Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:25:25 PM EDT
So, I was cleaning my Kimber Warrior today and upon reassembly, I put a Tipton Red Snap Cap into a Wilson Combat 47D magazine to perform a function check. After chambering the snap cap and performing the check, I dropped the magazine and pulled back the slide to eject the snap cap. Only, it wouldn't eject. Instead, it would get stuck and wouldn't come out until I started to let the slide forward at which time it would drop out through the magazine well.

I found this to be odd and tried it several times with the same result. I then tried it while leaving the magazine inserted in the firearm. This time, the snap cap ejected properly. Several subsequent tests following the same procedure yielded the same result. Curiouser and curiouser...

Now, I went in another room to retrieve another WC 47D magazine loaded with Magtech .45's. I inserted the mag and chambered a round. I dropped the magazine and ejected the chambered round with no problem. I performed this test several more times, each without incident. What gives? I just got some snap caps for the first time and this was the first time using them. Is this a common occurance?

I suppose there is nothing to worry about since the firearm ejects live ammunition flawlessly, but I can't help but question this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:17:38 AM EDT by die-tryin]
I think you put too much time in writing this post and worrying about a NON Issue. IF the gun functions with REAL ammo than Id be happy about that. my .02
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:47:16 PM EDT
yeah, yeah; it's been a slow day. My fiance was out with the girls today getting her wedding dress fitted, so I've really had nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:09:50 PM EDT
Where did the round hang up?

LEt me guess...the front part of the dummy round, the very tip of what would be the bullet, made contact with the front of the slide's ejection port?

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly...remember, the empty case is much shorter than a loaded round.

After a magazine, collect all the ejected brass..check it. See if it's mangled, dented, or what. If it's just slightly dented, no worries. If it's totally mangled and looks like someone had at the case mouth with a baseball bat? Start checking extractor and ejector tolerances..

YMMV, I am not a smith..

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:05 PM EDT
Unless your carrying snap caps for defensive ammo don't worry. My snap caps jam up once in a while too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:07:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:
Unless your carrying snap caps for defensive ammo don't worry. My snap caps jam up once in a while too.

same thing happens in my ed brown, it kind of pisses me off but i got over it. If i use them now, i have to load atlest 3-4 in the magazine, and rack he slide HARD and FAST to ensure they get ejected. If you load one at a time, and slowly rack the slide, that will aid in their jamming.
Top Top