Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:08:27 PM EST
I was told it's bad for a Glock to drop the slide on an empty chamber. Any truth? Supposedly it's really bad for a 1911, but what about a Glock?

I'm currently using the factory fixed sights on my G17. You're supposed to center the dot inside the white box, right? If I do that, the front sight is way over the top of the rear sight. I'm used to using the standard sight picture of the front post being in line with the top of the rear sight, but if I use that, my shots are pretty low. Is that normal? Should I adjust to the bad sight picture, or should I file the front sight down a little so I can use it how I'm used to? I'm definately gonna replace the sights with steel, but it might be a while. It just seems a little weird to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:21:49 PM EST
The extractor claw has to push back over the rim and then engage. This puts a lot of pressure on the claw edge and usually leads to premature extractor failure (chipped extractor). Glock, like most firearm makers, recommend that you insert a loaded mag, charge the weapon, and then drop the mag and add another round. This is a good practice with all your firearms.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:53:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By COSteve:
The extractor claw has to push back over the rim and then engage. This puts a lot of pressure on the claw edge and usually leads to premature extractor failure (chipped extractor). Glock, like most firearm makers, recommend that you insert a loaded mag, charge the weapon, and then drop the mag and add another round. This is a good practice with all your firearms.

That is putting a round into the chamber and closing, which is bad.

He asked about an empty chamber, won't hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:01:32 AM EST
I dont' think it'll hurt anything either, but I just don't see the point in letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:42:59 AM EST
ok, 1st off, for glocks, its perfectly fine imo to drop/slam the slide down on an empty chamber

on 1911s, not so much; it can lead to increased wear on the slide/frame, but more importantly, it may damage the sear

for stock glock sights, yea, you basically put the circle on the "U" w/ it level and shoot

if its not your sight picture, than its probably your form or trigger control thats pushing your shots low
Top Top