigger was nice and the gun was 3 inch accurate at 25yds. (OFFHAND STANDING)

For $400 I don't need the gun to feel right if it shoots right
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Shooting a Glock with figer grooves causes arthritic like pain in the 2nd knuckle of my middle finger. Of my several glocks, only the 26 has finger grooves, and I will never buy a new one with the grooves.  Some people on Glock Talk have resorted to grinding or filing the finger grooves off, them putting on a slip on rubber grip sleeve (or old inner tube).
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Does anyone else share this feeling of the new Glocks?

I have a Gen2 G19 that I love, though my XD-40 fits my hand a whole lot better. Can't stand the Gen3 grips though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Bear, its to know what you like when you see it[them]. Nice collection.
I cannot teach myself to not shoot the ceiling when shooting a glock.
A 1911 goes off, then I look at my sights - Yep, good shot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't like the way Glocks feel all plasticky.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You are not alone.
I don't like the feel of any Glock, feels like they are
pointing uphill to me.

I'll take a BHP or 1911 anyday.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm with 9supercomp exactly!
It's the grip angle not the grooves that irks me. I sold a Ruger MKII competiton for the same reason. I thought if I just shot it enough I could make the adjustment and it would become natural after a while,NOT!
Therefore I will NEVER buy a glock pistol with a unnatural grip angle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I picked up my first Glock 19 NIB-Gen3 a couple of months ago.  My first trip to the range didn't go well.  My shots were all over the place, and it didn't feel comfortable in my hand.  I decided to stick it out and try it again.  I am glad I did.  After doing some dry fire practice, I was able to shoot it better then any other 9mm I had.  I also find it comfortable now and ended up getting another new 19 last week to replace my wife's P99.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#36]
If Glocks work for you, then more power to you...

As for me, I find the grip angle awkward, the shape of the grip itself uncomfortable, looking down the sights reminds me looking down an ironing board, and I cannot stand the mushy trigger pull. That "Sproink!" of the trigger pull just ain't for me...

So I settled for the BEST...I use ony SIG-Sauers!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have no use for finger gripped glocks. I love finger grips but Glock decided to mold thiers for people with small fingers. Mine won't even fit between the spacing allowed and they end up stacking up on the hills instead of the valleys.

Yea, I've heard you need a diet. Might be something to think about.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope, I don't like em either.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
The real trick to the Glock is learning to use a proper high hand grip. Plus, if you are using the crush grip technique comfort isn't really an issue.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't really like the feel of Glocks either.  Try getting your hands on a Walther P99.  Feels perfect for me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't really like the feel of Glocks either.  Try getting your hands on a Walther P99.  Feels perfect for me.

Bingo! One of the better 'feeling' guns I have handled. I even got one of the P22's and it is a fun little gun, though the trigger suh-hucks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm no fan of the Glock grip. It always feels to me like they made it backwards. It rounded were it should be flat and flat where it should be rounded.  Hmmm....
I have a Austrian polymer pistol that's a joy to shoot and fits my hand like it grew there.... and I also have a Glock. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/cas6969/misc//Austria.jpg
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#44]
i ended up with a glock 29 from a trade a while back. i figured there must be something to these pistols, since they are so popular. i have never been so happy to get rid of something, since my first wife left...lol!
i couldnt stand that gun. the grip, the trigger, there wasnt anything about it i liked.
from now on, i will stick to the 1911 platform!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I shot my friends glock 20 the other day.  I have picked up many glocks over the years and put them down in disgust as they didn't fit my hand at all (which is odd because I'm pretty average sized at 5'10").  The glock 20 was the first glock I actually shot and even though it felt like a boat oar in my hands, I sure could shoot that thing!!  I was drilling whatever I pointed it at, it was crazy.

Neat gun, but I'll stick with my USP Tactical.  The same day I drilled a beer bottle at about 50 yards with my tactical which made me happy...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I've stuck with gen2 glocks up until recently when I took a 34 in trade.  I had avoided them because the molded in finger grooves are obviously only going to fit certain people - I didn't count on them fitting me.  

While I haven't shot the 34 yet, the grooves feel like they might actually work for me.  A trip to the range will tell for sure, but I am optimistic.  The rail is a good addition, even though I have nothing to put on it yet I like that option.

As far as the trigger goes, yeah, they suck and take some getting used to.  However, there are ways to reduce the mushy pre-travel and you can improve the stock trigger a LOT.  I have a modified G17 that has only enough pretravel to reset the trigger and it feels 10 times better than the stock trigger.

The grip angle is different, but is only an issue for me when switching between the 1911 and the Glock.  By the time I look at the sights I automatically re-adjust.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock should have modelled the Gen 3 Glock's after the Sigma grips.  My Sigmas feel like a dream in my hand compared to my Glocks.

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top