Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2012 2:55:38 PM EDT
I've got a brand new 92A1 that shoots a good couple of inches to the right at seven yards.  This is the first handgun I've owned that doesn't shoot POA/POI.  I love everything about the gun, but sights that don't shoot POA/POI isn't going to cut it.  I know the sights are adjustable/replaceable, but my local gun shop tells me they can't do it without leaving tool marks on the slide and/or sights themselves.  I think they don't have the correct tools to do it properly.  With the right tool, are the sights easily adjustable or is it something I should leave up to a professional?  For the cost of the adjustment tool, I could practically get a set of night sights installed by Trijicon - something I've been considering anyway.  Would Beretta fix it if I contacted them about it?  Should I just send it to Trijicon for some new sights and cross my fingers she shoots straight?  What do you guys think?  Any of you find yourself with a 92 that didn't shoot straight out of the box and if so what did you to fix it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
move the rear sight
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two 92A1s. My first one also had the sights off. They were not centered on the front. I brought it my local smith. He noticed that the rear was also not quite centered. He centered both. Gun is super accurate now. Mine was 2 inches off at seven yards before the fix...
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I can tell that both the front and rear are slightly off center on mine too.  Good to know mine isn't the only one.  I'll see if I can find a local gunsmith with the proper tools to adjust them.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
My gunsmith brought it to the back and came back a few minutes later. Not sure if he used a pushed. I tried it with a brass punch, and a towel (so as not to mark it). And, I couldn't get the site to budge. So, I think he used a sight pusher.

My other 92A1 came back centered and on target
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The orignal sights on my 92A1 were centered.

I replaced my stock sights with Trijicons and a punch.  I don't think I would do that again.  The dovetails were ridiculously tight.  I didn't bang up the gun, but the sights are a little scratched.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Put 150 rounds through my new M9a1 last weekend- consistantly shot 4 inches left- looks lined up to me but i'm gonna have to have it checked out i think. Other wise I love it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Find yourself a plastic mallet at your local hardware store. Take the slide off the gun, rest it on it's side on something solid with a towel or rag under the slide, and wack em over yourself:

$7.77 + shipping - plastic mallet

Aint all that hard. I just "adjusted" a set of Trijicon night sights back to center on a used Glock 19 I recently picked up.

You can then revel in the fact that you sucessfully worked on your own gun.

Next thing you know you will be building AK's and AR's in your basement.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Find yourself a plastic mallet at your local hardware store. Take the slide off the gun, rest it on it's side on something solid with a towel or rag under the slide, and wack em over yourself:

http://media.waresdirect.com.s3.amazonaws.com/product/ZM/WDI-311-15002-ZM.jpg

$7.77 + shipping - plastic mallet

Aint all that hard. I just "adjusted" a set of Trijicon night sights back to center on a used Glock 19 I recently picked up.

You can then revel in the fact that you sucessfully worked on your own gun.

Next thing you know you will be building AK's and AR's in your basement.

I've actually done quite a bit of work on my own guns including building ARs but that wasn't the point of this topic.  Apparently you've never attempted to adjust sights on a Beretta...it's not as easy as it sounds.  The sights are installed by a machine at the factory and the tolerances are VERY tight.  You either need a $150 tool to do it properly or a gunsmith that is willing to do it for you.  I ended up taking my gun to a local shop to have them adjusted and apparently the guy just used a hammer and a punch because now the finish on my right rear sight post is all banged up.  Pissed me off pretty bad.  I'm going to be sending my slide off to Trijicon soon to have some night sights installed by someone who knows what the are doing.  For future needs of adjusting sights, I'm just going to buy the damn $150 tool and do it myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top