Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/15/2012 4:03:57 PM EDT
Ok guys. I got my Cane and Derby AIWB holster yesterday. Was so excited because I heard they are aweome and all that jazz.

Well, the holster is awesome. But its not comfortable. I've played a bit with positioning but I'm not sure what else to do. I like the location of it straddling my right front belt loop but it digs into the crease between my leg and groin when I sit down. As in, digs like it wants to hurt me.

Not sure how to resolve this. Can I add padding to it? Would it be worth unscrewing the loops a bit and canting it so that the muzzle end isn't resting there?

It sure is awkward carrying a gun there. But I figure that will take some adjusting too, much like my MTAC took initially.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:51:45 PM EDT
How high do you wear your pants? I have the same issue if I try to carry AIWB and I don't wear my pants high enough.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:08:19 AM EDT
They are at my waist or just below... I'll try higher, then I run into the issue of my pants grabbing my groin.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 6:18:33 AM EDT
This problem won't go away with out extensive testing to find the exact right spot that works for YOUR body.

My solution: Move the holster out of the apendix area and further onto your hip.

That or remove your leg...
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:49:49 AM EDT
I found that the Pardus has too wide of a profile to be comfortable for me, especially the extra material in front of the trigger guard. I like a holster with a minimum profile off of the trigger guard and barrel so that when sitting the barrel rests between the groin and leg while the trigger guard is just above the crease of the leg.

Last year finally got fed up with throwing down $60-100 a whack at something that would just wind up in a box in the garage. Made a press and bought kydex material and hardware to start rolling my own. If I see a design that looks promising I'll mock one up. Current rig is a cross between the Archangel and the Shaggy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:17:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jester316:
This problem won't go away with out extensive testing to find the exact right spot that works for YOUR body.

My solution: Move the holster out of the apendix area and further onto your hip.

That or remove your leg...

Looks like I'm removing a leg...
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:59:35 AM EDT
I tried the C&D aiwb and didn't care for it. I couldn't get it to be both concealed and comfortable at the same time. It was either one or the other. I have a shaggy now and it is just a better design for my body. Sitting with aiwb may require you to pull your pants up right before you sit down. I find for me that this works.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:59:21 PM EDT
Do you have a gut OP?

A gut can cause presure on the grip area of the pistol, causing the muzzle end of an AIWB holster to dig into the body.

As mentioned play with position a bit. I actually carry AIWB in an Archangel, and i carry right at center line.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:22:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DCLXVI:
Do you have a gut OP?

A gut can cause presure on the grip area of the pistol, causing the muzzle end of an AIWB holster to dig into the body.

As mentioned play with position a bit. I actually carry AIWB in an Archangel, and i carry right at center line.

I do not have a gut. I do not have flat washboard abs either. I have a tiny bit more than I'd like to have and am working on getting rid of that.

I have been wearing the holster the last two days and it hasn't been as bad until really late in the day. I'm also wearing different pants so I'm not sure how much that has to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 11:59:54 PM EDT
I carry an Archangel and have come up with a couple of discreet techniques to adjust the rig: when starting to sit, I use my forearm to push down on the grip of my GLOCK and tilt the gun and rig's muzzle more toward my centerline. This alleviates the muzzle and end of holster from stabbing into my thigh. When I stand I do the opposite and use my forearm to tilt the gun and holster back to a neutral position. I also carry closer to 1:30-2:00.

I modified my Archangel by cutting a piece of kneepad foam from some EOTac pants, folding it double and taping it to the bottom-bodyside of the holster. This keeps the grip of my G23 tucked in close and also pads the area of the holster that comes into contact with my thigh when seated. AIWB takes quite a bit of experimentation and a little getting used to. Once you find the sweet spot all this trial and error is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:53:02 AM EDT
The holster is getting more and more comfortable. I'm waiting on new jeans to try. But so far so good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:29:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SuperMoose:
The holster is getting more and more comfortable. I'm waiting on new jeans to try. But so far so good.

Different pants can definitely help. I especially like pants with elastic waistbands for AIWB. Personally, I find a slight bit of gut to help conceal, but as pointed out too much (like me) makes it not as comfy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:33:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
I like a holster with a minimum profile off of the trigger guard and barrel so that when sitting the barrel rests between the groin and leg while the trigger guard is just above the crease of the leg.

Last year finally got fed up with throwing down $60-100 a whack at something that would just wind up in a box in the garage. Made a press and bought kydex material and hardware to start rolling my own. If I see a design that looks promising I'll mock one up. Current rig is a cross between the Archangel and the Shaggy.

Yes. To all of this. Making holsters is frickin easy, and you end up with what works for you. If you screw up, you reheat it; if you make it too small or cut off too much kydex, you're out like $.50
Top Top