Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:39:28 PM EDT
First, this thread is not for me or anyone else to flame anything else...I'm just curious. One of my biggest problems with handgun selection is first and foremost I'm left handed which limits my options very drastically with what feels natural to use and operate. A few years ago, I bought my first real gun which was my P89. I bought it without any real experience in guns and loved it. Over the few years that I've owned it, I've had at least 3000 rounds or so through it without one single malfunction. Due to the fact that it is a handgun, I do not need some sort of match grade accuracy but one thing that I do need is for it to go bang every single last time I pull the trigger. I've looked at it several times and thought, "You're not that popular so maybe I'll just trade you for a glock or a springfield XD since that's what everyone else carries. I could get some nicer holsters and some better accessories and stuff." The more I think about it, the more I constantly persuade myself to keep my Ruger. Out of everything that I've every read about Ruger P series from anyone, I've never heard one person say that it jams, it is unreliable, or the barrel exploded or something. The worst I've ever heard about it is that some don't like its looks and some think it's too heavy. I am not saying that I don't like glock but I have heard of people having problems with their glocks, and the same goes for XD's and 1911's. All handguns that I like and think are really nice. My brother had a 1911 and he had issues with certain ammo not feeding correctly, and he also has an XD and had a similar issue.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone else revere their Ruger auto the same as I do as a primary sidearm? I can't be the only one out there that looks at Rugers reliablilty and says, "I am willing to give up the glitz and glamour of owning a more mainstream handgun for something that I am 100% comfortable with."

When you read this, just remember, I hold nothing against other handgun's or manufacturers and still like those weapons. This is all just preference and opinion and I was just curious if others had this same mind frame. I look forward to your posts and your opinions!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 8:52:50 PM EDT by THellURider]
Yes.

Hey... if it works for you... don't mess with it. Glad you found one you can depend on. It takes some people A LOT of time and money to find that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:02:16 PM EDT
My Brother had a P95DC, and fell into Glock madness a few years back. A buddy of mine has a P89. Both are pretty big guys, and had no trouble concealing the guns, or shooting them accurately.
I like 'em myself. I've just never really considered one for purchase because they dont feel right in my hand.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:27:23 PM EDT
Fraid so!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:30:21 PM EDT
My first handgun was a Ruger P89DC. I still love it, although I love about five or six other autos I own more. I do keep it in my Jeep with 4 15 round mags full of Hydra Shocks, just because I know it is indestructable and will always fire when I need it to.

Best $200.00 bucks I ever spent!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 11:40:31 PM EDT by stangleonthedangle]
If Massad Ayoob approves of the Ruger line of firearms it's good enough for me.

"I remember this, and I flash forward to yesterday, at one of the regularly scheduled qualifications for my police department. I shot a gun the agency has already approved as optional and is thinking of adopting for standard issue, the Ruger P97 that I’ve written about in this column before. This .45 automatic recently put 60 bullets into less than 3.5 inches during a timed FBI-style shooting qualification. I am authorized to carry whatever pistol I want, including my custom $3500 “LFI Special” Colt .45 automatic. Instead, right now, I carry this $460 Ruger. The qualification also encompassed the .223 rifle. I didn’t shoot that with the $2,000 custom CAR-15 from Olympic Arms that I’m authorized to carry; I shot it with our department issue Ruger Mini-14 .223 that would cost you only a few hundred bucks. Price one at Wal-Mart or K-Mart and you’ll see, though I’d rather you spent a couple bucks more and bought it from a gun dealer who supports your Second Amendment rights, which is why I buy my guns at gunshops instead of Monster Marts. But, I digress."

"Simple can be as good as fancy, and is sometimes better. Inexpensive can be as good as expensive, and sometimes is better. “Reliability” is more important than “esoteric” in the final balance. Something cheap, now when you need it, beats hell out of something costly that you have to save up for, to buy later, when it may be too late. “Something is generally better than nothing."

Cheap Guns
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:06:44 AM EDT
Yep! I love my Rugers.

First purchase was a P89.
Second was a P90.

And just bought a P93DAO for carry.

all three combined cost me less than $1000!

Dependable, reliabe, built like tanks.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:13:11 PM EDT
In regards to my posts above. I definately love my Ruger P89DC and would stake my life on it in any situation but I don't love it above other brands. I love my Springfields more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:19 PM EDT
I had a P89DC when I went to the police academy and shot very well with it...........sadly, i sold it in a fit for another pistol, and wish I had it back.............still looking for one
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:59:45 PM EDT
Cyclone...why don't you just get a regular P89 with a manual safety. You can just leave the safety off with it decocked and it will act the same way. I hope everyone understands what I mean by my post. My biggest reason for how much I like Ruger autos is the fact that I have seen a catistrophic failure on so many handguns but I have never seen one on a Ruger P series. Anyhow, my next handgun purchase will either be a Ruger P95 with the rail or...maybe a Sig p226, it depends on how comfortable it is for me though, especially for the one handed reload due to where the slide release is located.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:37:18 AM EDT
Do the polymer frames more durrable then the aloy frames? I noticed that the rails on the polymer guns are not steel like a Glock's. Will they last as long?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:06:56 AM EDT
I firts shot a P85 and loved it. It always went bang and I outshot my sheriff friends at the rang. one of whom said he liked the way my ruger shot. he would get one if they wern't so big. he layed down his S&W and it was the same size except for the slide release. i/8 inch wide at one point. wow that must make it hard to conceal. what makes it ugly is the safety on the slide, insead of the frame. I think they look great.
I have been carring my KP95DC for 10 years. the plastc is so strong it does not need metal rails. that is a weak point on many plastic frames the metal pulls away from the frame. heat expantion and flex differentials. may take 40 years but it will happen. I know glocks and XD shoot well but if I was given one I would have it in my safe till I could get it sold and buy another ruger.

I have a P89 and KP95DC would like to add a KP89DC or KP95DPR

Ted Blocker makes great leather as does Galco. uncle mikes has kydex and nylon.

great gun, good holster, and belt(or shoulder rig), factory HP ammo. done deal no upgrades or excessories needed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:14:12 AM EDT
Ruger would be my brand of choice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:50:48 PM EDT
One of the few guns I own that has never had a failure- whether it's the gun, magazine, bad shooting posture/weak grip, etc.- is my P89.
It's nice to have a gun that you don't have to make excuses for.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stangleonthedangle:
In regards to my posts above. I definately love my Ruger P89DC and would stake my life on it in any situation but I don't love it above other brands. I love my Springfields more.

i feel the same way about my p95d and it was also my first gun. but my cz75 is so much nicer and it cost me the same--got it for steal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:28:11 PM EDT
I am probably gonna go with either a P95 PR15 9mm or maybe for a .45 ACP the P345PR or P90............not sure which I want, and I might wind up with both a .45 and 9mm......in the ARFCOM "get both" fashion. The guy I sold my P89 to still has it, but wont sell it back to me for anything.

Originally Posted By russbunny:
Cyclone...why don't you just get a regular P89 with a manual safety. You can just leave the safety off with it decocked and it will act the same way. I hope everyone understands what I mean by my post. My biggest reason for how much I like Ruger autos is the fact that I have seen a catistrophic failure on so many handguns but I have never seen one on a Ruger P series. Anyhow, my next handgun purchase will either be a Ruger P95 with the rail or...maybe a Sig p226, it depends on how comfortable it is for me though, especially for the one handed reload due to where the slide release is located.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:01:41 PM EDT
I think my next handgun will be the p95 with a rail. It doesn't matter to me if it is DC or MS. I fix ATM's so it stays hot with the safety off either way. I've noticed also that the p95 with rail seems to have a nicer texture on the frame than the standard p95...which I like.

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one that likes the fact that Ruger is so durable and doesn't care that it's not that "cool". Thanks for everyone's opinions and comments!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:22:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By russbunny:

I read in a Guns and Ammo a few years back that during the development of the P=series, the engineers milled away a good-sized chunk from each side of the slide, plugged the barrel, and fired it, without causing severe damage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:22:12 PM EDT
Love the P. Just bought a P95.

My opinion:
"Ruger P. Low cost (Buy lots of ammo w savings). Reliable. Ugly. Loved by owners. Hated by non owners. Backed by Ruger customer service and reliability.

The A-10 warthog of handguns. No pilot wants it. Once they fly it you cant pry them away. They always come home no matter how many shots they take."

Top Top