Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 4:26:54 PM EDT
http://www.polymer80.com/Polymer80-Spectre-80-Pistol-Frame_p_1788.html

I searched briefly and couldn't find anything but very well may have missed it. This piqued my interest when I saw it a while back and I'm considering 'pulling the trigger'. I have no experience with 80% lowers but I've built enough guns and am handy enough that I don't think it would be too much to handle.
This seems to address many of the things I'm not very fond of regarding glocks, especially the grip angle. I'd love to throw a tricked out zev slide on it but doubt the budget would be nearly large enough for that.
Where are good places to shop for glock parts, slides etc?
...and if this has been discussed here before, point me in the direction of that thread or discuss here what may be problematic or otherwise troublesome with this frame.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Several times.
No cast-in steel rail inserts, the front rails are part of the proprietary locking block and the rear rails are cut into the base polymer...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Several times.
No cast-in steel rail inserts, the front rails are part of the proprietary locking block and the rear rails are cut into the base polymer...
View Quote

can you explain why this would be an issue? I can see why the polymer rails could possibly become an issue but is it a deal breaker for most consumers?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know of any other pistols with polymer slide rails?

Eta: you know we're talking about slide rails and not light rails, right?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you know of any other pistols with polymer slide rails?

Eta: you know we're talking about slide rails and not light rails, right?
View Quote

No, I didn't. Thanks for clarifying. if the consensus is negative regarding that I guess I'll move along. I saw this thing a while back but haven't had time to research it. I like the idea of it but I'm not dumping money into something that's going to fail me.
Honestly I don't know enough about stock glocks, the only one I have is an old gen1 17 that's probably got a bazillion rounds through it and while I don't care for the ergonomics, it still goes bang every time and no apparent degradation of accuracy. Being that i'm slightly addicted to building ARs, I thought it would be a fun change up and learning opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Springfield XDs have a similar set up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I put a few thousand rounds through my XDm with zero issues. Really, I just need to know if the caution regarding the slide rails is warranted.
I think it would be fun to tinker with and be able to build me a pistol exactly how I want it from the ground up...plus, I just like having different projects but not at the cost of functionality/reliability
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I put a few thousand rounds through my XDm with zero issues. Really, I just need to know if the caution regarding the slide rails is warranted.

I think it would be fun to tinker with and be able to build me a pistol exactly how I want it from the ground up...plus, I just like having different projects but not at the cost of functionality/reliability
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect you won't get an answer as there are few if any out there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably correct but if the xd series is indeed a similar design that makes me a little less apprehensive
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Several times.
View Quote

funny, I did a search and this is the only thread that came up

are there any other 80% Glock receivers besides the Polymer80 Spectre 80% Pistol Frame?

anyway I pre ordered one... to become a .22LR

now just have to learn Glock to be able to put one together from scratch
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your XD has polymer slide rails, it's airsoft...

ETA: nevermind
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/thoughts-about-xdm-slide-rails.203889/

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I pre ordered one, it's cheap & looks like a fun way to relax/tinker, projects like this unwind me after a work week.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your XD has polymer slide rails, it's airsoft..

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/thoughts-about-xdm-slide-rails.203889/

http://i66.tinypic.com/14xz1uv.jpg

I take it back, I was looking at this picture on a phone sitting in the airport and I don't own an XD

Just another reason for me to not really like them...

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I pre ordered one, it's cheap & looks like a fun way to relax/tinker, projects like this unwind me after a work week.
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Kahr CM9 runs the slide on polymer...
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the ruger p95
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it doesn't.  The Kahr polymer frames have steel inserts, just like a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]
so with the front rails that are part of the locking block being metal, would it be similar to the XD with the front rails  taking the brunt of the 'force' and the rears acting more as  alignment/stability for the slide?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm interested, but nobody has any real detail shots of the completed frame, or pictures of the finishing process. Every link I visit or YouTube video I watch is always the same 4 pictures.

I'm also wondering why, when making a Glock frame, they didn't just address the things that people most commonly bitch about with the factory Glock frame. They got the grip reduction and beavertail right, but WTF is up with the texture and finger-groove looking ridges on the front?

That being said... I'll probably still buy one.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
A 26 frame with longer dust cover to run a 19 slide would get me interested.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I mad a thread about them a week or two ago. The ultimate answer is no one knows for sure and there are many feels about the polymer rear rails. At the intro price they are worth while, at their normal price you can get a lone wolf timber wolf frame for not much more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Have these been manufactured yet?    Has anyone received theirs?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Have these been manufactured yet?    Has anyone received theirs?
View Quote
No they got delayed
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#24]
What's the release date now?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Email I received today

Hello everyone,

We apologize for the delay in giving you an update on the “Spectre” 80% Pistol Frame.  For anyone that has ever worked in manufacturing or on large projects, even the smallest modifications to the design or the process can result in week-long disruptions to schedule.  When we encounter a snag and find a solution through our design process, it takes time to implement the change on the polymer injection mold, even though the change is miniscule in comparison to the overall project.  This effort has had no lack of delays as a result of our design work and subsequent injection mold modifications, we continue to ask for your patience.

All in all, our aim is to ship you a top-notch pistol frame that is light in weight, durable, and precise.   While the wait is a little longer than expected, we know our customers will appreciate receiving a superior product.  Below is the outline of our project and where it currently stands:

Bottom Line:  We’re moving the initial customer shipping date to March 15th to allow for additional production and shipping preparations, final shooting tests starting hopefully on Saturday this week into Monday next week. Our goal is to initiate the initial production run on the 3rd or 4th. We’ll need that additional time to prepare shipments and then start shipping.

Again, barring any other challenges, production will start next week.

Completed:
Packaging/Spectre Boxes: The 1st delivery completed: 2/05/2016
Locking block sizing and live fire testing: completed 2/19/2016.  Locking block works great, tight fit.
First wave of locking blocks for CNC finishing 2/23/16.
We received  the first run of the Spectre Jigs on 2/23/16
Associated screws and initial end mill bits inventory: completed 2/23/2016.  We should now have enough end-mills & drill bits to complete our first wave of shipments.

Ongoing:
Final testing on Monday, Feb 29th through March 2nd. During this time we’ll be conducting additional builds and firing tests.  We will have video updates of the test shooting, for those that have asked us about a live product demo.

In the works:
Second Production Jig run: to be received March 7th.
Second Packaging delivery: March 7th.
Written Instructions: Working on it as we speak.
Instruction Video: Want to work on it, but would rather do the video based on the current production run units so “in the works”.  You may need to rely on the written instructions once you receive your frame.  We will work on the video the later part of March.

The frames will be shipped in accordance with ordering date.  We hope to have all pre-release orders fulfilled by the end of March.

Over the last three years, we’ve launched multiple projects and anticipated version releases, all with the help of our loyal band of customers. If you’re receiving this email, it’s because you’re a member of that team. We’re very cognizant of your continued loyalty and patience, and we thank you!

Sincerely,

David Borges
Co-Founder
Polymer80, Inc.
www.polymer80.com
[email protected]
C: 707-688-3631
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I received an email today that says they will start shipping 3/15 in order of purchase and should be completed by end of march
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife's Ruger LC9s has polymer rails.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Email received today

"Hello everyone,

We have now completed the initial testing of what we consider the final prototype of the S150 80% Polymer Pistol Frame. The good news is that it works great and is fairly easy to mill with a drill press.  We have completed all of our test frames and have experienced no siginificant problems.  Unfortunately during the test-firing, it was revealed that a final adjustment to the elevation is needed, which requires an adjustment on the injection mold at the Picatinny rail section. This change requires 10 additional business days to complete, per our manufacturer.

Bottom Line:  Due to the changes to the mold, our timeline will have to shift to the first full week of April, with the first day of shipping on Wed April 6th.  The change on the Picatinny rail is unavoidable; we have attempted to avoid making the adjustments in order to be on target for production.  However, we know our customers will be even more dissatisfied with a flawed final product than having to wait a couple weeks longer to receive their orders.

Completed:
•  Locking block sizing and live fire testing: completed 2/19/2016.  Locking block works great, tight fit.
•  First wave of locking blocks for CNC finishing 2/23/16.
•  Second production jig run completed 3/7.
•  Second packaging delivery completed 3/7.
•  Associated screws and initial end mill bits inventory: completed 2/23/2016.  We should now have enough end-mills & drill bits to complete our first wave of shipments.
•  Written Instructions (thank you everyone on our Facebook Page that provided input, we have made the necessary adjustments.)
•   Range testing: testing is complete; however, we will continue to shoot the sample units while we’re making adjustments to the mold.

Ongoing:
Final changes being made to the Picatinny rail to adjust elevation on the frame.

In the works:
Instruction Video: You may need to rely on the written instructions once you receive your frame.  We will be shooting the video on March 22nd with a production team; editing will follow.

We are getting a LOT of questions regarding shipping dates and which wave of shipments a particular order will fit in to.  Therefore, we’re announcing the following shipping schedule:

Day 1:  AB-5181 - AB-9061
Day 2:  AB-9062 - AB-11159
Day 3:  AB-11161 - AB-12484
Day 4:  AB-12486 - AB-13660
Day 5:  AB-13661 <

As you all know it takes about 5 business days for USPS to deliver the products. You will receive a tracking number as soon as the package ships.

We truly apologize for yet another delay in the production and shipping of your orders. We ask that you will continue to be patient with us as we make the final adjustments to what we absolutely believe will be an exciting, high-quality product that every user will enjoy.

Sincerely,

David Borges
Co-Founder
Polymer80, Inc.
www.polymer80.com
[email protected]"
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Received today

It's finally here!

Gather your tools, make some room on your work bench, and fire up your drill press;  the 80% Polymer Pistol Frames are going to production this week!

We’ve concluded final modifications and testing. The production frame will be called the PF940 (Pistol Frame 940). The SKU will also change on our website to P80-PF940V1BLK, translated means Pistol Frame 940 Version 1.0 in black.
on the website. The pre-production Spectre name and packaging will be outmoded after the first large production run.

Latest production and testing update:
A small team will be at the production facility tomorrow working on the final quality and production process, and also overseeing the initial production run.
The instruction manual is being revised. A new version will be out this week or early next week with some additional details on Hints/Tips and Tricks at the end of the document. It’s best to just wait until you get the product before you print this out because several iterations could happen in the next week or two.
The milling video is being worked on this week, we’ll hopefully have something to show you early next week.
There is a slight chance we’ll start shipping on Friday & Saturday, but expect early next week since the plant must ship to our facility for final packaging and shipment preparation.

Our service department will be on standby the next couple of weeks as people will start receiving their product and may have questions.  Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-517-1243 ext 907 or submit a service form on www.polymer80.com.  Those are the best outlets to quickly get a hold of us.

Once again, the schedule of orders is listed below:

Day 1:  AB-5181 - AB-9061
Day 2:  AB-9062 - AB-11159
Day 3:  AB-11161 - AB-12484
Day 4:  AB-12486 - AB-13660
Day 5:  AB-13661 and beyond

As you all know it takes about 5-7 business days for USPS to deliver the products. You will receive a tracking number in EMAIL as soon as the package ships. Tracking number emails are created at the shipment label creation point, it is automated.  Therefore please help to reduce phone calls related to tracking numbers by first checking your email to make sure the spam filter isn’t grabbing it.
Finally we want to thank you for being patient with us through the development process.

Sincerely,

The Polymer80 Team
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Instructions

http://www.polymer80.com/assets/images/Documents/Instructions/S150Instruction.pdf
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]
le sigh, arf costing me money like normal
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#32]
In a email today....

We have begun shipping the PF940 80% Polymer Pistol Frame last week on Friday.  We are happy to see our customers finally receiving their product and begin their pistol projects.

Production-wise, we are trying to make as many frames and locking blocks as we possibly can. Our previous  estimates were extremely hopeful and we are finding that at this point while running at maximum production, we are not quite able to keep up with the original shipping schedule. The reason being is that the coating and the heat treatment that we are applying to our locking blocks is taking longer than we have anticipated to complete.  We are hoping to have 2000 units made per week and disperse them between our dealer and customer orders. This is causing us to drastically revise our shipment schedule.  We do have the capability to rush production but at this point we are unwilling to take any shortcuts and sacrifice the quality of the end-product.  We are hoping to have all pre-orders shipped and completed between beginning to middle of May.  Pistol Frame packages are being shipped every day out of our Carson City warehouse, as new inventory comes in.

Once your package ships, we will automatically provide you with an email that contains your tracking number.  In the meantime we ask again that you stay patient with us, we promise that the delay is minor and we are getting product out as fast as we possibly can.

When you do receive your product, please visit our HOW-TO page to download the Milling Instructions PDF and begin your project. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us at 800-517-1243 ext 907.

We have also completed our Milling Video, it's undergoing a minor revision and will be posted tomorrow, once we do a full review.

Thank you again.

The Polymer80 Team.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I got my frame, it works great though I do get a bit concerned about the plastic rear rail... I think I can epoxy in a steel rail if necessary if it does break...

For those who are not familiar with Glock (I know not everyone doing this for the first time is), the locking block MUST be installed LAST. Assemble the trigger group, install it, then the locking block. The large pin for the locking block goes through the locking block, trigger, and slide lock, and so they must be in position when the locking block is installed. Also, install the large pin before the screws... The small screw doesn't seem to line up until you do that. You would then use a vise to press the locking block into the frame to line up the holes for the front part of the locking block.

Also when milling the rear rail be sure to favor the lower part of the jig slot... The slot is a bit wider than the included end mill. Fit the slide to the slot by filing the top of the rail down... I didn't do that and there's a slight gap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top