Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 10:26:19 PM EDT
Will the new P1s handle a hot loaded 9mm like a +P or should I stick to standard loads?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Stick to standard 9mm loads. I've shot a ton of Hot GI M882 9mm BALL thru mine and it just battered the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The P-38/P1 was designed for standard military 124 grain round nose, full metal jacket ammo.  
NOT hot ammo, or hollow point ammo.

Shooting hot ammo will batter the gun and possibly crack the frame or slide.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Does that mean the winchester 9mm NATO is out. It is a standard 9mm round but it looks pretty hot to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit:  Disregard, I'm a dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does that mean the winchester 9mm NATO is out. It is a standard 9mm round but it looks pretty hot to me.

I wouldn't use it. I'd stick to generic 9mm or such as PMC, UMC, S&B, etc. etc. The few pennies you save on ammo isn't worth the gun, IMO. I've learned that the hard way, I'd afraid.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I think ill stick to the winchester walmart special whitebox stuff at 11.63 a box.

PS, the gun shoots great.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

PS, the gun shoots great.

The gun is a great little camping gun/truck gun, IMO. I use it to transition novice shooters from a revolver to a semi. The heel mag release is a great training tool as it visualizes in the shooters mind what holds the mag in. Otherwise, they tend to think "press the button, it falls out" only & not be able to troubleshoot a problem.

It would appear the com bloc re-imports in alloy frames haven't been shot too terribly much, if this is what you have?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
What say you Bob about shooting a War bringback from the 43 year an AC  in very good conditon!

Would you use just regular 9 para-bellum in it?

It's all matching numbers,even has War eagles on the one mag it came with(some guy inherited it and sold it!!!)

I plan on shooting it just not very often!!     It's not a high dollar colectable(450.00) but will look good next to my Remington!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick with standard ammo in the WWII P-38.
These guns are aging now, and many were heavily shot over the years.

In addition, the Bakelite grips are aging and getting fragile.  Hotter ammo could stress crack or break the grips.

There's no sense in over-stressing and possibly damaging a collectible.
Wanna shoot HOT 9mm ammo, buy a modern gun MADE to shoot hot ammo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Well Dfariswheel the only other nine mils I own are a S&W mod 39-2(thats an alum lower)and a S&W 4-39 nichol plated!  They both seem very weak in design than the Walther P-38!!!

I had a P-1 and  sold it because it felt(and looked weak in the frame)much like my S&W pistols!

But they never failed!!!

I don't believe in the + nine,thats what the .40 and the 10 mil is for!!  I just like the feel of the P-38!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What say you Bob about shooting a War bringback from the 43 year an AC  in very good conditon!

Yep, 9mm FMJ 115/124gr generic such as PMC/UMC/S&B, etc. etc.

However, I would urge a replacement recoil spring in a WW2 trophy before I shot it, IMO.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
bobbyjack:

The difference is, the S&W autos were more modern designs and were specifically designed for extra strength.

The may LOOK weaker than the P-38, but they are actually a stronger design with a frame that can handle impact and wear and tear better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, 9mm FMJ 115/124gr generic such as PMC/UMC/S&B, etc. etc.

However, I would urge a replacement recoil spring in a WW2 trophy before I shot it, IMO.

Point well take  guess I will order TWO new recoil springs!!!!

Thanks (and sorry for the HighJack)!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top