Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 12:58:13 PM EDT
I was lloking at puting adjustable rear sisght on my Beretta 92FS. I see that they have a rear target sight for sale. After some looking I found them for about $57.
I looked around a little at Midway USA and found some Millett sights but they list them for the 84, 85, 92s and the 92sb.

As seen here.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/567318

Does anyone know if this sight will fit the 92FS, in relation to the dovetail slot and the front sight?
Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the Beretta sights your are reffering to. They are expensive, and I could not find it anywhere else cheaper. I also wanted a little more adjustability as far as elevation goes. I did go to the millett web site and had seen the front sight "cap". That was an instant no-go for me.
Beretta also sells an adjustable target rear sight that they claim the front blade needs no modification. They sell it for $70 I think. I managed to find it for $57 elsewhere.

It is a larger sight than the factory sight. I will see how it holsters. I hope to have it in a week or so.

BTW, Did you remove your own sight? Or did you have a smith do it? I have seen all sorts of tools for removing the sight. The cheapest of them being a brass drift. I am just not sure if I want to plunk down $50 for a sight removal tool I may only use once.

Here is what it looks like, in case you have never seen it.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/e00169_2.JPG
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw the Beretta sights your are reffering to. They are expensive, and I could not find it anywhere else cheaper. I also wanted a little more adjustability as far as elevation goes. I did go to the millett web site and had seen the front sight "cap". That was an instant no-go for me.
Beretta also sells an adjustable target rear sight that they claim the front blade needs no modification. They sell it for $70 I think. I managed to find it for $57 elsewhere.

It is a larger sight than the factory sight. I will see how it holsters. I hope to have it in a week or so.

BTW, Did you remove your own sight? Or did you have a smith do it? I have seen all sorts of tools for removing the sight. The cheapest of them being a brass drift. I am just not sure if I want to plunk down $50 for a sight removal tool I may only use once.

www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/e00169_2.JPG

Would like to know how it works out for you. I was thinking about getting the same adjustable rear.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would like to know how it works out for you. I was thinking about getting the same adjustable rear.

I will keep you informed. I can't wait till it arrives.

Quoted:
I have that same rear sight on my Springfield.45...for the last 12 years.
I never holstered it as it is set up for just target shooting and it does hang over the back of the slide a bit.
That sight was marketed by various companies through the years and I think even used on Sigs .22 target pistols.
Mine was sold as a Pachmayr, even the screwdriver is so marked.
It came in all black, 2 white dots or the white outline, which I have.
I let a 'smith knock out the original sight and install the new one, it was really stuck, laughing at my best attempts with a plastic, then brass drift and a bigger hammer. here,
My 92 shot the bullseye at 6 o'clock at 25-30 feet so the tallest blade of the 3 included with the Beretta sight assembly was used to bring it to center, dead center.  hr

I am shooting low and to the right at 25 feet. This should bring it to center. If it is to bulky I think I will be diassapointed but that is yet to be seen.
What did he charge you for the change over?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I got my sights today, and I decided to do the work myself. I was able to drift out the factory sight pretty well. There were no brass marks that could not be easily wiped off. That made me happy. The new sight took a little more effort to drift back in. The key was to make sure it cleared the safety on the left, because the sight is wide, and perfect alightnment is a must for the safety to work properly. Luckily I measued the sight and it is centered to within .001". I tightened the set screw. That was it. I am not sure why there is a set screw, the fit is tight as it is. But oh well.

First impressions. The sight is big compared to the factory sight. The sight could have been made a little smaller. It hangs over the back of the slide by about a 1/4" which you loose a little bit of space in which to grasp the hammer if needed. Almost seems like it needs an extended spur hammer to cope with this sight. The adjustment screws are solid. Very defined detents that seem like they will stay put even when/if hostered. Color match is good as well. I will test shoot her in a few days and let you know how it turns out.

Until then here are some pics. I did my best.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL686/2648699/5283893/67514049.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL686/2648699/5283893/67514058.jpg

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice. Do they have white dots on the rear like the stock?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's a mec-gar sight...

$20 from CDNN if they had Taurus or Beretta versions, $59 anywhere else if you can find them...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice. Do they have white dots on the rear like the stock?

Yes they do have the white dots. I can post a pic from the shooting perspective if you want.

Quoted:
That's a mec-gar sight...

$20 from CDNN if they had Taurus or Beretta versions, $59 anywhere else if you can find them...

Well I guess I am happy and sad. Happy that they don't seem to have them for Beretta for $20 and sad that I payed $57 and maybe could have gotten them for $20.

Oh well it is a done deal now. Spilled milk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top