Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 5:35:55 AM EDT
[size=1]I have a Springfield 1911 full size in 9mm, model PI9134LP that doesn't like chambering the first round from a full magazine. I have the original MetalForm mags, a MecGar, some Wilson Combat mags and some Tripp Research Cobra mags.
When I use 100gr. plated flat point rounds with 1.05" O.A.L. the first round wont chamber more than it will chamber. Admittedly, that is a short-oddball load.
But even with round nose loads between 1.200 to 1.400 OAL when a mag is loaded to full capacity, especially the Wilson 10 rounders when I let the slide fly I can feel the round bouncing into the chamber. Often the bullet will be pushed in the case a little (or a lot).
I didn't notice that bounce until I got the Tripp mags. Letting the slide fly on a full Tripp mag the slide travels noticeably smoother with no bullet push in. A buddy tried it an he felt the same thing.
I clipped a full coil off the Wilson mag spring and the bounce is less but still noticeable.
Then I clipped off a 2nd coil from the Wilson mag and the 1st round from a full mag chambered smoothly. Then I fired the mag as fast as possible with no failures.
Wilson Combat makes good stuff. Im sure they know what they'r doing...
Do we know why the Wilson mags have such a powerful spring in the mags?
Any comments on clipping coils from mag springs?
What magazines do you guys like for your 9mm 1911?

Thanks Much
VonBark[/size=1]  

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:56:19 AM EDT
Never had to clip a single stack magazine.

I use the Metalform elite mags.

I'd have your feed ramp angle checked and check the tension on your extractor.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:26:36 PM EDT by pepe-lepew]
Wilson mags have longer feed lips. From my experience, this tends to make the issue worse.

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 12:38:25 PM EDT
I don't think I would clip a mag spring. It'd likely weaken a lot faster. Is this from slide lock or are you racking the slide? And do you know what # recoil spring is in the gun?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 5:52:09 AM EDT
I have a RIA and use Checkmate mags.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:34:47 PM EDT
Dawson Precision mags have worked great for me.
Top Top