Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 1:28:12 PM EDT
I'm pretty new to the handgun scene and have never owned a firearm outside of my father's Colt Woodsman which was sold long ago.

Anyways, I'm getting ready to purchase my first handgun and am considering buying a Ruger P90.

However, before I go forth and purchase said pistol, I wanted to hear opinions, experience, etc about the gun and perhaps some advice as to get the best deal. I was already told to try afew local dealers with a issue of "Shotgun News" and see who can get the lowest price.

Suggestions on a whole are welcomed as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
not the prettiest or most comfortable pistols but you won't have any probelms with it.

cheap, reliable, ruger p series.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the VW Beetle of firearms: cheap, reliable but it won't be confused with a Mercedes.

My advice is to get to the range with some buddies & try all of theirs. What feels good in your hand at the gun shop will sometimes be totally different at the range under recoil.

I also recommend buying used. That way you won't get hammered when/if you trade it off for a better gun.

KY Imports has a good web site for used guns to give you an idea about prices.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Hogue grips on Ruger "P" series pistols would be my suggestion.
Changes a "drill motor" feel to a decent "gun" feel.
The newer ones come with 8 round mags Vs. 7 in the past.
Of course, I say go with the stainless model, the blue Rugers seem to rust easily.
The frames are of a hard coated alloy and are about as maintenance free as it gets.

And a BIG welcome to ya, Wolfman!
Glad to see you made it and I hope you found a home...or at least stop back and let us know how that P-90 shoots!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a P90.  Been running it for a couple of years.  Can't be beat for the money.  As accurate as any other service grade 45 I've run across.  Trigger on mine is quite acceptable.  Completely reliable, something I can't say about any of the 1911's I've owned.

It is a big ol' chunk of a gun.  But it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
since i work in a gun shop part time i have answered this question many times over.  before considering any firearm there are questions that you have to ask yourself. 1) what is the intended primary use of the firearm? Concealed carry, home defense, or target/plinking.  2) what is the price range that you want to stay in? 3)how often do you plan to pratice with the weapon? 4) will a revolver better serve your needs or do you need a auto?  answer these first before you can consider the gun for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top