Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2013 4:48:55 PM EDT
Uncle Sams Retail Outlet has USGI Adirondack M7/M9 Shoulder Holsters for $24.99 shipped if you check the $5.00 Fedex flat rate just before checkout.  I got mine today.  I will post some pics soon

Uncle Sam's
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
" />
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Just curious, what's the date of manufacture on that ?
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see any manufacture date on it. It is the exact same holster I was issued back in my Marine Corps days 1990-1996 and is in new unissued quality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up! I put an order in for one. I'm a tall fat guy so it will be interesting to see how it fits but for the price I can deal with it.

ETA: I'm saving your pic as a reference on how to put it together.
       Apparently from what I've read the instructions are lacking in details.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in Korea all we had were those old fashion belt /flap holsters from the WW1 era.  Well we got a stock # for these tanker holsters in the above pic and ordered a bunch for our drivers and mortar guys . They friggin loved them .
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if the 92a1 will fit in that ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It is a pain in the ass to put together. I will post some more detailed pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if the 92a1 will fit in that ?
View Quote

Should fit just fine.  That is a M9 in the picture
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is a pain in the ass to put together. I will post some more detailed pics tomorrow.
View Quote

I should be getting mine in the mail on Thursday so more pics would certainly be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I used THIS to help but here are some pictures anyway. Use a leather punch or phillips screwdriver to enlarge the holes.The leather is stiff and very hard to put the leather cords through.

[URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/cdwmdw111/media/208_1003_zpse8f04a2f.jpg.html]
/URL
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Got mine in the mail today and just put it together. Your pictures were invaluable SkinnyPuppy, thanks!
I apologize in advance for the low quality of my picture. All I had on hand was an Android tablet.

ETA: Aaaaand I see that I put the buckles on backwards, lol. Fixed it now but its still wrong in the pic.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of stock!  Figures.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Out of stock!  Figures.
View Quote

Just as well for me. I just ordered a holster and mag holder that was posted in another thread.
I opened this thread and thought oh shit, here I go again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Showing back in stock now!
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Just bought one. Thanks OP. This will go great with a suit for CC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#18]
To you guys that bought one of these Adirondack holsters , how are they as far as durability ? Are they well made ? They certainly look nice .
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Well the leather is not Bianchi quality but for the price it's ok .
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Out of stock again .
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#21]
How is the leather compared to the original ones from the Vietnam war and Gulf War  and such ?  I read a review on them and a lot of people liked them but one guy said the leather was terrible like stretching rubber . I thought that was rather weird.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How is the leather compared to the original ones from the Vietnam war and Gulf War  and such ?  I read a review on them and a lot of people liked them but one guy said the leather was terrible like stretching rubber . I thought that was rather weird.
View Quote

I don't have any other leather holsters to compare against but it feels like decent leather to me. The straps are a bit thin (width wise) and if you re-adjust them frequently to find that sweet spot the black material used to coat the leather will appear some what wrinkly in areas.

The actual holster that holds the gun is made more robust and feels like it will last a lifetime. For the money it is really hard to find any flaws with the product I received.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the original.....I served during the Gulf War USMC 90-96 and this is the exact same holster we were issued.  The leather is stiff because it is new and will become more pliable after time. The quality is good and it's made in the USA
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I just found an M7 made by Adirondack Leather. It seems well worn but still very nice. I think this was worn maybe in the Gulf War. I went out early hunting old surplus stores and found it hanging up behind a lot of crap.
It was only $9.50  
I am now treating it with a good bath of 100% Neatsfoot Oil. The reason you dont see the buckles is because I took them off and cleaning them up. I am cleaning this up really good and then it's going to hold my Springfield 1911 for me while I'm deer hunting next month.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/us1_zpscb02cc1c.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just found an M7 made by Adirondack Leather. It seems well worn but still very nice. I think this was worn maybe in the Gulf War. I went out early hunting old surplus stores and found it hanging up behind a lot of crap.
It was only $9.50  
I am now treating it with a good bath of 100% Neatsfoot Oil. The reason you dont see the buckles is because I took them off and cleaning them up. I am cleaning this up really good and then it's going to hold my Springfield 1911 for me while I'm deer hunting next month.
<a href="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/us1_zpscb02cc1c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/us1_zpscb02cc1c.jpg</a>
View Quote

I really miss surplus stores. There used to be two of them in my town-they were right across the street from each other.
They closed years ago and now the last one I know of in the area closed as well.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Are these comfortable?

I bought a new Galco vertical holster and I hated it so much I never wore it out of the bedroom.  It felt terrible on my shoulders.  I returned it for a full refund, thanks to Optics Planet's awesome policy.

I'm assuming a horizontal holster wouldn't have been any better.

Maybe I'll try one of those el-cheapo Chinese shoulder holsters.  They have some big pads on the straps where they ride on the shoulders to better distribute the weight, but I'm only going off of the pictures I see.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW: The company that made/makes that Holster is still in business and located in Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame)
http://adirondackleatherproducts.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Are these comfortable?

View Quote

I bought a new Galco vertical holster and I hated it so much I never wore it out of the bedroom.  It felt terrible on my shoulders.  I returned it for a full refund, thanks to Optics Planet's awesome policy.

I'm assuming a horizontal holster wouldn't have been any better.

Maybe I'll try one of those el-cheapo Chinese shoulder holsters.  They have some big pads on the straps where they ride on the shoulders to better distribute the weight, but I'm only going off of the pictures I see.

They are comfortable, but there are some considerations you need to make:

Gore-tex Over Weapons - NO GO!

What started out as a security mission turned into an unfortunate, mishap after a young Marine shot himself. This Sergeant was a battalion ammo tech assigned to secure weapons and ammunition during a field exercise. He was issued security rounds for an M9 pistol and an M16A2 rifle to be used to secure the ASP.

After returning from the training site, the Sergeant helped unload one of the vehicles used to transport equipment to and from the training area. After unloading the vehicle, he decided to go turn in his weapons and stop by the head to shave before going to a staff meeting.
The Sergeant grabbed his shaving kit and proceeded to the armory. When he arrived, the armory was crowded with Marines who were cleaning and turning in their weapons. Since he didn't have time to wait in line, he decided to go shave first, and then turn in his two security weapons.
He went to the head facility inside the armory and an armorer told him to give up his M16A2 before entering the head. The Sergeant agreed and handed over his condition four M16-A2.
The armorer took the M16 and started to walk away to help with turn-in. "Wait! I have a pistol too!" The Sergeant quickly zipped open his Gore-Tex parka, then his cold weather "buffalo jacket". He reached inside, and fumbled to draw his pistol from its leather shoulder holster.
Unknown to the armorer, the ammo tech was carrying his M9 pistol in condition 1 status (round chambered, magazine inserted). The ammo tech grasped the pistol grip and attempted to draw the pistol, but the weapon snagged. He apparently had also grabbed part of his parka.
According to the armorer, the ammo tech then made a second, more forceful attempt to extract the weapon. The weapon discharged and one round fired into the Sergeant's chest two inches left of his sternum. The bullet passed through his chest, exited his back and went through a wall behind him.
The ammo tech slumped against the wall, and his legs buckled beneath him as he collapsed onto the floor. The armorer grabbed the injured Sergeant and dragged him away from the head doorway. He yelled called for a corpsman and for someone to dial 911.
Within seconds three Marines came to assist the injured Sergeant, two were civilian trained EMT's and the third was a paramedic. They administered CPR until the ambulance arrived. The young Sergeant was transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
Three specific unsafe actions contributed to this mishap:
The Sergeant violated all four safety rules. He wasn't treating the pistol as if it were loaded. He pointed it at something he didn't intend to shoot. He failed to keep his finger straight and off the trigger. He failed to keep the weapon on safe.
Additional considerations are that this Marine wore his shoulder holster under layers of restrictive outer garments. This reduced clear access to the weapon, and witnesses felt it impeded the Sergeants first attempt to draw his pistol.
The M-7 leather shoulder holster is not intended for use as a concealed-carry holster. The Marine Corps is developing one but it is for limited use by law enforcement personnel and has not yet been issued.
The M7 as well as the M12 (green nylon hip holster) should be worn over outer garments at all times. Additionally, if you are armed and tasked to stand a post requiring security rounds and a condition one weapon, how effective are you if you bury your weapon beneath multiple layers of clothing?
To find out more, reenactments were staged using Marines with M7 holsters worn underneath similar clothing. These reenactments demonstrated this was dangerous as Marines showed a tendency to angle the weapon in toward their chest. This results from the holster's tendency to snag unless it is tied down. The holster has a tie down strap, which should be snapped around the trouser web belt. If this is done, it will hold the holster in place as a pistol is being drawn. Sounds simple but Marines wear blouses over their trousers, which covers up the web belt; in the 'old corps' blouses were tucked in and the web belt was readily accessible.
If a pistol is drawn when the tie down isn't used, the holster stays with the pistol until it binds on the shoulder harness--this causes the holster to bind and kicks the muzzle in toward the body.
To wear this holster properly, it must be adjusted to fit over outer garments and the tie down strap must be attached to the utility belt or similarly located strap from your deuce gear.
It was further noted during reenactments that an M9 may inadvertently be placed to fire as the pistol is grasped or during the draw if the safety lever is brushed against the holster or body. While this can occur with any holster, the pistol still doesn't fire unless you pull the trigger and the bullet doesn't kill you, unless you direct it toward yourself.
The unit weapons handling instruction did not provide guidance regarding the wearing of outer garments over a shoulder holstered weapon. This sounds silly but it is correct. The M7 is not the standard issue holster of the Marine Corps. The green nylon M12 is the "official" holster (when worn on the hip) and units who must have something better or different are required to develop their own specific training.
The M7 holster was initially designed during World War II for the .45 ACP 1911-A1 pistol. After the 1957 color change, this holster switched from brown to black. No changes have been made to the design since.
The fact that this holster was built for the .45 is not an issue. K-bars and rifle slings haven't changed much since World War II either. The issue is that since the M7 holster is not standard (Marine Corps does not develop training for it), it is up to the using unit to develop training.
Is the M7 "authorized"? Yes. However, units desiring to use holster other than the M12 must develop unit-level, specific training. The M7 is one of many holsters in this category. If units wish to continue using it, classes should be constructed and guidelines included in the unit SOP.
This holster is but one of many non-standard types and is arguably more appropriate for tank crewman, and machine gunners, TOW missile-men and aviators. Marine security guards, policeman, reconnaissance units, and FAST platoons all use non-standard holsters to satisfy their differing requirements and fixed wing aviators use taco-shell looking holsters built by parachute riggers from scraps of nylon. Regardless of the holster used, make sure it works and that Marines know how to wear, adjust and use it properly."

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Most definitely.  99% of the time the chamber is empty when I carry.

But then that could lead to other problems...as in, needing to use the weapon and the chamber is empty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top