Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
I have several 1911 and all have 7 round mags. Today I bought a Chip mcCormick 8 round mag. With this mag full ( 8 rounds) it is very hard to lock in to my pistols and it is also very hard to push in the mag release button.
Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It is only hard to press the mag release with it full, right?

If this is so, just press the bottom of the mag up while pressing the mag release (the upward pressing will relieve the pressure)

The mag just needs to break in (the spring that is)

This shouldn't be a concern, it will not affect the reliability of the gun, and you should not be dropping a full mag in a combat situation anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info. I just didnt want to damage my mag release.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
No prob, bud.  

When you press up on the bottom of the mag (while it's in the gun) does the mag drop easily?

The best thing to do is load the mag fully (8rounds) and let it sit for a few days before you try and use it again.  That should break the spring in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you inserting it with the slide locked open or closed?  When inserting fully loaded mags with the slide closed/forward it will be hard due to no spring space available. Remember that the top round sits high so that the slide can grab it.  

I hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you inserting it with the slide locked open or closed?  When inserting fully loaded mags with the slide closed/forward it will be hard due to no spring space available. Remember that the top round sits high so that the slide can grab it.  

I hope this makes sense.

Well if he is inserting a mag with the slide open, when he closes the slide that will take one round out of the mag so it won't be loaded to 8, instead it will be at 7rounds.  An 8round mag with 7rounds I highly doubt would ever cause the mag release button to be firm.  You are implying that an open slide should not give pressure no matter what, so it is clear that is not open.    

From suspection the slide is closed with 8rounds in the mag.  Whether there is one round in the chamber or not is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks  I will load the mag and let it sit for a few days. you have been most helpful!

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top