Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 8:58:53 PM EDT
My new (used) 3" MagNaPorted Model 629 44 magnum (Apparently a Lew Horton Combat Magnum limited run; the first round-butt N-frame production guns) and my Performance Center 625 in 45 LC/45 ACP. Nothing like a nice heavy bullet at 1000 fps for social work The 625 has been my fanny pack gun this summer.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The round butt 629 and 657 snubbies I had were not ported.
Let's just say when you lit one off, you knew it!
Not for the recoil sensitive, but quite accurate.
I think I know why the 629 was found "used"...just ask lefty.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
man I thought this was a BOTD post!

I've been throwing around the idea of a 610 or a 625 when I get the money.  How do you like the 625 day to day?

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually carry a full-size 1911 so the 625 isn't much of a weight difference. Being pretty much completely dehorned, with the bobbed hammer, it's easier to draw from the fanny pack than even a commander-sized 1911 and I don't have to worry about the safety getting knocked off.

I've also had to check the 625 a couple of times when carrying into courthouses this summer; the big bore revolver gets a far more wide-eyed reaction than when I check a 1911

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wheelgun fan here too.  I have a 3" S&W 624 (44 Special) that is real nice.  I just like the N-frame Smiths, and when I handled this one I had to get it.

I do enjoy plinking with it, but the little 5-shot Airweight 38 or my Glock 40 get the CCW duties.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
tried.sorry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the look of those unfluted cylinders. I'm going to have to start looking for a similar 625, I love the way yours looks. After years of owning only autos I just bought a 396 44spcl. It has become my favorite. All these years I have really been missing out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I am curious - you say that the Model 625 is .45LC and acp.  Does it use interchangeable cylinders or are the chambers cut to accept both?  Will the acp take full moon clips?  

Finally - where can I get one??????  

Very sweet revolvers!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am curious - you say that the Model 625 is .45LC and acp.  Does it use interchangeable cylinders or are the chambers cut to accept both?  Will the acp take full moon clips?  

Very sweet revolvers!

Yeah, what he said
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Very sweet revolvers!

The 625 uses a 45LC cylinder that has been milled to accept full moon clips. The clip fits flush with the back end of the cylinder.

The cylinder will also allow you to fire 45 WinMag and 460 Rowland.

The work was done by the S&W Performance Center. I bought the gun, used, from the original owner. He paid about $1000 on top of the price of the gun for all the custom work. Suffice to say that I paid quite a bit less than that for the revolver and he tossed in a spare 45 LC cylinder that is unused and fitted to the gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top