Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I am looking at a variety of handguns to make my range/CCW gun in the near future. Most everyone seems to agree that 9mm isnt potent enough for a CCW, and say that .40 is the better round for knock-down (however I have heard that the .40 can be a bit snappy, which would make a 9mm round better if I could better control the recoil and place 3 rounds on target in the time I could fire off 2 with a .40) .

I know I need to go to the range and rent the calibers I am looking at, so this post wont be my last stop before making my decision..but I wanted to get a feel.

What would be an average cost difference between a 9mm and a .40 in a range round? (The price difference for carry ammo doesnt matter as I wouldnt be going through alot of the defense rounds..but would alot of the target rounds.)

Any thoughts on the snappiness I have heard that a .40 round carries. (try to keep in mind that I am 6'1 180lbs and can handle some kick...both our .44 and .357 Pythons dont really bother me.)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-winded questions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:10 AM EDT
I don't shoot .40 so I won't comment of those prices. WWB 9mm 100rd ValuePacks are <$12.00 at Walmart. I hear that the Academy chain of outdoor stores sells CCI Blazer 50rd boxes for ridiculously low prices; like <$4.00 for a box.

For me it seems like most budget practice ammo ordered by the case via internet/mail-order typically comes to between $110 and $130 after shipping.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:11:08 AM EDT
The 40 S&W is available with bullet weights from 135 to 180 grain, so there is a wide range of recoil. I recommend one of the 135 grain JHP's or one of the premium 155 grain JHP's for concealed carry, with the 135 grain Quik-Skok topping my list. I am considering switching from .357 Sig to 40 S&W because this design is no longer available in .357 Sig. In the 135 grain bullet weight, the .40 S&W is just a bit stiffer in recoil than 9mm +P+ loads.

Practice ammo can be had for $0.16 a round.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT
In my opinion, either round will take care of defensive needs with proper bullet choice and proper shot placement.
Yes, the .40 is a bit snappier, but nothing you can't addapt to and overcome with practice. I have a Glock 19 and a 23, and when fired side by side is the only time I REALLY notice the difference in recoil impulse, when shooting just the 23, I don't notice it anymore.
9mm ammo is cheaper, but the .40 ammo isn't that much more to make a difference to me--especially range ammo.
my2cents
Top Top