Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/2/2006 4:52:25 AM EDT
Well assuming you're a chick or a guy with buggywhip arms from having spent 20 years in an iron lung or something, are the 9mm 1911s reliable for real use, or are they toys?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:00:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:55:31 PM EDT by hobbs5624]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:47:32 AM EDT
A pistol in the hand, when you need it, is worth a lot regardless of caliber....I've carried Browning HP's for years and felt fairly comfortable. That being said, when you need it you will wish you had a .45.

Many years ago some friends and I ended up in an "alercation" with a drunken biker...not by our desire of course. He had a knife and very bad attitude. We had 2, 9 mils ( a Sig and my Browning ) and 2, .45s ( an H & K USP and a Glock 21 ). All concealed and unkbeknownst to the drunken bum/biker. At one point the situation got very near to all of us drawing down; my first thought was "Damn, I am sooo glad I have night sights!" as it was VERY dark out. My second thought was, "Damn, I wish I had a forty five!" as this guy was pretty damn big.

Now, would it have made a diffrerence if I had to use the HP or a 1911? Statistically.....probably not.....but I would have felt loads and loads better with a 1911.

To this day, I wonder what that idiot would have thought if he forced all four of us to draw.....talk about the wild west!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:35:49 AM EDT
9mm is still a good defensive caliber if recoil reduction is your concern. I carry a G-22 and would have no problems if I had to go to a 9mm. For defensive purposes, shot placement is still a priority regardless of caliber.

Having a large caliber but not being able to hit the target will do you no good. A miss with a .45 is still a miss. Use as much caliber that you can still hit the target with.

Practice with what you will use.

HI5-0
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:42:48 AM EDT
Some, not I , would compare 9mm to lightly tossing stuffed olives at an aggressor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:34:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:
Some, not I , would compare 9mm to lightly tossing stuffed olives at an aggressor.

Stuffed or with pits?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:24:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Stuffed or with pits?

Dude, pay attention he said STUFFED! Now the question is: red pimento or capers??
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:12:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EdB:

Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Stuffed or with pits?

Dude, pay attention he said STUFFED! Now the question is: red pimento or capers??

Better yet garlic or jalapeno...

9mm 1911 - very fast , probably the best for a "single stack" match that doesn't seg out calibers.

That said, as a carry gun - I like BHPs. But have that same niggling in the back of my head any time I head out the door with something other than a .45 ACP. However I have been watching my splits while playing with 9mm....

Bullet construction (Gold Dots for example) have come a long way....
I understand the idea of just going to slide lock and that capacity can be your friend....

What is that saying..."the truth - will set you free"

When you figure it out - let me know.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:21 AM EDT
I have two 1911's in 9mm and shoot one of them all the time. Both will feed ball ammo from a variety of magazines. But I have found that with hollowpoint ammo, the only magazines that will run 99.99% of the time are the "Springfield" magazines from Metalform. These magazines have a little feed ramp built into the front top edge of the magazine.

I do carry this pistol in a Milt Sparks holster on a regular basis. I've got somewhere around 6,500 rounds through the gun and it runs as good as any 1911 I have ever had.

Other than a reduction in recoil and quick follow-up shots, there is probably no practical advantage to the 9mm 1911. Until somebody comes out with a reliable 10-round magazine, the capacity is only increased by one round over the same sized pistol in a .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:04:09 PM EDT
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:14:15 PM EDT
A box stock, or mostly box stock, Kimber Target 9mm ran all of Pat Roger's Operator's course this summer.

Fielded by an older shooter {50+}, not only did it prove reliable, but damn accurate too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
1911s are big guns. 9mm is a light recoiling round, and they work well in a 1911. If you've ever shot a 9mm 1911, they are a joy. I don't want to get in to the 9mm vs .45 debate, but let's face it, whichever your choice, they are both still handgun rounds, and neither is a magical fight stopper. I personally don't feel the least bit undergunned with a 9mm, and though I don't own a 9mm 1911, I wouldn't mind one.

As far as intrinsic reliability, I've never had trouble making one run, nor seen a single factory Kimber or SA that didn't run. I've worked on my share of Colt 9mm guns that had reliability issues, but it had more to do with some mid 80's to early 90's Colts with poor quality conttrol than the cartridge itself.

For me, if I am going to shoot a 9mm, I want a different platform. Again, just my opinion here, but in 9mm, the only reason I want a 9mm 1911 is if I want the superior trigger action of a 1911 with it's ability to have a very crisp pull with minimal trigger reset. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:18:43 PM EDT
but if you want to be real cool, and also reload ammo... what about the other orig. 1911 cart.?

I sure love my El Cen Colt .38 super

never had prob., run w/10 round wilson mags, shot quite a bit limited 10 IPSC w/ her

but if you buy ammo and want to fit in w/ the Ruger guys at the range, 9mm would prob. be better

don't plan on visiting Mexico, but another advantage??

I say if getting 9mm, what about XD?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:36:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ChopperBob:
but if you want to be real cool, and also reload ammo... what about the other orig. 1911 cart.?

I sure love my El Cen Colt .38 super

never had prob., run w/10 round wilson mags, shot quite a bit limited 10 IPSC w/ her

but if you buy ammo and want to fit in w/ the Ruger guys at the range, 9mm would prob. be better

don't plan on visiting Mexico, but another advantage??

I say if getting 9mm, what about XD?

9X23 Winchester is also a fun cartridge to play with. My Kimber Pro HD will chamber and feed both .38 Super and 9x23 with no problems. 9x23 is not a pussycat like the 9x19, however.
Top Top