Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I am looking at a variety of handguns to make my range/CCW gun in the near future. Most everyone seems to agree that 9mm isnt potent enough for a CCW, and say that .40 is the better round for knock-down (however I have heard that the .40 can be a bit snappy, which would make a 9mm round better if I could better control the recoil and place 3 rounds on target in the time I could fire off 2 with a .40) .

I know I need to go to the range and rent the calibers I am looking at, so this post wont be my last stop before making my decision..but I wanted to get a feel.

What would be an average cost difference between a 9mm and a .40 in a range round? (The price difference for carry ammo doesnt matter as I wouldnt be going through alot of the defense rounds..but would alot of the target rounds.)

Any thoughts on the snappiness I have heard that a .40 round carries. (try to keep in mind that I am 6'1 180lbs and can handle some kick...both our .44 and .357 Pythons dont really bother me.)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-winded questions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't shoot .40 so I won't comment of those prices.  WWB 9mm 100rd ValuePacks are <$12.00 at Walmart.  I hear that the Academy chain of outdoor stores sells CCI Blazer 50rd boxes for ridiculously low prices; like <$4.00 for a box.

For me it seems like most budget practice ammo ordered by the case via internet/mail-order typically comes to between $110 and $130 after shipping.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The 40 S&W is available with bullet weights from 135 to 180 grain, so there is a wide range of recoil.  I recommend one of the 135 grain JHP's or one of the premium 155 grain JHP's for concealed carry, with the 135 grain Quik-Skok topping my list.  I am considering switching from .357 Sig to 40 S&W because this design is no longer available in .357 Sig.  In the 135 grain bullet weight, the .40 S&W is just a bit stiffer in recoil than 9mm +P+ loads.

Practice ammo can be had for $0.16 a round.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion, either round will take care of defensive needs with proper bullet choice and proper shot placement.
Yes, the .40 is a bit snappier, but nothing you can't addapt to and overcome with practice. I have a Glock 19 and a 23, and when fired side by side is the only time I REALLY notice the difference in recoil impulse, when shooting just the 23, I don't notice it anymore.
9mm ammo is cheaper, but the .40 ammo isn't that much more to make a difference to me--especially range ammo.
my2cents
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top