Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:39:51 AM EDT

I bought the only pistol that I've ever carried and trained with used over 12 years ago used (but looked new) from a friend.

I've never had any problems with this gun until yesterday. I went shooting with my wife and it once again performed perfectly. Well, I got home cleaned the weapon, while bragging to my wife about how long I had owned and used the gun with never a hitch, and started doing some dry fire drills. After a few drills I tryed to reset the trigger with the slide and the trigger would not reset.  I took the gun apart and the trigger spring was broken!

One, I thank God that the pistol quit on me at home and not when I might need it. Two, I'm glad I decided to clean the gun after shooting it and dry fire it alittle because we were going to the movies later that night and I had planned to take that gun because it's the only gun I ever carry. I chose a different one that night.

Trigger springs are a few bucks and I plan on replaceing it to get the gun working again but should I keep on trusting such an old WarHorse or retire it to home duty and relace it with a newer model G23?

I really have alot of confidence with that weapon and it will take alot of tigger time to trust another gun the way I trusted it....... Your cheatin' heart.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace part as needed. Or have a Glock armorer do a total inspection and repair. Then shoot and carry another 12 yrs. But as per the rules of the board. Get another one for backup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Replace part as needed. Or have a Glock armorer do a total inspection and repair. Then shoot and carry another 12 yrs. But as per the rules of the board. Get another one for backup.

I have to agree wholeheartedly,,, my glocks have thousands and thousands of rounds,,, I trust my life to them implicitly!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, same here, I have several with many many thousands of rounds through them.

I keep a few parts on hand, and rarely use them, but it's cool that you can just pop the new part in and you are back up and running.

I would gut it and replace everything. Besides springs and such, the firing pin sleeve (plastic part) failed on one of my guns once, so after about 5k rnds I think it's a good idea to replace it.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The one thing that will break on your Glocks are the trigger springs.  Have extras handy and move on with your life.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had a trigger pin break after about 10K through my G22 (I was still able to shoot the pisto). I sent it back to Glock, and had the pistol back within a week.

They not only replaced the trigger pin, they replaced all the springs in the pistol. IIRC, they recommended that the pistol be serviced at least every 10K rounds, but I could be off the number.

Yeah, just like most people get there oil changed every 3000 miles, it's only actually NEEDED at more than double that They gotta tell you to get something done to it occaisonally so you don't forget about them 25k rounds n counting through my G22.  Another 500 here shortly. (Checks watch)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]

I thought about buying a kit from Glockmeister and doing it myself.

Anyone know how to find Glock amorers?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
With any mechanical device, routine maintenance needs to be performed to ensure maximum reliability.  Not to criticize, but think of it this way, your car can go for years without basic maintenance, but if you want to maximize performance, you're going to have an expert (car mechanic) look at it.  The same needs to be done with a pistol.  Every say 5,000 rounds you might want to have an armorer look at it.  Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you buy a new car becuase you had to replace a headlight?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Replace the spring and don't worry about it.  Talk to your local PD buddy, and have him take it to their armorer (chances are they use glocks and have tons of them lying around).
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That is pretty good, I  say replace part and drive on.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
i say send it back to glock and have them replace all of the springs and anything else as needed. after 12 years it's time for a tune-up. their turn around time is 2 weeks tops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah a complete rebuild is around 80 bucks, if you don't have night sights have them add those as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Call Glock and ask if its covered by warranty .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to a GSSF shoot and have them replace all the springs and stuff there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you kidding?  Replace all your springs and keep shooting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't see why you would want to replace a pistol that has run perfect for 12 yrs all because of a common breakage.  Replace the spring and give the pistol an overall inspection and then keep shooting as you always would.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will find a video showing how to detail strip a glock.
www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
I have detail stripped and replaced parts on all of my glocks for a long time without any problems.
And yes I do ccw a 22 that I have personally replaced a trigger bar and springs on without any negative effects. Just make sure to buy Glock brand  parts and you will never have to pay an armorer $80 for 10 minutes worth of time again.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
About 1 time every 2 months I strip every part down from my G17 and 19 just to get all the

sawdust out of them that I wear home from work and blows around in my truck.

Glocks are as simple as it gets.  Buy the ptooma productions " the complete glock reference

guide".  After that you will understand.

If you are like the rest of us and can build an AR from nothing but a stripped lower and stripped

upper and a pile of parts,  the Glock is a simple yet very functionable work of art.

Replacing parts very simple.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
That is why I run the NY-1 trigger spring. It is a more durable unit. I had broken 2 trigger springs in my 23, then I switched to the NY-1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top